FIRST TRIP TO RIDE QUEBEC-FROM ONTARIO

lindasledgirl

I look at the maps and really know very little about where is best to go. I am FAR from Quebec. I am in Sarnia. So none of it is 'closer' its all far.

1. Anyone else thinking of making the trip to Quebec?

2. If you Quebec Riders could make a few suggestions as to where to start...that would be great. I am able to head into Quebec on the very WEST side at 396, 93, 83 or 63 which is the east side of northern ontario....or I can go in from the Ottawa area/ Pembroke Quebec 43 or quebec 323 or just trailer right in to Quebec and ride from the hotel there.

I have all the stuff, just need the plan and perhaps some other riders that want to meet up. No offense to anyone, but I would be looking for fairly high mileage riders and mostly trail. Ride after early breakfast till dinner. Drink once we are parked. So fast but responsible.

I look forward to your suggestions! Oh and although born in Montreal, I do not speak French...I can nod, that's about it lol.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many miles per day and how many days , what kind of sleds and how many . do you want wilderness or close to towns , what kind of accomadations would you like..

Hi!

Twisty trails 200-250km, wide open fast trails 300-400km? Not sure how fast the trail is there. All newer models renegade and short, no mountain. Wilderness, might come into a townish area for accomodations, accomodations, clean, hot water and good food- upper end. Easy to please. Days...long way to get there so a 4-5 day or 6-7 day type of ride.

Thanks!

linda

Hi LindaHow many days would it take to ride to Quebec from Sarnia? There are lots of trails in Abitibi region. In my opinion is where you should start.396 and 83 and 93 nice area with great trails and good stops. If you trailer to Quebec then obviously you could go farther east say to Lac St Jean. Via 93 or 83. 83 being longer for sure.Get a Quebec province map and check it out. Call to some hotels like hotel Forrestal in Val Dor and ask for them to send you maps(local and provincial), they will have someone to speak englsh there. Remember french or no french "Jack Daniels is Jack Daniels and Cheeseburger is Cheeseburger." BonzaiAsk any questions you need.

Hi LindaHow many days would it take to ride to Quebec from Sarnia? There are lots of trails in Abitibi region. In my opinion is where you should start.396 and 83 and 93 nice area with great trails and good stops. If you trailer to Quebec then obviously you could go farther east say to Lac St Jean. Via 93 or 83. 83 being longer for sure.Get a Quebec province map and check it out. Call to some hotels like hotel Forrestal in Val Dor and ask for them to send you maps(local and provincial), they will have someone to speak englsh there. Remember french or no french "Jack Daniels is Jack Daniels and Cheeseburger is Cheeseburger." BonzaiAsk any questions you need.

LOL!! Great so I can get drunk and eat but I better not get lost lol. Thanks for the info...I have all the maps. Just tough to decide where to start. Like anything else, its tough to just make the leap of faith and go! But I am going to go this year. I figure I will find Groomer and follow him lol

LOL!! Great so I can get drunk and eat but I better not get lost lol. Thanks for the info...I have all the maps. Just tough to decide where to start. Like anything else, its tough to just make the leap of faith and go! But I am going to go this year. I figure I will find Groomer and follow him lol

Oh and ride from Sarnia to Quebec...on a sled, most of the winter lol

By car to Trois Rivieres is about 10 hours without a pee stop ;o)

LOOK for trails up by Chibougamo to lac st jean if you want fast trails big miles , good accomdations but far in between . leave from mt. laurier area gives you a few choices depending on weather and snow conditions

Thanks GrumpySanta!! I will look for this map. I hear that I need to be prepared that sometimes people get snowed in on their sleds!

Hi!

Twisty trails 200-250km, wide open fast trails 300-400km? Not sure how fast the trail is there. All newer models renegade and short, no mountain. Wilderness, might come into a townish area for accomodations, accomodations, clean, hot water and good food- upper end. Easy to please. Days...long way to get there so a 4-5 day or 6-7 day type of ride.

