Best/Worst Trails

scorpionbowl

In your opinion, what are consistently the best and worst trails in Quebec, and why?

For me, last year's best trail was M20, in the Mauricie region. This trail has little traffic, and is always perfectly groomed, and they've finally stopped logging it. The M21 off-shoot is also pristine, but you have to be careful with gas going out there.

The worst trail is the section of TQ3 between TQ73 & 320. It's probably due to the city traffic. In fact, on March 30 of this year, I saw more snowmobiles on this section of trail than I probably saw during the entire year.

Here's a picture of the intersection of M20 & M21. M21 may be one of the least travelled sections of maintained trail in Quebec since it goes out 35 miles to a dead-end, and then the intersection is at least 40 more miles to gas.

I would have to say one of the worst trails is the 318 between Saint Michel Des Saints and Saint Zenon. Basically the trail is always busted up, littered with football sized rocks, the south facing side of the trail on Mont Trinity turns to mud in the spring, then freezes to become a solid ice - mud- sand - rock covered "If you don't have studs your gonna wreck either going up or coming down" trail. Washouts are there as well when there is rain.I think the one time it was nice I can within of inches of having a deer park itself on my cab. Never the less we still take it at least once a year. We always like to have a stop at the top of the mountain as the view of Saint Michel, Lac Taureau and the now closed lumber mill is quite spectacular.

For me the best Trail is any leading to Quebec :yahoo: to go riding and the worst trail is the one coming back to work. :wacko: maybe one day I can get a job like dollar Bill (I mean Saguenay Bill) has. :lol:

10-4, there is no doubt that the TQ3 around Quebec City is generally as bad as it gets. Even after grooming it is generally pounded to shit 45 minutes later, with all the traffic they enjoy on the weekends. From Wendake all the way out past Sainte-Anne, it sucks 95% of the time..

Now, as to the positive. My favorite "trail" is the RR grade from Quevillon to Chapais. Honorable mention goes to segments of TQ 93 from Senneterre to Amos.

Stangely enough, even in the congestion of Lenaudiere in the St-Michelle-Zenon-St-Donat area, the trail system cared for by the Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci Club is often spectacular. Stretches of 33 and 43 are generally very good, and their "back" trails like 310 from the Caribou Park Gate into St-Donat, or down to Notre-Dame are often incredible. 343 from Entrelacs to St-Come is another pleasant surprise. That little club is always in the top-five for grooming awards each year. I register one of my sled with Notre-Dame each year. (my wife likes the windscreen decal of the pont suspendu).

timbo

Best trail, that is easy! The trail between Baie Comeau and Godbout. It is short, only about 65 miles but an incredible ride. After one more tour on it, I may have to change that to between Baie Comeau and Sept Ilses. I went to Sept-Iles last winter and that was a fanominal trail. I find it hard to pick the worst trail, because you can hit any trail that has been trashed and overdue for grooming. I think the worst trail I was ever on was NW of La Dore between the sawmill and the relais 20 miles east of Chibougamau. It was 75 miles of pure hell. Didn't need that on the end of a 340 mile day.

Worst trail I have ever ridden on was from TQ73 I think... from Saguney area down to St Raymond. 100+ miles of pure HELL. 3-4 whoops. Groomer must have been broken for weeks.

We reluctantly rode the same section 12 months later and it was flawless.

Worst trail I have ever ridden on was from TQ73 I think... from Saguney area down to St Raymond. 100+ miles of pure HELL. 3-4 whoops. Groomer must have been broken for weeks.

We reluctantly rode the same section 12 months later and it was flawless.

Weird...that section has been very nice everytime we have hit it.... TQ73 from La Tuque to Relias 22 has had some nasty sections time to time..especially with skinny snow conditions. Sometimes long sections of TQ83 from relias 22 to St. Hedwidge-de Roberval get pretty wooped up to. Not sure about last few years but consistently the worst trail wev'e been on is 345 from Manawan to Repos. TQ33 in the same area hasn't been great at times also.