Lanaudiere (St-Gabriel/St-Zenon--Joliette/Berthierville 15 january 2012

towing

Today sunday, beautiful sunny morning, Krikri, Snowcruiser, Bily and I began our ride in St-Gabriel de Brandon. The plan of the day is to go to dinner at Marineau in River Matawin (Mauricie). The night was very cold and it's around -28C at start.... brrrrrrrr......

We go up north via trail # 63 and # 23 then.

DSC00358.jpg

Snow from the past week combined with the cold temp give full winter trails conditions

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

This is day and night for conditions compare to last week end

DSC00378.jpg

The last miles trail before the Cabanon are a little less good but had really improved. The scenery is beautiful

DSC00395.jpg

Unfortunately, I get a problem then with my sled. It was running fine but when I stop and restart, the belt slips and causes a bad skeaking noise ... a quick check shows me that the problem is the secondary pulley that not close properly, I suspect that the spring had just broken and I am a little surprised that it still works so well with a broken spring??? We must therefore Krikri and I forget to had a lunch at Mattawin and turn back ....

My ride partners also decide to change theirs plans and to accompany us a little bit and had their dinner in St-Zenon area. It's frustrating for us to tack because the conditions were beautiful and curiously if I don’t stop completely, the RsVenture going very well ... no vibration and although I feel that the engine a little more loaded on acceleration, that could almost go unnoticed. Anyway, we take advantage of our return trip in beautiful conditions.

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

to be continued

And we come back to our starting point on the lunch time with a lean 87 miles. We load it back in the trailer and return home. I dine and then check the Venture. What I suspected is confirmed: broken spring

DSC00480.jpg

I guess I was lucky it did not break right in the middle and not pushing at all ... 10500 miles on the meter ... I not expected that but I figure it could be worse . I had changed my two pulleys springs on my 2005 at 13 000 miles as preventive maintenance ... it is still early ... so I pick up the old spring and put it in to end the day.

Take #2: from home in St-Thomas de Joliette in extreme south of Lanaudiere

DSC00481.jpg

We take the # 43 and # 3 in Berthierville direction. The trail just been traced but it is surprisingly good. We must be very careful because there are no signs at all yet...

DSC00482.jpg

The # 3 along the railway track is very good and fast

DSC00484.jpg

We switch then to see what Berthierville trail looks like

DSC00489.jpg

Once near the city, we see that the trail to the ferry to south shore of the St-Laurence river is not yet complete and is closed for now. Our curiosity leads us to the first river, they have already made the descent. I guess with the current cold it will surely be ready soon ...

DSC00490.jpg

We return, therefore, our steps and continue on the # 3 east

The fields ride pretty well

DSC00494.jpg

The Bayonne river can be crossed

DSC00495.jpg

Further east is acceptable in the fields but on the thin side. But it is possible to drive fast. It'll take more snow. We continue into the area of St-Cuthbert and we switch on the local trail that takes us back to Joliette. At St-Norbert, we see that nice big Bombardier which was fuelling at the village. It looks really clean ...

DSC00498.jpg

Fields to St-Elizabeth are fast even it’s a bit thin

DSC00503.jpg

And we return home with a little 50 miles more to a 137 miles total for the day.

In summary, this is full winter in the north and a good start in the extreme south. With the last snow storm, the trail network will be completely groomed and interconnected soon which is really great. The playing field had grow alot and now the trails will now have more chance to stay in good shape . Let’s hope the forecast for next week will be as correct as those of the past week and we get promised snow. At least for now, we have very good winter trail conditions

:drinks:

Alain

Thanks for the report Alain! We are heading up next Sunday and will be staying at LeCabanon that night. Then we will be heading for a tour 5 or 6 days to Western Quebec, hopefully the weather will stay cold. :good:

Hey viper

I just read a report on CMIQ french forum from a guy that recently did St-Michel/Gouin ride and he mention that he took the new #25 trail between Parent and Casey that gave him a 30 minute ride...

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/showthread.php?129001-Sentier-de-St-Michel-des-Saints-au-Barrage-Gouin

Alain

Hey viper

I just read a report on CMIQ french forum from a guy that recently did St-Michel/Gouin ride and he mention that he took the new #25 trail between Parent and Casey that gave him a 30 minute ride...

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/showthread.php?129001-Sentier-de-St-Michel-des-Saints-au-Barrage-Gouin

Alain

Thanks Alain, I think I will have to stop and talk to the guy at the Petite Gare in Casey and get some info on that trail. He had told us last year of a new "road"going to Parent that they were building and we saw the equipment even the year before, could make for a short trip. I had asked him once how far Parent was by rail and it was close something like 50km, crazy.