Thanks!

linda

Wow! Sarnia is quite the ways from Quebec, just Googled it. My best suggestion for you would be to drive to North Bay and drop the sleds there, less driving for you and more riding. You could ride into Quebec and explore the trails in Abitabi region, they have wide fast trails, woodsy ones, field crossings, forest roads and tour de ville trails when you come into the towns.

As well, from the Abitabi region you could make a loop up to Chibougamau, Lac St.Jean, Parent and back into Abitabi, makes for quite the variety of trails and stops. There are nice B&B's in Chibougamau, Hotel accomadations in Lac St.Jean, Indian reserves and Outfitters between Lac St.Jean and Abitabi. I have been through out the Abitabi region many times and have done the Chibougamau loop several times aswell and still keep dreaming of doing it over'n over.

By visiting the FCMQ website and looking in the Trail condition portion of it you will be shown a list of all the regions in Quebec, a quick email to any one of those tourist offices will give you a map of the region free of charge.

I have attached a couple pics from the Abitabi region to give you an idea of what you'll be in for.

Good luck and have fun

JG

It may seem obvious and you may already carry extra fuel but the railbed from Senneterre to Chibougamau is a long stretch and VERY FAST. There is fuel on the way but you must travel West to station and back track to trail. There is fuel in Chapais and we made it from Senneterre to Chapais with tour buddy fuel systems on the sleds. They were a 600 SDI and a Mach Z both pretty good on fuel. The first thing I do to a new sled is install a tour buddy.

Again leaving from Chibougamau to La Dore is a long stretch use to be able to get fuel at Relay Du Nord and / or there was a logging camp on the trail. Relay Du Nored is only maybe 25 - 30 miles South of Chibougmau but topping up insures making La Dore.

The 800E tec with tour buddy gives me well over 250 miles and that takes any fuel questions out of the equation, nice insurance.

Looking out the window here in PA today with snow covered ground, has my blood flowing, ready to RIDE... :drinks:

Maybe I am paranoid but I like to have lots of fuel with me...

Wow! Sarnia is quite the ways from Quebec, just Googled it. My best suggestion for you would be to drive to North Bay and drop the sleds there, less driving for you and more riding. You could ride into Quebec and explore the trails in Abitabi region, they have wide fast trails, woodsy ones, field crossings, forest roads and tour de ville trails when you come into the towns.

As well, from the Abitabi region you could make a loop up to Chibougamau, Lac St.Jean, Parent and back into Abitabi, makes for quite the variety of trails and stops. There are nice B&B's in Chibougamau, Hotel accomadations in Lac St.Jean, Indian reserves and Outfitters between Lac St.Jean and Abitabi. I have been through out the Abitabi region many times and have done the Chibougamau loop several times aswell and still keep dreaming of doing it over'n over.

By visiting the FCMQ website and looking in the Trail condition portion of it you will be shown a list of all the regions in Quebec, a quick email to any one of those tourist offices will give you a map of the region free of charge.

I have attached a couple pics from the Abitabi region to give you an idea of what you'll be in for.

JG

Hi TrailBlazer!

Thanks for the sharing!! I ride out of the French River and North Bay area alot...so I am really happy you are saying to leave from there. It will be good to not have to 'drive' so far. I just didn't want to miss the 'real good stuff' if the west end of Quebec isn't as good...someone would tell me to drive as its worth it maybe?

If you decide to do another run so you can update these pictures let me know!

Thanks,

Lindasledgirl

http://www.tourbuddy.com/order.shtml

There is the link,I don't have one...but will look into this.

Thanks!

Lindasledgirl

Hi TrailBlazer!

Thanks for the sharing!! I ride out of the French River and North Bay area alot...so I am really happy you are saying to leave from there. It will be good to not have to 'drive' so far. I just didn't want to miss the 'real good stuff' if the west end of Quebec isn't as good...someone would tell me to drive as its worth it maybe?

If you decide to do another run so you can update these pictures let me know!

Thanks,

Lindasledgirl

http://www.tourbuddy.com/order.shtml

There is the link,I don't have one...but will look into this.

