The Good the Bad & the Ugly

600IQHO

I will start with the bad! Headed to St Zenon and the Cabanon on sunday. Just 20 miles south of the area I Iwas really concerned, low snow and all the trails we passed by in the truck were dirt or close to it. Upon entering the Zenon area trails where looking pretty good. We checked in and did a 65 mile loop down to Koubecs and up to Mastigouge park. Not bad concidering the weekend traffic just left. Down to dirt at Koubecs but the park was good. St Michelle is dirt I would avoid the area unless they get a lot of snow and cold, temps have been very warm. Do not go south. Decided to do a bag trip to Clova on Monday, 345 to the dam was good with icey corners and freshley groomed. 360 around Lac Toureau excellent. 33 north to Repo good to excellent. 345 to Manawan excellent and 33 west of Manawan also excellent adequate snow and everthing was freshley groomed except a short part of 33 toward Repo.post-269-1267039148_thumb.jpg

post-269-1267039089_thumb.jpg

post-269-1267039019_thumb.jpg

Now the ugly after fueling up at Manawan I noticed my wife disapeared, so I waited no sound all quiet, I turned around and just around the bend there she was with the hood up. The supposedly bulletproof Polaris 600 CFI blew up at about 5000k. At laest I think it did barely got it started and it did not run but about 2 more miles and then quit. Clutch side piston I believe. Long tow back to Repo and had to ride 2 up on a 1 person sled for about 90 miles. Season over amd my last ever 2 strokes. I will have 4 strokes next year or I wont go. Most disapointing season ever!

That was 5000 miles not KM.

600IQHO,

What year was it? I had an '07 that blew 2 pistons in 2 seasons. Have had numerous Polaris's since 1988 and never blew a piston until this one. Did you notice anything unusual about the amount of oil that it was using? I have 3 sleds ( all Polaris ) and that one used only about 1/3 the oil compared to the other 2. Come to find out later after spending a grand each time to fix it that Polaris had a recall on that engine that year on the oil setting that was wrong from the factory. I bought the sled used with only 300 miles on it from a private party so I was unaware of the recall. The fellow I bought the sled from swears he never got a recall notice. We found out that the notice was sent to the dealers and it was up to them to relay it on to their customers. I contacted Polaris only to be told that they couldn't do anything since it was out of warranty. How well do you know your dealer? Maybe he can help you out and pull some strings with Polaris. This happened to the above sled with only 3500 miles total. The 1st time was at 1500 miles ( I think the clutch side ), 2nd time was at 3000 miles and was the opposite cylinder. I traded for a 2010 Turbo LX. I love it so far with 900 miles. We are supposed to leave Friday for 8-9 days back in Quebec. We are waiting to see the snowfall reports to decide where we are going.

Gotta go 4 stroke. I've had them now for 6 years, since the RX-1, and I will never go back to a 2 stroke. Look at all the new, "state of the art" E-Tech's blowing up.

600IQHO,

What year was it? I had an '07 that blew 2 pistons in 2 seasons. Have had numerous Polaris's since 1988 and never blew a piston until this one. Did you notice anything unusual about the amount of oil that it was using? I have 3 sleds ( all Polaris ) and that one used only about 1/3 the oil compared to the other 2. Come to find out later after spending a grand each time to fix it that Polaris had a recall on that engine that year on the oil setting that was wrong from the factory. I bought the sled used with only 300 miles on it from a private party so I was unaware of the recall. The fellow I bought the sled from swears he never got a recall notice. We found out that the notice was sent to the dealers and it was up to them to relay it on to their customers. I contacted Polaris only to be told that they couldn't do anything since it was out of warranty. How well do you know your dealer? Maybe he can help you out and pull some strings with Polaris. This happened to the above sled with only 3500 miles total. The 1st time was at 1500 miles ( I think the clutch side ), 2nd time was at 3000 miles and was the opposite cylinder. I traded for a 2010 Turbo LX. I love it so far with 900 miles. We are supposed to leave Friday for 8-9 days back in Quebec. We are waiting to see the snowfall reports to decide where we are going.

They are both 07's and do not use hardly any oil. A 250 mile day takes about a 1/2 quart. I have been buying Polaris's since 92 and these are my 1st 2 sleds with engine issues. I do have an extended warranty so 50 bucks should fix it but that is besides the point. I have lost my trust in these 2 machines.

Gotta go 4 stroke. I've had them now for 6 years, since the RX-1, and I will never go back to a 2 stroke. Look at all the new, "state of the art" E-Tech's blowing up.

I agree I will definately go 4 stroke. I am told the 10% ethanol in the gas these days are really hard on the 2 strokes! When I bought these sleds I was still one of the believers that a real sled has a 2 stroke, but I had changed my mind even before this happened.

My buddy has a 07 IQ 600. Its on its 3rd engine rebuild. All covered by warranty but he has no confidence in it now. Sucks....

Unfortunately, Polaris has gone downhill in recent years. Big differences from the '80's and early '90's when they were at the top.

Unfortunately, Polaris has gone downhill in recent years. Big differences from the '80's and early '90's when they were at the top.

I have done some investigating and it appears that there was a service bullitin about 4 years ago for an oil pump adjustment. I have never seen this bullitin before and therefore I do not think that it was ever done! What this means is that both my sleds have been running very lean on oil. I probably use less than 1/2 quuart every 250 miles, I here that is not enough! I have to contact the dealer and find out how this could of got past him! Thanks to dream of green for the info, I will let you know what comes out of it. The engine in my sled probably has damage also from running it over 5000 miles lean.

I have done some investigating and it appears that there was a service bullitin about 4 years ago for an oil pump adjustment. I have never seen this bullitin before and therefore I do not think that it was ever done! What this means is that both my sleds have been running very lean on oil. I probably use less than 1/2 quuart every 250 miles, I here that is not enough! I have to contact the dealer and find out how this could of got past him! Thanks to dream of green for the info, I will let you know what comes out of it. The engine in my sled probably has damage also from running it over 5000 miles lean.

Excuse my candor, but its real simple to turn up your oil pump. Usually involves stop nuts on the oil pump cable. You should burn 1 quart per 10 gallons of gas, thats 40/1. Might smell a little but your motor will thank you.

My old 2002 XC 700 now has 12000 miles and has always burned about this much. Havent even had the heads off yet!!. Gotta admit, this is a freak for a 2 stroke.

My 07 600 went about 500 miles to a quart, sold it with 7500 miles. No problems, but scary low oil use.

Dave, sorry to hear about sharon's engine problems, as you know I've got a 600 CFI, it also uses scary little oil, 500 miles to a quart, the dealer told me there is a bulletin out for a oil pump adjustment and remap on the CPU, as well as a chaincase bracket, check your chaincase oil, mine started leaking at about 4000 miles, hopefully your dealer will take care of you on these issues, Hopefully we can get together for a saddle bagging trip next season. Bruce

Dave, sorry to hear about sharon's engine problems, as you know I've got a 600 CFI, it also uses scary little oil, 500 miles to a quart, the dealer told me there is a bulletin out for a oil pump adjustment and remap on the CPU, as well as a chaincase bracket, check your chaincase oil, mine started leaking at about 4000 miles, hopefully your dealer will take care of you on these issues, Hopefully we can get together for a saddle bagging trip next season. Bruce

Been on the phone 1/2 the afternoon, chaincase has been done as throttle cable and bracket was a nother one also completed. The CPU was remapped and paet of that was also the oil pump adjustment and both of them where done. Sleds both use very little oil after that. I now have to just wait for the dealer to tear it down and determine the cause. I am trying to work a deal with the dealer on a couple of left over 4 strokes. We will see what comes of it.

Especially for bag trips in Quebec, the 4-strokes are superb. Just think - you don't have to carry any oil! As someone said earlier, the ethanol doesn't seem to agree with the 2-strokes. There are definitely more engine failures and the E-techs aren't immune.