Crossing the St Lawerence

SkippyDoo

There is a guy with a van and trailer that will take you across in Quebec city from Hotel Bernieres. we did it last year. He does it til 9pm. The coolest way I ever crossed was from Matane to Baie Comeau on the Ice Breaker Ferry!!

Can anybody tell me the best way to get across the St Lawerence river ? Like if starting a trip from Vt ? I see there are a few options. Berthierville ? Trois Rivieres ? Levis area ?

I've done levis with your cousin. Called a tow services I think for the bridge.

Does Jim still put in his time? Think Melissa backed off few years back. Haven't spoken to them in years since that last tour actually generally the tow services advertised on the local maps.

Edited by rmk

I've done levis with your cousin. Called a tow services I think for the bridge.

Does Jim still put in his time? Think Melissa backed off few years back. Haven't spoken to them in years since that last tour actually generally the tow services advertised on the local maps.

My cousin, lol. I wasn't related to the guy. Is that what you guy's thought ? I don't know if he still rides. He would be getting up there by now. I did talk to him by phone about 3 years ago. I had some questions about Quebec, he answered all of them, then proceeded to tell me about his last trip to Labrador that he made. I would love to do that one someday. I only met Melissa once at the end of that tour. Hat's off to her though for following that guy up the coast of Labrador. The last day of that trip was unreal. I think you guy's got a lift back to Escoumins because of that storm. The Pelchat trail wasn't even broke yet, let alone groomed. There was absolutely nothing that resembled a trail except for the gap in the trees. There had to be 4 ft of new snow in there.Then the drifts. It was unreal. But off we went. I truly thought he was crazy at that point. After getting stuck numerous times I began to think turning around would be the better option. But we eventually ran into some guy's on wide track yamaha's. They helped us get unstuck, turned around and headed back towards Escoumins with us. I'll never forget that day. Do you still ride with those guy's ?

My cousin, lol. I wasn't related to the guy. Is that what you guy's thought ? I don't know if he still rides. He would be getting up there by now. I did talk to him by phone about 3 years ago. I had some questions about Quebec, he answered all of them, then proceeded to tell me about his last trip to Labrador that he made. I would love to do that one someday. I only met Melissa once at the end of that tour. Hat's off to her though for following that guy up the coast of Labrador. The last day of that trip was unreal. I think you guy's got a lift back to Escoumins because of that storm. The Pelchat trail wasn't even broke yet, let alone groomed. There was absolutely nothing that resembled a trail except for the gap in the trees. There had to be 4 ft of new snow in there.Then the drifts. It was unreal. But off we went. I truly thought he was crazy at that point. After getting stuck numerous times I began to think turning around would be the better option. But we eventually ran into some guy's on wide track yamaha's. They helped us get unstuck, turned around and headed back towards Escoumins with us. I'll never forget that day. Do you still ride with those guy's ?

No did a lot of pre trip riding and tours with and for him over the years,but that trip and frankly for some time coming things became a more about me situation. Jim lead us to believe you were family what ever. Most of that group is up in age. He never knew when to quit or play safe. Spent more then one night no sign very low on fuel and no clue how far. If I recall correctly one night in a warning but. But I don't kiss and tell.

Yes we rented a truck drove up to the rigs and drove back to the hi and loaded up. We knew what that was going to be. With a group that age could have turned very bad.

Edited by rmk

He still rides but doesn't do tours

Thanks for the info !!

Glad to hear he still rides. I alway's look for him when I'm up there, but have never ran into him. He doesn't seem to stay in one area. He could be anywhere in the whole province. I hope he is at least riding with somebody and not out there by himself. I get what your saying, but that's what he liked to do. He is going to finish his ride no matter what, plus he had somewhat of a schedule to keep. So he made his decisions based on that. Just not so sure everybody else in the group was looking for the same type of thing. He ran a tight schedule for sure. I enjoyed riding with him though, and went up a few times with him in late march for a couple of years. He had a lot of stories to tell, that's for sure. I learned alot about riding in Quebec from him for sure, like if your sled is not using oil like everybody else's is... You where part of that group that had problems right ?

We crossed twice last week. Stopped at Hotel 55 for the night. Two hours before we wanted to cross we called the number Florida Snowman suggested i.e. 819 233-4414. There was a bit of a problem with the French – English conversation but with some help we made the arrangements. Two hours later they showed up at Hotel 55 with two ramp trucks and a van. Gordon, one of the drivers spoke very good English. We loaded up the sleds and drove ourselves across in the van following the ramp trucks.

On the return, about an hour before our arrival at the pick up location, we called the same number. Again there was a bit of a problem with the French – English conversation but we gave them our phone number and Gordon called back. Arrangements were made to meet in an hour on the trail where we were dropped off. We got to the spot a few minutes early and a few minutes later the trucks showed up.

4c09313f-b109-4884-a95f-cbaca9b0109e_zps

Edited by T3R3