blackjack1

Posi-Trail feedback

Recommended Posts

Any QR, member's have any experience with this device? Accuracy, reliability. im i correct in assuming all FMCQ groomers have this equip on board,                                                                          THANK'S MARK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, blackjack1 said:

Any QR, member's have any experience with this device? Accuracy, reliability. im i correct in assuming all FMCQ groomers have this equip on board,                                                                          THANK'S MARK

No experience with it, but it does say in this info about  (which was included in an fcmq news letter) that all fcmq clubs have equipped their groomers with it. 
 

56ACECC9-60E6-4771-AFAB-F2A88DB52BF8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now today, it detects all groomers that is a huge step forward in rider safety. Great concept if it took off with other sledders too. Some would likely say it is expensive....if it eliminates a few of those Holy F**k surprise meetings on corners and blind hills it is worth it. 

These things should be required by law to be mounted on the Lead and Sweep sleds in all tour groups (penguins).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Right now today, it detects all groomers that is a huge step forward in rider safety. Great concept if it took off with other sledders too. Some would likely say it is expensive....if it eliminates a few of those Holy F**k surprise meetings on corners and blind hills it is worth it. 

These things should be required by law to be mounted on the Lead and Sweep sleds in all tour groups (penguins).

I’d pay $200 more for a sled if they came as mandatory standard equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had one of those holy sh!!!t moment's a couple of weeks ago, and by the reaction of the groomer op,scared him more than me i think.he knew he was in a very comprimized position and it caused a near heart attack for the two of us on a very blind corner.. your expectations are always to meet an ncoming sled...but when that equipment appears crossways in the trail stopped..presents a whole new set of holy sh!!t pulpitations in your chest cavity=@

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cnc said:

I’d pay $200 more for a sled if they came as mandatory standard equipment.

It's brilliant of the manufacturer to provide them (for free?) to the club/federation groomers. 

It would be a different world if this was universal. Upside is clear. But downside could be ampd craziness from false security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would provide better security then when you meet a group of sledders and the last rider gives you the fist and another group is right behind him. 

I do like the concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

It's brilliant of the manufacturer to provide them (for free?) to the club/federation groomers. 

It would be a different world if this was universal. Upside is clear. But downside could be ampd craziness from false security. 

You are right,  and another scenario arises as this grows in popularity.  There is the danger that people begin to rely on it too much and there will always be those ghost sleds not equipped that pop up in a corner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smclelan said:

It would provide better security then when you meet a group of sledders and the last rider gives you the fist and another group is right behind him. 

I do like the concept.

It’s not that that bothers me so much, it’s the guy leading that comes into a right hand  corner too fast, realizes he’s not going to make the corner on his side when he see you and brakes hard putting the back end of his machine sideways across the trail as he passes. Had one yesterday on the 63 near the 325, I went off the trail up on the bank to miss him. Buddy behind me said his back end was with in an inch or two of me. The A hole almost came a stop down the trail and looked back, when I shook my fist at him, he booted it and took off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cnc said:

 There is the danger that people begin to rely on it too much and there will always be those ghost sleds not equipped that pop up in a corner.

When we see an individual or a group riding loose we'll signal them 1 more than are in our group, no potato, 1 more, watch for it...

Don't wanna send a death warrant to the next/"ghost" rider.

Sorry/not sorry if you think that's a weenie move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

 

Don't wanna send a death warrant to the next/"ghost" rider.

Sorry/not sorry if you think that's a weenie move.

Huh? Maybe we have a miscommunication issue here. Why would I think what ever you do to prevent an accident a weenie move? Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant by “ghost sleds” to be clear I simply meant once there are enough people using this posi-trail monitor, approaching sleds will show up on radar so to speak, those sleds not equipped will be invisible ghost sleds so to speak and come out of nowhere if people come to rely on the posi - trail too much. No really sure what you meant, what I got from it was if you see a sled or group riding loose or badly and you get past them you hand signal to on coming sleds there are more in your group than there really is, OR the sled or sleds coming at you riding loose or badly and so you  signal that there are more in your group than there really is. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup!  Always ride like there might be a busted belt (or groomer) in our lane around every corner or over every hill!

If someone comes at me over the "double yellow" I throw them an extra finger to (hopefully) keep them on their side.

I'm with you Cnc!  100%!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collett Communicators equipped groomers with warning beacons (GWBs) that emitted a “wee-waahh, wee-Waahh” tone to your helmet radio. I rarely got an alert In Quebec but regularly heard the warnings in Vt + N.H.  As a groomer operator, it is always a scary thing to meet oncoming sleds

As others have said, it should never be depended upon to enable riders to ‘own’ a trail like there’s no oncoming traffic. 

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a dumb question. But how does this thing work for sleds behind you. For example if it becomes mandatory on all sleds, How does it differentiate from the sled 10m following behind you, and  the uncoming sleds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aj17ca said:

This may be a dumb question. But how does this thing work for sleds behind you. For example if it becomes mandatory on all sleds, How does it differentiate from the sled 10m following behind you, and  the uncoming sleds?

The answer is it doesn’t. 

If you are riding as a group (they call it a convoy in video) and you all have the units. They sync together and your lights are yellow. If someone approaches from behind or in front light turns red. 

Watch videos here...

http://surproinc.com/positrail_en.html

Edited by iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, one of our groomer operators has seen it flash once .... when he met a neighbouring club's groomer at an intersection.  Oh well .... at least we know it's hooked up right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.