What communicators are people using?

doubler

Wondering what communicators people are using? Please include manufacturer and model because as I’ve seen with Sena and Uclear there are many different models. Also could you include what helmet it’s on? I’m looking for new communicators for the oxygen helmet. Wife hasn’t been riding since mid 2000’s but is going to go this year. Back then we had Collett and they worked decent. Biggest complaints back then were sometimes my jacket collar would hit the speaker tube and activate the mic and getting the mic at the right location, I remember sometimes having to take my hand and push my helmet up in the front in order to talk.

21 minutes ago, No Hair said:

We have the last years uclear and the oxygen helmets. Both are awesome install was easy. Hardest thing was sinking them together. But once that was done they worked great.

So is that the motion 6? If I understand what I was reading/seeing with the Uclear, the microphone is up near your cheekbones correct? Meaning no microphone on a boom out in front of your mouth?

I have the Uclear Amp Pro from last year.  They worked great in the BV2S.  Helmet to helmet you needed to speak up due to the breath box.  I just moved them to our new Oxygen helmets last night and tested.  They worked even better due to no breath box.  I stitched the microphones in on the cheek pads.  Some put them in on the brow.  I also removed the ear muffs  and stuck the speakers on the existing Velcro where the ear muffs were.  Uclear has two new models that replace the Amp Pro,  Motion 6 for up to 6 communicators, and Motion Infinity for I guess an infinite number.  As far as mounting, they look like it’s pretty much the same as the Amp Pro.

We (five) of us bought Cardo with new helmets. we put sometime into this, and we think we made the best choice, the unit is waterproof (not the mike), JBL speakers, can download music, radio, phone, voice activation. Four of us  heading north to St. Michel, two of the guys have new Ski-doos to shake down, weather permitting let you know the quirks with them.

We have the Scala/Cardo Pack Talk for about 4 years. They work great use them on the sleds, the scooters and the bikes. When it is very cold the batteries dont last all day but we usually charge them up at the lunch stops and they are pretty good then. We have our 2 on older Snoforce modular helmets but others in our group had them on the Oxygen last year

I have used “COLLETT” brand for about 12 years now. Unfortunately the owner recently passed and family is shutting the doors. They are very good units, and would love to see someone step up and keep it going. Not sure what to replace them with, have about 8-10 people who use them.

Snappy Hank

6 minutes ago, Snappy Hank said:

I have used “COLLETT” brand for about 12 years now. Unfortunately the owner recently passed and family is shutting the doors. They are very good units, and would love to see someone step up and keep it going. Not sure what to replace them with, have about 8-10 people who use them.

Snappy Hank

We just went with the Uclears last year and they do unlimited users, depending on the model.

GutZ

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread…..who is successfully AND happily using communicators in a group of 3 or more? Which brand and model? What do you like/dislike with them?

3 Sena 20S are giving us fits, the exact same crap reported frequently on the Sena community support forums for years with no answers from Sena and no fixes.…. crackling and popping sounds that come and go. Not as noticeable in a pair, but really annoying in a group of 3. Also reported with 50S so it appears they’re unwilling to admit to the issue.

Reading good and bad reviews of Sena, Cardo, Uclear…..seems like a lottery or a crapshoop buying and trying.

Since I responded back in 2019, I’ll update.  Last year my Uclear Amp Pro, had an open mic that I couldn’t correct. Killed the battery in under an hour when in intercom mode (talking with others). Four guys in our group added the Uclear Motion 6 with great success. Three have Oxygen helmets one guy was still in a BV2S, he now has an Oxygen for this year.  I purchased a Motion 6 as well this year since we already had four of the six of us using them.  Installation was simple in the Oxygen helmet. I do not use the ear muffs that come with the Oxygen. I found it too quiet when you’re standing trail side talking to each other. Here is a YouTube link that you may find helpful.

https://youtu.be/HIDScKqZU74

9 hours ago, NH-Moose said:

Reviving an old thread…..who is successfully AND happily using communicators in a group of 3 or more? Which brand and model? What do you like/dislike with them?

3 Sena 20S are giving us fits, the exact same crap reported frequently on the Sena community support forums for years with no answers from Sena and no fixes.…. crackling and popping sounds that come and go. Not as noticeable in a pair, but really annoying in a group of 3. Also reported with 50S so it appears they’re unwilling to admit to the issue.

Reading good and bad reviews of Sena, Cardo, Uclear…..seems like a lottery or a crapshoop buying and trying.

My wife and I have Sena 30k's. We love them. Batteries last all day, No static whatsoever. You can interrupt each other unlike the old colletts. My brother has Sena 20's and when pair up with his group, everyone with a 20 is full of static.

We have moved to the UClear and have been very happy with battery and sound quality 

schooter

We used to have colletts and were very happy with them and would have bought them again but it was time for new ones. After some research we decided to go with Cardo Packtalk Bolds.They are supposed to be weather proof. You can pair up to 15 riders via their DMS mesh technology and can also connect to other brands via bluetooth.We use the boom mic on our various modular helmets. Only used them for the first time 2 weekends ago. The range seems to be a little less than the colletts but each unit is supposed to act like a repeater and on motorcycles they claim 15 riders can be strung out up to 5 miles and the front can talk to the back as long as each rider is in range of the next one. The voice activation is great and the sound is crystal clear without having to raise your voice to activate them. The battery life seems to be around 7-8 hours which is about 3/4 of a day for us ( if we start out at 7:00 )compared to the colletts which would last all day, but on them, there was a battery pack that we kept warm in our bib pocket and it was large compared to the packtalk where the battery is in the headset itself and much much smaller and is out in the weather/wind on your helmet.  So I wouldn't expect it to last as long. If we give them a charge  at lunch or a clubhouse visit with a portable phone charger we should be good for the day. Will find out more this weekend.

×2 on packtalk bold , we've used collett, and scala riders , over the years all have plus and minuses... last year we we're in -30c and by 3pm the packtalks were shutting down with low battery, so this year ive bought a power pack to charge them at lunch time. The range on packtalk is around 1 mile unlike the collett's which is about 2 miles. But if there's a group of you the packtalk has mesh connect that bounce the signal from one rider to the other.... but at the end of the day you pays your money and make your choice... and adapt to using the system..

Quick update on our Packtalk bolds after riding thru the polar vortex last Friday thru sunday in Quebec.At -25f and 40mph winds they would last about 4 or 5 miles and give us a low battery alert then a Good Bye and shut off. After we would go inside to eat and or warm up we would turn them back on and they would work for another few miles without trying to charge them. This was how it was all day. Our colletts never gave us any problems ,but we had a battery pack that was kept out of the elements in our bibs.The much smaller battery on these units are internal on the headset and exposed to the elements while hanging on the side of the helmet. Saturday they lasted a bit longer in the still negative teens weather. Sunday at -4f to start and warming up to 12 they were much better for the 90 miles back to the truck. Mine quit about 10 miles from the truck and the other 2 made it all the way back. I sit taller in the seat than the other 2 and am not as protected from the wind even with my ultra tall windshield. Maybe plugging it into a power pack in my bibs it would help, but at the temps Fri and Sat i wasn't about to try. The packtalks don't like the extreme cold.