Impact on Commercial Driver Strike

ChrisWright

Hi all.  Planning a trip for next Wednesday.  Will be spending a few days saddle bagging.  Thinking of dropping in Maniwaki, heading up towards Meekos, over to Kanawata, up top and down to Notawissi and then back to Maniwaki.   Curious if any outfitters are experiencing supply problems, including gas.  I know Repos has had fuel issues in the past, but mostly due to traffic.

Any insight would be helpful.   Thanks!

If you mean the convoy protests in Ottawa and more recently in other cities I don't think it will have too much affect.  It's a protest, not a strike.  It's not supported by the National trucking associations.  That said has definitely grown in size.  I'd avoid the major centers where it will be effecting traffic in many cases.  Trucks look to still be rolling on major roads from what I've seen.

My pals and I are scooting all over the place without any issues.   Friends are staying at the outfitters you listed, and today our clubhouse, just 50 km from downtown Ottawa, took delivery of 1000 litres of gas that we ordered only a couple of days ago.  Apart from the news (and line-ups at the Masson-Cumberland ferry because of slow down's on the Ottawa-Gatineau bridges), you'd never know anything was going on ...... 

19 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

Repos has had fuel issues in the past, but mostly due to traffic.

Business as usual last week, we timed a splash n dash perfectly, just before the noon lunch rush. Seemed like a younger friendlier gang in charge inside & out. And no whining about taking the credit card.

20220126_112446.jpg

20220126_112501.jpg

Thanks all.  So from what I am seeing the best plan would be to avoid Ottawa on our drive.  Here's where I need some help.  We usually park in Maniwaki and I've looked at using the ferry to cross the river east of Ottawa, but you then have to back track to get back up to Maniwaki and by the looks of things, it is still going to put you pretty close to the city and probably add a bunch of time.

So...Does anyone know of a safe place to park that would basically be right north of the very crossing, somewhere on trail 53.  I would rather be parked and riding before we got all the way to Mont-Laurier, 

Any thoughts?

I don't think you'd have any issues on the major freeways around Ottawa (416, 417).  Avoid the downtown bridge though.  You can cross up near Renfrew (Shawville area) on a bridge and head to Maniwaki still if you're coming through Ontario.  I've heard of parking in the Montebello area, but no first hand experience.  Check the Outaouis forms on here out.  There is some old posts on parking in that area if you want to go that route.

Our clubhouse is about 30 minutes (give or take) north of the Masson-Cumberland ferry (Google 149 Chemin Inlet, Mulgrave et Derry) and the road is paved almost to the door.  The Clubhouse is licenced as a bar/restaurant and we re-opened it yesterday (Saturday 5th of February)  morning for the first time in almost two years.  Although it's only open weekends (9:00am - midnight Saturdays;  9:00am - 6:00pm Sundays) our parking lot is open to all 24/7 and it is pretty large.  We also have an unloading ramp for folks trucking and not trailering.

To avoid heavy fines, and protect our clients and staff, all COVID regulations (vax pass, masks when not seated, etc.) are in effect.  

Although we've been there for almost 50 years, visitors from other provinces and states have only begun to discover it as a jumping off point in recent years.  One of our groomer operators told me there were a lot of trucks and trailers there last evening when he left for his run just after supper.

It's not currently showing on iMotoneige (on the to-do list), but it's just off the 323 north of Lac La Blanche on the local trail northeast to Montpelier/Duhamel.  We often scoot up to Maniwaki by heading northwest up the 323 to the TQ 53 and then you have a couple of choices from there.  Likewise, Mont-Laurier, once a big day's ride, is now a "milk run" via Duhamel and La Minerve.

Another groomer operator (we have two - soon to be three - machines) complained this morning of the snow not packing properly since it's so cold and dry, but apparently where there are forestry roads (about half of our network) conditions are excellent.

Bypassing Ottawa is a good strategy for now, even though the hold-ups are confined mostly to the city core (with the exception of the river crossings which can be problematic .... especially in peak hours). 

Have a great ride  however you work it!

Edited by Gullyrider

10 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

Thanks all.  So from what I am seeing the best plan would be to avoid Ottawa on our drive.  

No problem going thru ottawa. Just avoid downtown area. Exit at vanier parkway, turn left on vanier parkway all the way up to st-patrick, turn left on st-patrick then turn right on king edward and you are all set.

I am crossing mcdonald-cartier twice for work.