Trip report 3/21- 3/25

Jackstraw

Well 5 of us started out from RDL on Tues. the 21st. We left RDL towards Point-a-la-Croix, conditions where a little hardpacked but smooth with enough lube for sliders,stopped at groomers clubhouse and talked with him awhile, then off to crosspoint for the night. Wed. morning we headed to Murdochville via the TQ5 to 595 to La Cache for lunch then the local trail to Murdochville for the night, trails are all great midwinter conditions. Thur. we headed down the 597 to the local trail towards Gaspe' to the TQ5 along the North shore, lots of fresh powder in the Mts. 10+ inchs even the plowed section near Grand Valee was fine,you could also hop on top of the snow banks. Stayed at a B&B in Madeline for the night. Fri, we headed to Matane with a few side diversions to play in the powder and take some pics. At this point at about 950 miles we probably passed a dozen sleds. Sat back to RDL throgh Squatec, lots of sleds out trails still table top smooth all the way back for a total of 1180 miles in 5 days. I must say the 5 of us Me,my buddy Eric, Phil1, and our two internet buddies BobbyNJ,and Snowracer, had met for the 1st time and instantly bonded for an incredible 5 day journy around the Gaspe'. The conditions where outstanding, daylight till 7:30pm, combined with cold temps at night, and high 20's during the day led to the best conditions of my 3 trips to QC this year. If I didn't have to go to Fla. in 2 weeks I would be back. If any one has the time head up, you won't be dissapointed.

Edited by Jackstraw

Thanks for sharing. Great pics.

No issues riding out of RDL? Where did you stay there, Universal?

We stayed at The Universal. No issues, there was enough loose snow for cooling. It snowed every day...I am still in disbelieve at the conditions, mid-winter...The farther East you get and the higher in the hills you get it just kept getting better & better.. :yahoo:

hi jackstraw !!

great meeting you and the rest of the group at the clubhouse!!

great pics of mount logan (towers) and nice shot with the wave!!

can t remember them in order.from mount logan to the right.mattawee,collins and fortin

groomer !!! :drinks:

We stayed at The Universal. No issues, there was enough loose snow for cooling. It snowed every day...I am still in disbelieve at the conditions, mid-winter...The farther East you get and the higher in the hills you get it just kept getting better & better.. :yahoo:

Hope to get in on a ride or two with you & your bud`s next year.............look`s like a great trip..

Hope to get in on a ride or two with you & your bud`s next year.............look`s like a great trip..

MccDoo

You would be welcome. I have ridden with 7 different people from the web that I had never met before picking them up, we all have a common interest and everyone of them was a great person. Maybe I was lucky but I have faith... :good:

It was a great trip, Gaspe is already on the list for late March 2012... :drinks:

:drinks::yahoo:

MccDoo

You would be welcome. I have ridden with 7 different people from the web that I had never met before picking them up, we all have a common interest and everyone of them was a great person. Maybe I was lucky but I have faith... :good:

It was a great trip, Gaspe is already on the list for late March 2012... :drinks:

GOOD NEW`S PHIL

We're heading up for a few days mini Gaspe loop.

Jackstraw and/or gang: Did you run into any closed gas stops or (nearly) open water that may be a concern a week later? I know the Gaspe has a lot of suspension bridges, so water isn't usually an issue as it can be nearer QC. Anything you'd have changed on your loop, looks like we might be doing a similar but shorter mini-Gaspe tour

Was thinking RDL - Pt La Croix - Murdochville (or maybe Mt St Pierre) - Matane (or Mt Joli), then a short day back. Winging it based on time/conditions/unplanned events/etc. Doesn't appear we'll be struggling to find rooms.

Edited by NH-Moose

We're heading up for a few days mini Gaspe loop.

Jackstraw and/or gang: Did you run into any closed gas stops or (nearly) open water that may be a concern a week later? I know the Gaspe has a lot of suspension bridges, so water isn't usually an issue as it can be nearer QC. Anything you'd have changed on your loop, looks like we might be doing a similar but shorter mini-Gaspe tour

Was thinking RDL - Pt La Croix - Murdochville (or maybe Mt St Pierre) - Matane (or Mt Joli), then a short day back. Winging it based on time/conditions/unplanned events/etc. Doesn't appear we'll be struggling to find rooms.

Fuel isn't an issue cause your usually in towns, La Cache had fuel also. No issues with water either, tq5 is closed between perce and Gaspe. Due to a bridge out I beleive. Rdl to Cross Point is good, I would headup the 595 to La cache then the local to Murdochville, that was great. There is a lot more snow in the interior and North Shore. You'll be amazed how good the conditions are. It's been fairly cold up there since we got back, so you will be fine. The clubs we talked to said they would continue grooming also. Enjoy! :drinks: