Oil, Oil, OIl, question

GTSE800

When I purchased my sled back in 05 I only used Doo full Synthetic oil for about 4000 miles or so.

Then I swicthed to the Syn Blend, (doo to cost.)

Know I am thinking of using regular Mineral oil. (Doo)

My question is,

Is it OK to go from Synthetic to Mineral? or will it cause problems.

Thanks for any input.

Should't cause any issues. They will mix fine.

FYI. RenegadeBraap and Big Braap have over 10K miles on their sleds using Mineral oil only with no issues.

I think Bill uses regular mineral too and you know how many miles he puts on....

Should't cause any issues. They will mix fine.

FYI. RenegadeBraap and Big Braap have over 10K miles on their sleds using Mineral oil only with no issues.

I think Bill uses regular mineral too and you know how many miles he puts on....

Yes, I do use SD mineral oil. Great stuff.

** as a note the NEW BRP Semi is suppose to be better, I did some testing at the end of last year with my Mach and an 09 Proto, and it has very little smell for less $$ than regular Full Synth ***

Doesn't it depend on the engine? It does according to the manual anyway. My 500SS was mineral, 600-SDI was semi, and the new ETEC is the new-semi.

I've also seen chatter on dootalk about an inexpensive Castrol, which is readily available at any gas station in Quebec.

Doesn't it depend on the engine? It does according to the manual anyway. My 500SS was mineral, 600-SDI was semi, and the new ETEC is the new-semi.

I've also seen chatter on dootalk about an inexpensive Castrol, which is readily available at any gas station in Quebec.

Andyman and I were at Garneau's on Sat morning to pick up the E_TEC for the Gatherin. Wayne told us this year's Semi will replace last year's Semi and is for the E-TEC and all other sleds that require Semi. There are a lot of guys who use mineral in the SDI engines with out any problems. But you are correct the Manual does say Mineral for the 500SS and Semi/ Full Syn for the SDI's or at least my manual, 06, does. I know guys who use the Castrol oil in there 500SS engines and have not had any problems. But I had an experience using other than SD oil and there were questions about the oil I was using. This happened in Quebec, not the US. Don't know what the deal is in Quebec about warranty using other than SD oil. SD was not going to honor the warranty if I was using any oil other than SD oil. I go up to Quebec to ride not go to court. The difference is $ of using SD oil vs other mfgs is not enough for me to even thing about using any other oil. If the sled goes down and I am using SD oil no questions asked. I use about 12 gallons of oil per season, 10,000 miles. If I can buy other oil $10/gallon cheaper, I save $120. Not worth it to me.

Actually the reason synthetic blend is needed in the SDI's is because of where the fuel is injected into the cylinders. The gas has a tendency to wash the lube off the cylinder walls therefore causing a lack of oil at that spot. My SDI has just under 10,000 with no problems on the blend. A liter in 230 miles works for me. Not sure I'd try the straight mineral oil. You can droip a couple grand in Quebec for engine work in a heartbeat. I suppose if you don't ride too hard the straight mineral oil might be ok, but not for me.