TQ 93 - Chibougamau

snowrider3

Found this on the Federation site:

Region: Saguenay / Lac St-Jean

Sector: Chibougamau / Chapais

Condition: Limited

Comments: Barriere Nord closed for the season. 154,5km between Scierie 54 in the Park and Chibougamau

Updated: 2009-12-30

If you gas at Scierie 54 you should be in good shape on gas. :good:

If you gas at Scierie 54 you should be in good shape on gas. :good:

We are thinking of planning a trip up that way this season. I'm trying to find this Scierie 54 on the map so far no luck, can some one please explain what and where this is.

Thanks in advance

We are thinking of planning a trip up that way this season. I'm trying to find this Scierie 54 on the map so far no luck, can some one please explain what and where this is.

Thanks in advance

Scierie 54 is a sawmill that sells gas. This is the most important stop on the way to Chib. If you have a national map and you see where the trail (after leaving Ladore)MEETS UP WITH THE ROAD FOR THE FIRST TIME (rt. 167) It is about 60 miles from Ladore to the Sawmill. If you are planning a trip go on the fcmq website and request a map for the James Bay region this is a good map for trip you are planning. On this map it shows the sawmill (Abitibi-Consolidated) and it shows the Barriere Nord which has been reported to be closed this year. From Scierie 54 to Chib. is about 115 miles according to the map and from my memory that is about right. We gassed at the sawmill last year and then didn't even stop at Bar. Nord. It is more or less a relay with an above ground tanker, they put in to make it easy to go to Chib., all the newer sleds can make it pretty easy. :drinks:

[We are thinking of planning a trip up that way this season. I'm trying to find this Scierie 54 on the map so far no luck, can some one please explain what and where this is.

Here are some shots from google earth.

The pumps are at 1. When I stopped there I found the attendant in 2.

FuelStop.jpg

FuelStop2.jpg

FuelStop3-1.jpg

Edited by GT Rider

[We are thinking of planning a trip up that way this season. I'm trying to find this Scierie 54 on the map so far no luck, can some one please explain what and where this is.

Here are some shots from google earth.

The pumps are at 1. When I stopped there I found the attendant in 2.

FuelStop.jpg

FuelStop2.jpg

FuelStop3-1.jpg

Wow that's neat, I think though you may have too much time on your hands :lol: Usually when we ride in there they just come out, although I think last year we went into the cafeteria to track someone down. That's another thing artcat,they do have a nice cafeteria there where you can get something to eat. There really is nothing else to speak of until you get almost to Chibougamau. :good:

Wow that's neat, I think though you may have too much time on your hands :lol: Usually when we ride in there they just come out, although I think last year we went into the cafeteria to track someone down. That's another thing artcat,they do have a nice cafeteria there where you can get something to eat. There really is nothing else to speak of until you get almost to Chibougamau. :good:

One year i was passing through, there was a sign asking to pick up the emergency phone beside to pump and wait for someone to answer and tell them you want to buy gas and a few minutes later an ambulance shows up and the driver unlocks the pumps and you pay him for the fuel.

Another year i had to go into the cafateria and pay for the gas in advance and at that time it was sold in 10 litre packages and you were given a code to unlock the pump.

Another year i was sent to the administation office across from the caf and they called someone to pump.

My guess if you really want to know how and who is selling gas there this year consult with the president of the snowmobile club in La Dore that is if you really want to know. My experience from the past and i did this trip 5 times i just rode into Scerie 54 and just simply asked to buy gas,cafateria, admin office or the emegency telephone...they are there to sell so it will be made known to you how to buy.

In any case don't expect to ride in and ride out, it will take some time out've your day to buy gas there. Not saying the service is no good or they should'nt be there just the process takes time.

One year i was passing through, there was a sign asking to pick up the emergency phone beside to pump and wait for someone to answer and tell them you want to buy gas and a few minutes later an ambulance shows up and the driver unlocks the pumps and you pay him for the fuel.

Another year i had to go into the cafateria and pay for the gas in advance and at that time it was sold in 10 litre packages and you were given a code to unlock the pump.

Another year i was sent to the administation office across from the caf and they called someone to pump.

My guess if you really want to know how and who is selling gas there this year consult with the president of the snowmobile club in La Dore that is if you really want to know. My experience from the past and i did this trip 5 times i just rode into Scerie 54 and just simply asked to buy gas,cafateria, admin office or the emegency telephone...they are there to sell so it will be made known to you how to buy.

In any case don't expect to ride in and ride out, it will take some time out've your day to buy gas there. Not saying the service is no good or they should'nt be there just the process takes time.

Well put Trailblazer. This is a sawmill, not a gas station, they are doing this because of their believe in organized snowmobiling. The pumps certianly were not put in to make money from snowmobilers but to service their logging contractors and employees. Getting gas here is a privilage.