St-Gabriel/St-Zénon/Mattawin/St-Tite/Mastigouche 19mars2011

towing

Saturday morning, clear sunny blue sky -8celcius… let’s ride !!!

We started our ride from St-Gabriel de Brandon via #345 trail to Taureau Dam and then #360 trail for the lunch at Marineau in Rivière Mattawin. We continued on the #360 up to St-Tite and took the #318 trail to cross the St-Maurice river at Grand-Mère and came back to St-Zenon via Mastigouche wild life reserve to finally come back to the starting point in St-Gabriel. Here’s the approximative track from my SPOT device

trajet.jpg

The trail was not groomed yesterday because it was too warm and the trail was too soft but all froze back during the night and give a concrete hard trail for us to start our ride. Ice scratchers were helpful in these conditions to ride without problems. Snow cover melt a bit from last weekend but not mutch

DSC09876.jpg

The 345 trail was nice, even nicer north from Pourvoirie St-Damien.

DSC09882.jpg

Here’s the junction for the shortcut to the right to bypass Réal Massé that is closed

DSC09884.jpg

After the #350 junction, there was a bit of loose snow on the trail

DSC09890.jpg

Enought to ride without problem…

DSC09898.jpg

Maybe a spring’s sign ??? a convertible car with trailer and sled on the back !!!

DSC09900.jpg

The #345 trail to the dam was nice, no ripple

DSC09901.jpg

There was some water accumulations here and there, all frozen this morning

DSC09907.jpg

There was still snow on the dam, easy crossing

DSC09911.jpg

The first part of the #360 on the other side was wavy with some ripple in the curves, also some ice spots

DSC09919.jpg

The 2e part was really nice and fast. It’s still enough cold there that the river was still all frozen

DSC09930.jpg

Except in the rapids like here, one of my favorite spots

DSC09935.jpg

And here near St-Maurice river

DSC09943.jpg

The last strech from the Zec exit was very nice, a lot of snow up to Marineau auberge

DSC09946.jpg

Our initial plan was to come back by the same trail but after talking with Marineau people we changed our mind. They confirmed us that the St-Maurice river was still ridable but not nice, but also that they had recently groomed in St-Tite direction and that we can easily go there and just cross the St-Maurice river in Grand-Mere. So we decided to try this big loop and come back by Mastigouche wild life reserve

Like they said, the #360 in St-Tite direction was perfect, very nice. Even this plowed road was ok with a narrow track for us on the side…

DSC09955.jpg

Nice trial up to St-Joseph de Mékinac

DSC09960.jpg

There was just this river north from St-Tite that didn’t inspired confidence…believe me that I didn’t stopped in the middle of the water hole to check the depth !!!

DSC09961.jpg

We then took the #318 and ride to Grand-Mere. We crossed the St-Maurice river that was still all frozen

DSC09964.jpg

Nice trail on the other side…

DSC09969.jpg

Few miles passed the Cabane a Hill, we had a little fear when we arrived there…

DSC09971.jpg

We really wondered if we were needed to turn back but fortunately, we only had to go down the hill (maybe 500 feet) in the mud and we got a snowy trail at the bottom… yessssssss!!!

The beautiful Auberge du trappeur a little farther

DSC09975.jpg

Then a nice trail, here at the Pins Rouges gate of Mastigouche wildlife reserve

DSC09981.jpg

Very nice trail in the reserve, still alot of snow there…

DSC09982.jpg

We then took #350 trail direction. The trail was a little ruff (ripple) before Koubec but very nice after

DSC09984.jpg

And we came back at our starting point by the same route as in the morning on even nice trails. Total: 262 miles

Right now, Lanaudiere south’s snowmobile clubs have closed which was obvious but also, I was surprised to read that St-Donat snowmobile club announced their closure on last friday.... I talked with people in Cabanon and they confirmed me that they will do as usual and that they will keep trails open as long as conditions will permit it… here’s the trail condition web page to check the club’s status

http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/theme/snowmobile/conditions

I did not see any dirt or snow uncovered spots of the whole ride (unless the plowed road on Mauricie side of course!!) Even there’s still a good snow cover it can be the water accumulations and in some area rivers that can give us problem but with the temp forecast : 4 inches snow for tomorroy and temperature on or below freezing point for all the next week it look very good for the next weekend...

Bye!!!

Alain

Alain,

As per usual nice report accompanied by even nicer pictures. :hi: I am not a big Yamaha connaisseur, but that does not look like a stock rear skid. :unknw: I never made it down 360 this year, I love the straw hat part of the zec. Beautiful place for pictures all along la Riviere Mattawin, Marineau's has good food to boot. La Cabane Chez Hill was a place we used to start from a lot, does the old man still own the place? I know he gave me a tour of the boiling house and told me he was looking to get out of the business the last time I was there. Without your pictures it would be amost hard to believe the amount of snow that is still around the northern Lanaudiere, did I ever mention how lucky you are to have that as your backyard? :diablo: Take care, and hope you get another two week-ends out of this season. :drinks:

post-385-015062600 1300730805_thumb.jpg

Looks like an AD Boivin? Rear skid?

That's exactly what it is. A buddy of mine had one on a RX-1. He loved it.

Great end of season report, Alain. Since most of us are done for the year, it's great to be able to still

see your reports and reminisce of this past season, and to start our dreaming of next year. Hope to see at least 2 or 3

more reports from you before it all ends.

Yes, Greasemonkey you're right and this expert-x from Boivin really rocks B) very expensive but highly efficient and give a very unique look to the Venture 8)

The #360 trail along Mattawin river is one of my favorite trail, love to ride in winter with the water flowing just aside the trail :rolleyes: your pic Je me souviens with the mirror effect in the river is a very nice shot :good: Here's a good shot I took last year...

DSC08239L.jpg

I had not stopped at cabane a Hill this time, but I think (not 100% sure) it had been sold a couple years ago. I remember the owner you talk about, most of the time it was him that was giving us gaz when we fuel up there few years ago...

Yes I know I'm lucky, first because I have 4 healthy kids, 2nd I have a beloved wife that share my snowmobile passion and third I have a snowmobile paradise in my backyard :D

It's look good to have some more report in the next days, it's snowing now !!!

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing