who makes the best

grumpysanta

please let me know if you had any problems with certain makes

Not sure they are the best but they are the one i use....In the best $60 I ever spend...

DSC06889Medium.jpg

They are bolts on the front of the running boards and snapped under them when not in use. Work really well even on really hard base. Here pics of my buddy skid and mine on the same trail last spring

my buddy Nytro skid without scratchers (this guys bought a kit like mine after this ride)

dsc05511.jpg

and mine with scratchers

dsc05610.jpg

The only flaw is that no reverse is allowed with that... In my case, I want to have something that will do the job in very icy conditions and the flexible one won't scratch as strong as those one in very hard conditions like the conditions you get on a trip on the next day after rain when all get frozen and the groomers don't had work the trail yet... With that, you dropped them down and go... Cheap, effective, easy to install.... took them at Royal Distributing...

As for the reverse, I had made a flag that I was clipping on the reverse handle when I put them down on my old sled just to be sure to remind to raise them before puting in reverse... Had to do that on my new one....

:drinks:

Alain

Not sure they are the best but they are the one i use....In the best $60 I ever spend...

DSC06889Medium.jpg

They are bolts on the front of the running boards and snapped under them when not in use. Work really well even on really hard base. Here pics of my buddy skid and mine on the same trail last spring

my buddy Nytro skid without scratchers (this guys bought a kit like mine after this ride)

dsc05511.jpg

and mine with scratchers

dsc05610.jpg

The only flaw is that no reverse is allowed with that... In my case, I want to have something that will do the job in very icy conditions and the flexible one won't scratch as strong as those one in very hard conditions like the conditions you get on a trip on the next day after rain when all get frozen and the groomers don't had work the trail yet... With that, you dropped them down and go... Cheap, effective, easy to install.... took them at Royal Distributing...

As for the reverse, I had made a flag that I was clipping on the reverse handle when I put them down on my old sled just to be sure to remind to raise them before puting in reverse... Had to do that on my new one....

Alain

Brand? link? where did you get those?

Brand? link? where did you get those?

Google Royal Distributing snowmobiling. You will see an option for snowmobile. Then you will see options on the left. I believe it's either under track and suspension or traction.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/inde...tPageNumber=142. There, try that instead. Use the arrows to flip to page 185, scratchers on the bottom. They look like a good product. I guess they ship to the USA.

Good info. Thanks.

No issues with them hitting the track?

No problem, the tips are at a little more than 4" from the track

Greasemonkey is right : http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/inde...tPageNumber=185

Page 185 item 12-17201

I think your right grumpysanta for kimpex brand...

If you want, like me, scratchers for very occasional use on very hard trails... they are a good way to go. They can be mounted enought front to spray on the whole lenght of the skid and the under footrest heat exchangers. The rail mounted kit by comparison spray much rear which is not a good thing. I use them on after rain trail conditions, morning trails at spring or very cold morning when you are the first to hit the trail.

If I had a 2" track and need the scratchers down near always, maybe I had choose the flexible model that work well in all conditions and can be install and forget...

Bye

Alain

• 2 weeks later...

DSC06889Medium.jpg

dsc05511.jpg

and mine with scratchers

dsc05610.jpg

ok i bought the same ones tried the ones on the rails first but did not fit 05 rx1 , but i mountd mine futher back , hope they work , may have to move forward like yours to get better coverage , i will try this weekend ,, ps , did you have any problem with the retainers when not not in use , I had clearance problems because of the heat exchangers so i had to make spacers . tks.

Alain

ok i bought the same ones tried the ones on the rails first but did not fit 05 rx1 , but i mountd mine futher back , hope they work , may have to move forward like yours to get better coverage , i will try this weekend ,, ps , did you have any problem with the retainers when not not in use , I had clearance problems because of the heat exchangers so i had to make spacers . tks.

The more front you mount them , the better they perform. The front bolts of mine goes in place of the front rivets of the footrest.

I reformed the retainer (twist it a little bit ) to have the same angle as the scratcher. No clearance problem with heat exchangers... don't forget the right and the left are not the identical.

Because a picture worth a thousand words... 3 pics of the left side from differents views

DSC07590.jpg

DSC07589.jpg

DSC07588.jpg

Alain

The more front you mount them , the better they perform. The front bolts of mine goes in place of the front rivets of the footrest.

I reformed the retainer (twist it a little bit ) to have the same angle as the scratcher. No clearance problem with heat exchangers... don't forget the right and the left are not the identical.

Because a picture worth a thousand words... 3 pics of the left side from differents views

DSC07590.jpg

DSC07589.jpg

DSC07588.jpg

OK thanks for the photos , you seem to have a little more room under floor boards and i mounted my retainers so the spring hooks from the inside not the outside like yours . I also cut a spacer out of a slide to space the bracket lower to ease hooking the spring. I will keep my fingers crossed , but it looks like it works very well on yours

Alain

Thanks for the pics! I bought these ones based on info from this thread and tried to install them today. I'm a little leery of drilling holes through the floorboards but whatever. Your pics are perfect and exactly what I was thinking of doing. Going on a Attak so it looks the same....

Thanks again for taking the time to take pics!!!

I tried them out today and they work great but i would not follow someone to close who has these installed cause they throw every thing ice, rocks and the second sled will get beat up and the rider too ,, it will chip the paint right off the cab

thanks for the pics and info , maybe we will hook up one day , you seem to get out quite a bit , you ride around the st. zenon area and parcs , i used to go up there a lot . but not much lately. have a good day.

Have you seen the homemade version of ice scratchers? Saw it on you tube. The guy drilled a 1/4" hole in each ski, about an inch or two from the back. Next he put about a 2 1/2" bolt up through the bottom, on the top side a couple fender washers and a pin through a hole drilled through near the end of the threaded section. Looked like it could work.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Towing for the info! I installed mine last night. Unfortunately I'll need them next week for my Gaspe trip!!

Pics were a great help.