St-Zénon/Taureau dam/Repos/Manawan 6 march 2010

towing

We had a superb sunny morning (around -5C ) to start our ride yesterday 9:00am at La Glacière in St-Zenon. It had been cold last night so the groomers job went well and despite warn temperature preview for the day, we had top conditions to start.

DSC08024Medium.jpg

Because I made a trip in Bas-St-Laurent/Gaspesia last week, it was my first ride after the last snow fall there. I know that the mild temp of the last week melt a big part of the 15" to 30" new snow they received but with mix comments on the french forums I did not know what exactly expect... We decided to play safe and going north.

With my ride partner Yamteck, we took the #350 infront la Glaciere and ride in Cabanon direction.

DSC08028Medium.jpg

It left more snow than I was expected and the trails condition for our start were perfects, in the best I had this season...

DSC08026Medium.jpg

Very good and fast trails... we passed by Cabanon...

DSC08034Medium.jpg

No sand mix with the snow in Cabanon area...

DSC08037Medium.jpg

And even good on #345 to the dam...

DSC08041Medium.jpg

With plenty of snow we quickly arrived at the dam. We met there Agaguk (on CMIQ french forum) and his partner that reconized me from my ride reports. After some talking, they decided to ride with us in Repos/Manawan direction.

DSC08043Medium.jpg

On the other side of the dam, the #345/360 had a little ripple but a good snow cover...

DSC08049Medium.jpg

We understood why the bumps when we crossed the failed groomer with a broken track a little farther...

DSC08050Medium.jpg

to be continued...

Very nice day....

DSC08051Medium.jpg

We than switched on the #345 in north direction to Repos/Manawan. Same condition, some ripple but we keep a ggod speed

There are many crossings on this trail. The one I talk you about in an other report, the moose crossing...

DSC08054Medium.jpg

But also this twin student/skunk crossing !!! fortunalety, we don't seen neither one !!!! lolll

DSC08056Medium.jpg

good fast trail

DSC08059Medium.jpg

We arrived to Repos just past noon and as expexted there was already many sledders there so, in order to shape up the ride a little, we decided to do like the last ride and take the lunch a little farther .... Manawan go!!!

DSC08070Medium.jpg

DSC08072Medium.jpg

And we stopped at La Reserve to eat...

DSC08074Medium.jpg

We than fuel up, here the fuel tanks... not sure that the protections are against bears...Lolll

DSC08075Medium.jpg

On the last miles near Manawan, they opened a part of the road on which the trail is. They left enought snow cover to ride whithout problem...

DSC08078Medium.jpg

Back at the #33 crossing near the repos, we were tempted to try the #33 trail but I had read that it was pretty ruff (bumpy) earlier in the week. We decided to try it anyway.. the first part before the lakes was bumpy with a good snow cover...

DSC08082Medium.jpg

to be continued...

We than took the lakes that were in crazy good condition. Flat as a table and no bumps or slush...

DSC08085Medium.jpg

We were supposed to cross 3 lakes and took back the #33 trail but It was so good that I missed the junction and continued over the lakes. I knew that it was possible to catch the trail souther but never did it before. All the others were thinking I was knowing where I was going (unless my wife ) so near every body was happy !!! It was riding so good and fast that I didn't stopped....

DSC08089Medium.jpg

Yamteck and his Nytro...

DSC08090Medium.jpg

When we stopped around 25 miles farther, I confessed them that I was not knowing well where we were but that I knew it was possible to catch back the trail in searching a bit. As expected, at the end of the last lake the sleds tracks went in every direction and leave us puzzled... so we got to a cottage a little farther and two nice guys show us the way to get back on the trail 3 or 4 miles farther. A little break when we got back on #33

DSC08094Medium.jpg

The #33 was the less good part of the ride with very bumpy condition, we were very happy to had skipped a part with our nice lake shortcut.

DSC08098Medium.jpg

When we got a #360 junction near Canadaventure auberge, we decided to take a sure value and got back to the dam in place of going to St-Michel because it's usually the best trail part around the lake and we expected better trail condition and grooming on this side than St-Michel. It turned out to be a very good choice, as usual this trail was near perfect and ride like an highway, very fast..

DSC08104Medium.jpg

My partners...

DSC08111Medium.jpg

And very quickly we were back to the dam...

DSC08115Medium.jpg

It was too late for more pictures, the #345 down the Cabanon suffered from the day traffic and was well bumped but we still been able to keep good speed. I watched out for crossing the grommer over a curve because I knew that they started thier route at sundown when temp. get back below freezing point and as expected, we crossed two of them around 10 miles from Cabanon before getting there at around 18:30. Agaguk and is partner that had dropped thier sleds there in the morning load back and got back on the road to get home. Yamteck and us stayed at Cabanon for supper, it left the time for the groomer to prepare us the trail for the last 20 miles to la Glaciere.

The strategy was near perfect and we passed the dozer 2 miles before getting back to the trailer

DSC08117Medium.jpg

To conclude, a superb ride!!! we saw in the whole day 2 small dirt spots on the #360 in a curve infront of the failed grommer and 2 small others on the ruff section of the #33 on the top of an hill facing south... and alot alot of snow!!! It have been mild over the day but the trails kept hard and suffered more from the traffic than the temp. Can't tell for others area but those I rode have enought snow to hold for a while if the snowmobiles clubs keep grooming...

Stay tuned....

A special thanks to my ride partners that share this ride with us, we had a real great time... :drinks:

Alain

Great report Alain, I won't be coming back up this winter it is time to go to work :lol: but hopefully anyone looking for one last trip will read your report. The photos were excellent :good:

great report! well layed out. A freind of mine called me late last night from saint michel. He arrived there sunday am and headed north to parent/casey/clova, chibougomou. He said all those areas were great, lots of snow and well kept. he also said that sant michel was pretty beat and actually reccomended we do not rid eout of there but rather drive further north. He didnt pass by le cabonon or to river matawin way so I cant pass on any info of this week from there.

we may reroute and head to gaspe instead as the drive time from upstate NY to Mont Joli, gaspe is about the same as driving to st michel and then 2.5 hrs more up a crap load of dirt roads to parent, so he said.

think snow, we need another storm!!

great report! well layed out. A freind of mine called me late last night from saint michel. He arrived there sunday am and headed north to parent/casey/clova, chibougomou. He said all those areas were great, lots of snow and well kept. he also said that sant michel was pretty beat and actually reccomended we do not rid eout of there but rather drive further north. He didnt pass by le cabonon or to river matawin way so I cant pass on any info of this week from there.

we may reroute and head to gaspe instead as the drive time from upstate NY to Mont Joli, gaspe is about the same as driving to st michel and then 2.5 hrs more up a crap load of dirt roads to parent, so he said.

think snow, we need another storm!!

The week have been pretty warm and it melt alot from what I heard from. Saint Michel village and few miles on each side is bad and unfortunately, it have been like that a part of the winter... With the melt, this place is not ridable anymore but I think startting from cabanon or Glaciere can give still give a decent ride but propably in the last one if it's not the last for us in this area.

I will bring you back pics, I will be at ST-Zénon tomorroy morning at 8:30 in the trail....

Alain