Trail tips. Here's what I'm thinking

Greg du Vermont

Tis the season to think safety. If we should happen to meet on the trail, here's what I'm thinking. This code of conduct was developed over 50,000+ miles of Quebec riding and was put to paper several years ago in a light hearted but serious effort to get the occassional newbie on the same page as those of us who have ridden together for years.

TIPS FOR BEING SMART & STAYING SAFE

1. HAND SIGNALS

• Hazards or surprise turns that you can see better than the guy following you - give them a wave

• Slowing or stopping - hand straight up, very important, guy behind is usually in dust

• Groomer - straight up, circling like a beacon. Off trail Wildlife (Optional) antler or jumping motion

• Road crossings - No waving the next guy on, everybody decides for themselves. Pointing to oncoming cars or absolute stop signals are acceptable.

• All other *#@*! signs are frowned upon, we prefer riders stay in their lane w/ both hands on the bars

2. SLOWING OR STOPPING

• Obvious hand signal ALWAYS especially for mechanical problems

• Pull to extreme right IMMEDIATELY

• No double wide stopping EVER

• Visible areas only

• Don’t visit in the trail

3. ALWAYS STAY TO RIGHT

• Oncoming traffic comes surprisingly fast, like missiles. Think about meeting yourself

• A safety margin of maneuverability is a good idea if oncoming sled is in your lane

• If you choose to cross over, have good sight lines (no hill crests) and get back quickly

• If you accidentally cross over get back quickly, it’s a good skill to practice

• Red trail stakes are for snowmobiles, blue trail stakes are for ATVs, VTTs

4. CRASH AVOIDANCE

• Crashing is NOT and option, don’t give up, drive it, make the turns and miss the problems

• In a panic keep your hands off the brake, you ain’t gonna stop and the throttle is your friend, drive it!

• If you miss the trail, look between trees or past obstacles not at them, you always go where you look.

• If you miss a corner, don’t stop or turn immediately, you may end up wearing the next guy

• If you have an incident in the trail, immediately get out of the way, others are coming and need space

• If you get stuck, don’t have a heart attack , make a plan, take your time, prepare exit path or just wait.

• People doing stupid stuff, rental sleds, groomers and wildlife, happen. Be prepared for the unexpected.

• If you avoid a problem, immediately get out of the way, the next guy also needs a place to go.

5. INTERSECTIONS

• Slow up, if no one is waiting to direct you, always assume the biggest most traveled choice

• If there was a guy there for you, make sure the guy after you gets the message as well

• It is not necessary to stop, just makes sure the next guy sees which way you are going

• Lost or confused, just sit there and wait, we have only lost one guy in 20 years, he didn’t wait

• Never let your mind play tricks on you and pick the goat path over the bigger trail.

6. PASSING SLOWER TRAFFIC

• Let them know you are there by revving engine or putting your light in their mirror

• Make pass quickly and where you choose, no blind corners, no hill crests

• Get back on your side ASAP

• Be aware that some people are A) oblivious to you being there B) never give you room C) randomly sway from side to side D) willing to put you in the bush E) going to get aggressive or F) all the above

7. BEING PASSED

• If the guy is there, give him space, let him in, there is no rescue crew waiting in the next turn

8. FOLLOWING DISTANCES

• Reaction time, visibility, the unexpected, you choose how fast and how close.

• If you live in the dust, you may die in the dust.

• Every 5-10 miles or so, try to make visual (light beam) contact with the next sled, if you do not (probable whiz stop), slow down till you see his light coming, blink your brake and take off.

• If the delay is longer than, belt change, plug change and whiz stop combined, turn around in a visible area and go looking. Don’t block the trail while turning and be choosy about turning around outside the trail, stuck always sucks.

• If the problem is major, stay calm, the system will work and sooner than later, everyone will be back

If all of those points were followed by everyone,our sport would be much safer. I think that those who ride on a regular basis realize the dangers and pratice safe sledding. Rentals on the other hand.. Last year in the Parc du Mont Tremblant I came up over a crest to have 3 yes 3 sleds parked abreast totatly taking up the trail, thankfully for studs, enough to slow me down and a quick reaction to more or less take the ditch to ride around the 3 sleds there was no incident. Guess what- They were 3 rentals and the guide who was stopped ahead of them was just shaking his head as if nothing was wrong... These are the individuals who should read and understand your points before getting on the seat.

I beleive you read it correctly. Road crossing= last winter I thought I was being waived on to cross the road,Ipulled out some, only to see an oncoming truck. We quickly came to the same conclusion "everyone decide for themselves".

