Your Jacket input please

Greg du Vermont

Please assist in the development of next generation of Jackets being developed by site sponsor Vortex-Sport

As mentioned before I have been doing testing of the snowmobile apparel offered by Vortex Sport. While I have been very impressed with the current Vortex Voyager Plus and Survivor Series Jackets, Vortex is interested in taking their designs to the next level. We are currently working with designs and prototypes for the next generation of Premium Snowmobile Jackets.

I would like to ask for my fellow QR’s assistance in giving input. Here is a chance for real involvement in what serious snowmobilers want.

What do you love about your jacket? What do you dislike about it? How could it be better?

Here are just a few starter topics for your possible comment, but all comments are invited.

Removable liner feature

Closure systems, snaps or Velcro

Collar design

Pockets and location

Floatation assistance capabilities

Side zipper design and function

Front zipper design and function

Preference for general or extreme graphic designs

Reflective features

Thank you for your help, I look forward to sharing the input of Qubecrider.com with Vortex-sport.com

What I look for in order in a good jacket

1-collar, the way it interacts with helmet, ability to seal up neck and not interfere with movement

2-wind proof and water resistant

3-pocket locations

4-ability to add layers without restricting movement to much

5-tail length

6-how well it stay down, doesn't ride up

Thanks Bobler, A few questions on your reply.

What specific purpose pockets and in what locations are of the most function for you?

Do you (would you) wear the liner as a separate apres snowmobile item?

What are your thoughts on a non bulky floatation assistance feature?

I agree with the longer rear tail feature as it really seems to make a nice wind seal.

Please keep the comments coming.

Greg,

I wear a High end Jacket made by Spyder and would do the following to make it adapt to a perfect Sled coat.

It has the following:

Good Zip up high collar to close air and still stay clear of a Full face Helmet.

Inside zip pockets to keep cell phones and walets, outside tall chest pockets to keep flashlights or cameras.

I especially like the zip hidden pocket under the velcro-zipper flap covering the main zipper but still accessable from the outside of the coat.

Underarm Zip air vents to open to let out heat and zip shut for cold, lower right and left deep zip pockets at you hands with the inner liner set down from the zipper to keep anything in if zipper is not shut. A Suzzie chap stick zip pouch on the bottom top side of left sleeve for easy access without opening a large pocket.

A wind and waterproof jacket yet with a breathable inner fabric, Must be washable and hang dry is fine.

Under the elbow and arms should be a tougher wear fabric to protect against wear thru or material thinning from sled use.

All zippers must be tough with zipper pulls, no plastic Zippers. Mine are all silver steel with leather pulls.

All Hand cuffs are spandex type scruch closures with velcro close flaps also.

The jacket bottom inside liner and outside are scrunch type to keep from riding up and inside can be snapped closed to stop any drafts at high speed or especially cold days.

I would change the outside to a tougher yet flexable type Cordura and keep it treated for water repelancy.Add a removable thinner windbloc linner that is like a gore-tex or thinsulate that is breathable for those extra cold days.

Seems like everything I look for has been covered. I have a pouch that I keep my money envelope, passport, sled registration, phone, and wallet in. I like to have a deep inner pocket that zippers that I can

fit this into. Most jackets don't have an inner pocket deep enough. Waterproof and windproof a must. Arctic Cat used to make their inner liners to double as a lightweight jacket. I would use it in

that capacity. I like elbow reinforcements. As for graphics, if I buy an OEM jacket, I like the brand name across the back and down both sleeves with maybe a logo over the left side above the pocket. I

like colorful jackets nice contrasts and piping. I do like the "shorty" design that comes down to around the belt level. Zippers have to be strong and ice cannot build up on them. I think that a little

strap that buckles just below the neck is nice. This way if you zipper it up but don't actually zip it all the way up the collar to form a turtleneck, it will hold the jacket closed there so the zipper

can't work it's way down. ( I think I explained that right!). Other than that, it must be arctic temperature rated.

Thanks Bobler, A few questions on your reply.

What specific purpose pockets and in what locations are of the most function for you? chest pockets on both sides inside and out with big zipper grips, pockets on sleeves on forarms

Do you (would you) wear the liner as a separate apres snowmobile item? I don't personally like zip out liners, I like middle weight insulation with ability to layerWhat are your thoughts on a non bulky floatation assistance feature? flotation to me means nothing, but distinctive reflective piping does

I agree with the longer rear tail feature as it really seems to make a nice wind seal.

Please keep the comments coming.

Windproof, including the zippers and ventilation (welded seams).

Goretex

Reflective piping or logo's

Insulated in key area's such as the chest and back lighter amount in the arms

Adjustable at bottom to also keep the wind out

Lined collar for added warmth that is also adjustable to seal around helmet

Glove friendly zippers on pockets

Large rear pocket in back of coat for a spare hat / balaclava etc..

Three years ago when I got my new sled I went through this, and decided on a Mustang survival setup. I have the bibs and the parka. Plenty of pockets for stuff. It about $500 for both but I think everything mentioned is covered. The only other thing I went for was the built in floatation. It is definitely woth the money It may add protection in a fall and does add a lot of insulating properties and in the event of a water landing it will help. I'm use to riding in it although in the begining it may have seemed a little stiff from the foam but I'm used to it. They have there own website. www.Mustangsurvival.com My $.02

The jacket i have now is great. Its an older Arctic Cat leather. I like the many pockets it has and the large ones on the front where i put my maps. Has a pocket for small flash light, one i use for my leatherman and others as well. It has a zip in liner with various weights available which is great depending on the time of the year & weather. What i don't like about it anymore is the weight. They are heavy! The other item i would like changed is the collar. In the old days, or back in the 70's & 80's many of the coats had huge soft collars that could be opened up more to seal as needed for a wearer. Now there are small and frankly do little to keep the wind out & away from the neck. Good quality zippers is a must as i once had one give out and it was a brutal ride home.

