Skidoo

lindasledgirl

What is it with the secondary springs on these things. My 2013 secondary spring broke last trip up with only 2300 miles on the sled. Is this issue resolved with a different spring?

Gizz, see your dealer. They will u/d the clutch - I believe there is a kit - or they will swap it to the new tower design for about $500 (negotiable). It was not strong enough for the 1200 motor.

**** Oops! My bad - you said SECONDARY ****

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Don't really think it works like that Bob the manufacturer's don't decide what they are going to bring out next year based on what the others did a week or two earlier. They probably knew last year what this year was going to bring ,also they can't bring major changes every year or two we can't afford it and they don't sell enough sleds to support it but it is nice to dream

For sure, car makers are out 4 to 5 years and these guys are too. Being half way through the decade lots of people had high hopes and they really kept quiet untill the end only to be bluffing. I think the 1200 has a great following and lots of those riders have been asking for more power. pumping up an existing platform is not to crazy on the cost side. Injectors are already out there, so is the exhaust pipe and it is bolt on and silent, you basically need 3 throttle bodies, an air cleaner, that is plastic molding, a regrind on the cams, very easy to do with computer maching that is already in house and will cost almost zero, and new software to the existing engine controll module, that is cheap. In reality they would easily be able to recoup costs on this quickly and it would have gotten a lot of Yamaha riders on Ski-Doo. When you look at 130 hp from a 1200 and 160 from a 1000 on the dyno chart you can see the fuel useage and power output from the 1200 is extremely conservative and this motor can very reliably put 175 tame hp on the table. You are right though, I am and was dreaming, they went after the 900 crowd last year, may next year we will get it, still dreaming that I will be able to buy one rather than build one, I have probably built 20 sleds in the last 30 years and I want to ride now.

I have over 13000 miles on my 2011- 1200 and no problems with the secondary. I did clean it once and moved the spring so it has less pressure and lowers the revs sooner., 6000 at 60 mph. I have replaced the ramps in the primary clutch 3 times. 2012 and newer have 6, mine has 3 so more wear. I can replace them in about 30 min. using the water method to remove clutch. Other than oil and filter change I haven't touched the engine. 1200 is in a GSX-SE and I average 15 to 17 mpg depending on the trail and my thumb.

I know where you are coming from but I don't that Ski Doo will gain that much more market share than they have already. Just my opinion and I don't know what the numbers are or claimed but I know what I see out on the trail and Ski Doo has the biggest sector I think. There will always be a small percentage of people that are so brand loyal that would stay on their brand even if they knew they were the worst. There is another group that likes what their manufacturer offers for the type of riding style they do. Years ago we rode cats then switched to Yamaha in the early 80's and to be honest I don't care how many times I am told me snowmobile is too heavy as long as the reliability,durability and build quality remains at the top of the heap like I feel it is that is where I am staying, I am a groomed trail/touring rider. If I rode off trail or Mountains I am sure I would be on something else

have ridden 2012 1200 mxz-x happily for 2 seasons and 5500 miles. season 3- powderlites stage 2 turbo, with 700cc injectors, thicker head gasket, dropped compression from 11-1 to 9-1. T a pp billet clutch, stock secondary with stronger spring, dropped gearing to 41t lower, and just switched track with track usa kit 137 renegade ice attak track. Very fun again to ride. cost effective, probably not, but what is in this stupid sport we play at?

have no idea yet what plan is for 2015, thinking gonna ride 2012 again, Dave at Powderlites insists that this 1200 motor should go easily 20k plus.