CLUTHES NOT UPSHIFTING

MFARJM

I HAVE A 2011 GSX SE 1200 WITH 4775 MILES.IT IS COMPLETLY STOCK. AROUND 4300 I NOTICED ON A GRADUAL EXCELERATION RPM WAS NORMAL UNTIL OVER 65 WHEN THEY RAN UP TO REV LIMITER, 8600,. IF I LET OFF THROTLE TO 60 MPH, TACK WOULD DROP AND STAY AT 6300. ANY INCREASE IN THROTLE AND RPM WOULD JUMP UP. PUT ON NEW BELT. SAME PROBLEM. LAST 100 MILES I COULD ONLY GO 45 MPH AT 6000. FROM DEAD START I HAVE NORMAL REVS AND MPH UNTIL 45.THEN THE TACK KEEPS GOING UP.

IF I RUN SLED WITH TRACK ON A STAND AND WATCH CLUTCHES, THEY TEND TO OPEN AND CLOSE OK BUT IN STAGES. 4000-ENGAGES, 4500 STARTS TO SHIFT, STAYS SAME UP TO 6500, THEN SHIFTS. AT 100 RPM IS 7000. OF COURSE THERE IS NOT MUCH LOAD SO I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD TEST.

I CHECKED SECONDARY SPRING LOOKS OK. IF I LOCK BRAKE I CAN TURN AND PUSH INNER SHEVE TO OPEN.PRIMARY HAS SOME SLIGHT GROOVING ON INNER(ENGINE SIDE) SHEVE

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHICH CLUTCH IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM ?

A Friend had a 2012, 1200 and a spring in the secondary broke. It acted like you are describing, re-check the secondary. You need to pull both apart to do a good inspection. Not hard to do but you need the special tools.

Edited by Phil 1

My wife`s 2010 GSX 1200 had the primary clutch rebuilt earlier this year. I just had the primary on my 2011 Gade 800 rebuilt last week. The three ramps for the primary had grooves or notches worn in them and made for erratic shifting.

From what I have read, these clutches need a lot of TLC.

Jack

Edited by revct1

Thanks to all. After using the water trick to remove primary clutch, I found all 3 ramps @$20 deeply grooved so that the rollers would hang up in them and prevent up shift. Thanks again. PS - secondary was ok.

Thanks to all. After using the water trick to remove primary clutch, I found all 3 ramps @$20 deeply grooved so that the rollers would hang up in them and prevent up shift. Thanks again. PS - secondary was ok.

Thanks for telling us what you found. It will help all of us in the future. Water Trick??? You mean put water in hole to press clutch off? We use grease for that...

• 10 months later...

I dug this old post up as I just changed the ramps in my 2011 800 with 7,500 miles. The ramps had ridges on them, changed the rollers also. Not happening just to the 1200's...

The 2010, and 2011 had trouble with groove being worn in the ramps. It is caused a vibration coming from the 4 stroke engine. My 2010 did it twice, the second time it was replaced by a Power Bloc 80 clutch, problem solved.

Yes I understand that the PB 80 is the hot setup.

I finally put the PB clutch on my 800 e-tec this year. It was cheaper than a complete rebuild on the Doo clutch. I've got about 600 miles on it so far and it is smooth. It engages a little earlier than the Doo clutch. The bonus is I'm getting 1 more mpg with the PB clutch.

Jack