Great rules to live by and I agree with all. Another you alluded to is you are responsible to make sure the guy directly behind you is there at least every few miles. Headlight contact is not good enough. Ive ridden for miles south of La Tape thinking a bud was in sight behind me and when I stopped, it was another guy. Bud had run out of gas miles back. Also agree on road crossings, don't wave anyone across but do point repeatedly towards oncoming traffic. Over the years have seen the result of almost all of the mistakes mentioned sometimes resulting broken parts and bones. Good refresher.

Glad to be a part of any conversation on smart / safe sledding tips. I'm sure everyone has stories of situations or bad things that have happened by riders not using common sense or being oblivious to the rest of the world. Came up on 3 rental sleds parked side by side on a bridge taking photos last year. The result was really interesting.

Regarding my hand signal preferences, I am a firm believer in limited, meaningful hand signals. I'll get heat for this, but I think that the signal thing is way out of control. I can't stand 6 sleds running nose to tail coming at me, one handed, struggling to stay on their side of the trail, all while they are telling me how many sleds I can see behind them. It's crazy, people have become obsesed with this insanity.

Don't get me going. This might be my pet peave. If everyone keeps both hands on the bars and stays on their own side, I couldn't care less how many are coming.

Are there circumstances where signalling is helpful?..........sure.

Are hand signals way over done and in many cases making the trails way less safe?..................sure are.

Glad to be a part of any conversation on smart / safe sledding tips. I'm sure everyone has stories of situations or bad things that have happened by riders not using common sense or being oblivious to the rest of the world. Came up on 3 rental sleds parked side by side on a bridge taking photos last year. The result was really interesting.

Regarding my hand signal preferences, I am a firm believer in limited, meaningful hand signals. I'll get heat for this, but I think that the signal thing is way out of control. I can't stand 6 sleds running nose to tail coming at me, one handed, struggling to stay on their side of the trail, all while they are telling me how many sleds I can see behind them. It's crazy, people have become obsesed with this insanity.

Don't get me going. This might be my pet peave. If everyone keeps both hands on the bars and stays on their own side, I couldn't care less how many are coming.

Are there circumstances where signalling is helpful?..........sure.

Are hand signals way over done and in many cases making the trails way less safe?..................sure are.

It's a sense of false security, just because the last guy shows me a closed fist I'm not going to assume He's the last guy or another group all together!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the 3 rentals you came across were the same 3 I almost made ground meat out of.... I would like to see a mandatory training for people who rent sleds. It might make some people realize that the simple yet dangerous and stupid things they do can have serious results- I came across another interesting rental possible wreck. Riding up a long winding slope ,I came around a corner to see 2 rentals (2 up tourings) riding down the trail side by side and the 2 women on the rear of each of the sleds holding hands. Both sleds stopped dead in their tracks when I came across them and had to hammer the brakes, once again blocking the whole trail. Thankfully another possible incident didn't happen. Not to stereotype, but it would appear that the European Tourists seem to be the least aware of the dangers.

Not to harp on the tourist too much, but it is so easy. My Quebecker friends call tourist "tous risque" as in "all risk".

Too bad the first thing they teach them is hand signals. The Mont St Ann area of the Quebec City area really seems to warrant great attention for this sort of thing. Since it is very hard to increase the level of their attention and experience, all we can do is raise our attention and expect the unexpected (that's one of the rules) Same for groomers, down trees and wildlife.....there out there.

I'm all for sharing our sport and introducing it to others. On behalf of all quebec riders the AdmdQ has made an attempt to have the rental businesses do a better job of orientation. We can all do our part by making sure that the people riding in our groups have their heads in the game.

If you have not yet become a member of the AdmdQ, consider it today so that we can all be talkingabout sledding throughout quebec for many years to come. :drinks:

admdq.org/welcome

Fantastic write up, I agree with all 100%

As a rule, If there is someone following me, even if we are only a mile away from our start point and they know there way, I wait for the sled behind me, at all intersections, road crossing's, water bar xing's ect:

I learned 1st hand a couple of seasons ago, being lost or stranded out there can be a little scary.

A few of us was riding the Valins area, my 1st time up there. It was night time, very few sleds on the trail.

We get to and area where a few trails come in together, when out of nowhere there are quite a few sleds headed in different directions.

I ended up following the wrong group, when I relized that, I turned back ,and went back to the intersection where we was all together last and waited.

It's amazing the thoughts that run through your mind. I looked back at it now, and I am glad it happen, it made me and the group I was with a little more wiser! :good: