some thing you should read, its long

machmxz

I like to tell you what happen to us last year in Quebec. We started out at Esterel and was going to LaToque. Going down 310,looking for 343, some reason it wasn't marked. We found ourselves way south . We came off a lake, some tracks to the right, some tracks to the left. We took the left and came out to a road and follow the along the side for about 200 ft. We stopped in a driveway thinking something is not right. Looking at the map a cop pulls up with its lights on about 2 minutes later. First thing he said,where you guys from. I said Michigan,we are a little lost.He said that didn't matter and he needs our licenses.We asked him if we could tell him what happen, He sais no it didn't matter.This officer would not even get out of his car.So we bit our lip,while he was writing the 2 tickets I asked him where do we pay for tickets?He said it says on the back, I tell him we don't read french. He says get someone to read it for you. I asked him how much are they, he said $154 each, I said you got to be kidding. He looked up a laugh and said you got the exchange rate! We asked him if he knows where the trail is, no don't care. Well,we took the tickets and got away from him as fast as we could.

Later in the week we met up with our friend Bill,who is a promoter for snowmobling at the Holiday Inn up in Jonquiere. Told him the story, wasn't very happy. They are trying so get people to come to Quebec for snowmobiling and they are writing tickets like this. We said if they were $20 or $30 ok but not $154 each. He said we should call someone over this.So on the way back to Esterel we called Wanda there and told her of our problem. She said she will have a car to take us to a place where we could pay the tickets. Sure enough,we were in that parking lot 2 minutes,a car pulls up and asked who we are and tell us they are waiting for us at the front desk. Thanks WANDA,very nice lady!!!

When I returned home I called the Ministry of Tourism inQuebec and told them my story. They took my complaint and will send it to the police station. Someone will call and get back with you. After a few weeks I called back but nothing more. Called a few times after that but nothing. Then I called FCMQ office and told them the story. They sais the are having trouble with the police at RAWDOW.The man said they are going to have a meeting with them the first of the month. He will call me then. Well after a few weeks after the first of the month I called back. Talk to him a little a about it and said he will call back in 2 days. After 2 weeks I called back form not hearing from him ,I'll call you back in 2 days, same story. He did the same thing 1 more time. Have not heard from him at all.

We been coming to Quebec for 12 years, had from 4 to 2 guys,rode 1700-1800 miles each year, spent a average $1900 a year each.Met a lot of great friends, this is the first problem we had. As of right now I don't think I will be back to Quebec.. Just the way this cop treated us and the way people said they were going to call back. SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG, BUT I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING OUT THERE, Thank you stay away from RAWDOW

It sucks that they treated you this way, but i need to share a story with you what happened to me last year on the last day of the trails closing. We were at Auberge Le Cabanon in St-Zénon, we left to go to the truck (11am) which was in St Donat, right when i crossed the road out of the parking lot my suspension hit the ground. I broke a spring. There was no way i was limping the sled back to the truck so we went back to the Le Cabanon and the lady at the front desk called a guy that had used parts and he had the part i needed. She let us (strangers) use her mini-van to drive 25 minutes to get the part. Now don't forget, this was the last day and they were closing their doors at 3pm. I did not have the right tools to do the job so they opened up their garage and let me use anything i needed. The young cook their at the time helpped me remove my suspension and got me back on the trail.. I guess the reason why i had to tell you this story, don't let that bad experience turn you away. There are so many good people there that will do anything for sledders, as the old saying goes you always hear about the bad things but never the good things. And i do agree i will stay away from RAWDON just because of this story. Hopefully alot of sledders see this and the tourism dollars decline in that area teach them a lesson.

Question? What were the tickets for?

I live in NY. I have read many stories about NY police writing BS tickets that were for revenue generation. I have read stories about BS tickets in the UP. I guess cops will be cops. Its lousy when you get burned with a BS ticket.

In my opinion I would not let a ticket (and a cop that I would never see again) keep me from enjoying a great vacation on Quebec trails.

Thanks for the heads up on Rawdow.

It sucks that they treated you this way, but i need to share a story with you what happened to me last year on the last day of the trails closing. We were at Auberge Le Cabanon in St-Zénon, we left to go to the truck (11am) which was in St Donat, right when i crossed the road out of the parking lot my suspension hit the ground. I broke a spring. There was no way i was limping the sled back to the truck so we went back to the Le Cabanon and the lady at the front desk called a guy that had used parts and he had the part i needed. She let us (strangers) use her mini-van to drive 25 minutes to get the part. Now don't forget, this was the last day and they were closing their doors at 3pm. I did not have the right tools to do the job so they opened up their garage and let me use anything i needed. The young cook their at the time helpped me remove my suspension and got me back on the trail.. I guess the reason why i had to tell you this story, don't let that bad experience turn you away. There are so many good people there that will do anything for sledders, as the old saying goes you always hear about the bad things but never the good things. And i do agree i will stay away from RAWDON just because of this story. Hopefully alot of sledders see this and the tourism dollars decline in that area teach them a lesson.

Question? What were the tickets for?

I must say the people at Le Cabanon will do almost anthing to help when you have a problem. I have seen it many times there. 2 years ago I loaded and ready to leave -33C truck would not start. Dennis the owner came out took all the extension cords that where plugged into the groomers to get electric to me, opened the garage gave me there battery charger, all so I could leave. PLEASE DO NOT STOP COMING TO QUEBEC FOR $154!! You definately will not find this kind of trail system anywhere else. You ran into 1 bad apple among many people that want and need us there to support them in the winter. Just my 2 cents.

I live in NY. I have read many stories about NY police writing BS tickets that were for revenue generation. I have read stories about BS tickets in the UP. I guess cops will be cops. Its lousy when you get burned with a BS ticket.

In my opinion I would not let a ticket (and a cop that I would never see again) keep me from enjoying a great vacation on Quebec trails.

Thanks for the heads up on Rawdow.

X2,

I have not got a ticket on a sled ( a few driving to go sled, but that's another story) but I agree, Go to Quebec and enjoy the great trails that are away from Rainbow.

And thanks for sharing your story.

Bob

This story is really saddening because this is so out of the ordinary, that it's almost hard to believe. I do know that NY is different. I guess this "city" cop just doesn't get it. By all means, do not stop riding in paradise just for one bad apple. Stay up in the northern areas where snowmobiling is everything. I'm curious too, what were the tickets for? Riding on the road? Being on private property? It really is BS. Maybe he was jealous because you were riding and he was working, or, he was jealous of the exchange rate, (that's history), LOL. Well whatever the motivation, bite the bullet and file it in the archives. There's no place better to ride.

This story is really saddening because this is so out of the ordinary, that it's almost hard to believe. I do know that NY is different. I guess this "city" cop just doesn't get it. By all means, do not stop riding in paradise just for one bad apple. Stay up in the northern areas where snowmobiling is everything. I'm curious too, what were the tickets for? Riding on the road? Being on private property? It really is BS. Maybe he was jealous because you were riding and he was working, or, he was jealous of the exchange rate, (that's history), LOL. Well whatever the motivation, bite the bullet and file it in the archives. There's no place better to ride.

Yes he said we can not ride on the side of the road. We were parked in some driveway.

machmxz. It is too bad how things unfolded for you. However after 12yrs I don't think I would stop because of one bad expereince. I stood in the window of the HI in Jonquierre and watched a guy steal a buddies sled. The police didn't seem to care nor did the HI. Unfortuneatly these are some of the risks of snowmobiling. Don't let one bad epsoide stop you from sledding in the best snowmobile region in North America.

Sorry about your bad experience machmxz in my playground :sad:

I know that Rawdon was a dead end last season (#310 trail) but the local club work really hard to find an alternate trail with succes and the 310 trail should be opened again for this season.

For those who will visit my playground :D the trail condition on http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/index.jsp?numPage=235 will indicate in the "notice to user" area this kind of information (closed trail or alternate trail) and also, the interactive map on this site is more up to date then the printed one that is made over the summer and does not always reflect last minutes changes...

But it's really good to also ear about good experiences :good:

I will try to keep you inform of the conditions in my area, i am in the south near Joliette and ride alot in the St-Zénon area. Right now, no snow :sad: but i keep fingers crossed.....

It was on the 30 november last season...

dsc03910.jpg

Bye

Alain

Maybe the cop is just "doing his job". He got 100 complaints of snowmobiles in front of someones house, and you happened to be #101. I agree the officer should have been more understanding but that's not usually their strong suit. Don't let one bad experience change your plans. Speaking of bad attitudes, the border patrol (U.S.) could use some classes in public relations. When I go to Canada the patrol greets me with a smile and a "have a nice trip" then when I return HOME I'm treated as if I've done something wrong. I even make sure that I'm not wearing a turbine on my head.. :D

'

• 1 month later...

I was looking through the topics and saw this one and it surprises me. My group has been going up to Quebec for the past 10 years and been stop several times but no tickets. I don't think you going after 12 + years will prove a think. They could care less and why would $154 stop anyone from going to the best snowmobiling in North America, don't understand. Just don't back to the area. we rode in Michigan one year but it can never compare to Quebec. Being it your first problem get over it and ride the best trails in Canada.