I had considered talking to Angora to custom make me a suit of my dreams which might be a part leather part nylon that they do in some models.

This is my thoughts.

post-393-044351100 1296088604_thumb.jpg

Edited by doo4adoo

Excellent feedback, Thank you to those who have offered your comments and input. Please keep the comments coming.

It seems that many of us are on the same page and agree on the features that are of most interest and that we woould like to be included in our jackets. What we really needed was a company that was very interested in taking their notes directly from Snowmobilers. I think that you will find it interesting to know that most every feature and attribute mentioned are included in the Vortex line of jackets.

Our comments will be used to refine the Vortex line and their new model to be introduced next season.

When I return from this weekends riding, I will posting a report on the Vortex-Plus model Jacket that I have been testing. I think that you will find that its features really measure up to what snowmobilers are interested in.

Ride right, ride safe.

Greg; As I mentioned in a prior post, I have a Taurus Suit which I think is made by Vortex. There are some things I would like to add to your list of improvements or considerations.

1.]The bibs are great, however there are two things I would try to improve on. The first is the zipper on the side of the pants at the top. The zipper does not go far enough up the side to allow your hand to get into your inside pants pockets. Very frustrating when trying to get change or your wallet out of your pocket.The second thing would be two chest pockets on the bibs. They should be able to accommodate cell phones , cameras,passports and other items that require warmth for batteries.

2.] The jacket should have a pocket on each side at chest height,but at a different height than the bibs,so the two don't line up and cause bulging. Again these should be able to accommodate phones, cameras, flashlights etc. Warm pockets for battery items are important.

3.] Another item I think would be a good idea is to make use of the rear horizontal vent across the center of the back. It would be great if a brite orange and white reflector material could be stored here with the words HELP or SOS printed on it. It should be removeable from the jacket so it could be laid out in the snow for search planes to aid in rescue. Possibly it could be folded in such a way that the words caution could be displayed on the back of the jacket to warn approaching sleds of a problem ahead. Just an idea.

4.] I think reflective piping of some sort should be on the back of the jacket, front of the jacket, and on the sides of the arms and legs. This would make a person visable from all directions.

Everyone else has great ideas as well so I'm expecting an unsurpassed suit. Good luck with this project. It's always best to ask the customer if you want to know real world information.

Best Combat :good:

Thank you for all of your input. Your comments in many cases confirmed the current efforts and direction of Vortex-sport with other comments offering constructive ideas for future improvements.

Here is my report…………………………….

Based on my experiences with it and the feedback of QR’s on what they seek in a snowmobile jacket, the Vortex Voyager Plus jacket is really impressive. I have been very pleased with its looks, design and many premium features.

Styling and reflective features are functional and good looking. Breathable, water proof fabrics are durable yet flexible.

6oz Thermolite Micro, ultra light main shell insulation with additional removable 4oz insulated liner. This jacket has been comfortably warm in all riding environments to date. I have ridden without the liner and found the jacket alone to be just fine. It should be noted that I ride wearing a Tec Vest. Maybe you should too, but that can be a separate thread of discussion.

As indicated, the Voyager Plus Jacket includes a removable insulated liner. I have worn the liner separately as a light jacket for walking to a nearby restaurant at the end of one day. In the future the liner will be modified for more stylish use as a separately worn garment for après snowmobile.

The jackets long rear tail design comes down low while sitting or standing making an excellent lower back wind seal.

Micro-fleece collar with higher in the back neck design compresses comfortably against the base of the helmet for a very nice wind seal. I found my interior helmet noise to be lessened with this feature.

Ventilation zippers are featured under the arms and at rear of jacket and are perfect for throughout the ride adjustment for optimum rider temperature control. I’ve had jackets which were awesome warm during cold temperatures, but were uncomfortably too hot during moderate temps without any adjustment capability.

Water repellency has been super. It’s not Gortex, but it definitely works. During one warmer heavy fog and light rain ride, my riding partners were wet to the inside while I was comfortable and dry. I did note that the items in my outer pockets were damp. Good to know for my future placement of items within the many choices of interior/exterior pockets . A planned future product improvement will be to expand or reposition water repelancy layers to keep pocket contents dry. :good:

Design, location and number of interior and exterior pockets are impressive. I think that every pocket location and function mentioned in this post is successfully covered. Larger map pockets, easy access arm pockets for trail pass/registration papers, interior cell phone, GPS and Ipod pockets, interior chest pockets, exterior chest pockets, rear cargo pocket and more. This thing has pockets.

Other notable features include, inner snow skirt , Velcro adjustable cuff closures with micro-fleece wrist material, high quality YKK front zipper closure with storm flap and large zipper pulls.

Pricing is typical of premium gear at $324.95 including the liner.

I found that the sizing runs a little smaller as I required an XL versus L. Check the site for sizing recommendations, but I would order up a size.

If you order anything from Vortex-sport, write that you learned about Vortex from Greg du Vermont in your order comment section and save 10%. Stuff comes quickly by Purolator delivery.

Thanks again. :drinks:

Last week I had a very nice meeting with the Jean-Marc Laurin, President of Vortex-sport. A great guy very interested in providing the best possible snowmobile garments. Jean-Marc was very impressed by and appreciative of the comments and input that QR members took the time to offer. While much of our input verified the current direction and products of Vortex-sport, other feedback will be used in the development and refinement of future products. When your ready to consider you next snowmobile clothing purchase, give Vortex-sport.com a look.