Thanks!

Lindasledgirl

I would drop in New Liskard and either go across the lake or by land to Quebec. Motel acess to the trails are alot easier in N.L than North Bay and it will save you 1/2 day on the trail. You can do a few days in Quebec and then back to Ontario. You can go over to Val'Dorre and then up to La Sarre and then Cochrane and back to N.L.It's hard to put a long trip together from Western Quebec unless you want do do some big milage. You can go on the FCMQ site and get an idea on milage.

WNY-Dave

I still thing you should trailer a little more to give you more choices of detinations 2 hours more in car could be a day of trail riding and i think you would like eastern quebec a little more but it s all good ,we have been snowed in before ask jg. when we did gaspe tour in 2 and half days, and the snow was up to the windshields , most all sledders did not venture out that day but J.G. and i were a little crazy... but i have slowed in my old age ..

I still thing you should trailer a little more to give you more choices of detinations 2 hours more in car could be a day of trail riding and i think you would like eastern quebec a little more but it s all good ,we have been snowed in before ask jg. when we did gaspe tour in 2 and half days, and the snow was up to the windshields , most all sledders did not venture out that day but J.G. and i were a little crazy... but i have slowed in my old age ..

I know this sounds crazy...but I am thinking of how I can get someone to drop me in the East and ride back. Or...if I did a 'SNACK RAP" lol...I just made that up, but 1/2 of the RAP tour and then skipped over into Quebec say in Pembroke, did a run up through what ever the ZEK is into some of the good stuff, then back. Oh its all crazy...I just need to make sure all my work is done so that I can take off and ride this winter before it all melts again. I am afraid of going to Quebec...what if I really like it lol.

It may seem obvious and you may already carry extra fuel but the railbed from Senneterre to Chibougamau is a long stretch and VERY FAST. There is fuel on the way but you must travel West to station and back track to trail. There is fuel in Chapais and we made it from Senneterre to Chapais with tour buddy fuel systems on the sleds. They were a 600 SDI and a Mach Z both pretty good on fuel. The first thing I do to a new sled is install a tour buddy.

Again leaving from Chibougamau to La Dore is a long stretch use to be able to get fuel at Relay Du Nord and / or there was a logging camp on the trail. Relay Du Nored is only maybe 25 - 30 miles South of Chibougmau but topping up insures making La Dore.

The 800E tec with tour buddy gives me well over 250 miles and that takes any fuel questions out of the equation, nice insurance.

Looking out the window here in PA today with snow covered ground, has my blood flowing, ready to RIDE... :drinks:

Maybe I am paranoid but I like to have lots of fuel with me...

Fuel? ahh...you can just coast a bit can't ya?

You will be moving to Quebec for the Trails. You will not like it you will love it.

I was afraid you would say that lol

How many hours to like Mt. Laurier region? We drive 15+ hours to get to Riviere du Loup to begin our Gaspe adventures. I really want to start in the St Raymond area and ride all the way to Gaspe...So many trails so little time...

How many hours to like Mt. Laurier region? We drive 15+ hours to get to Riviere du Loup to begin our Gaspe adventures. I really want to start in the St Raymond area and ride all the way to Gaspe...So many trails so little time...

WOW Phil! For sure leave from the north side and cross over into the Chaudiere Appalaches, on up thru the Bas St Laurent and on into the Gaspesie. Start in Shawinigan and cross the 1st day, Then head up to Cabano 2nd day from there you are in. Best trip we ever did was to leave from St Micheal, went up the west side of Lac St Jean down to Quebec city, crossed over, then on into the Gaspesie cut across halway at the Chic Chocs and circled back in 8 days. What a ride!!

I still tell people about that trip and today i wonder how the hell we pulled it off. Biggest snow storm i ever road a sled in, jumping 6' drifts crossing the trail, only in Gaspe i tell ya.

You're not get'n old, your sled is get'n old, update yourself and you'll feel like a new man, i promise.

Ok...so who is doing up the trip plan and where do we meet?

Stay tuned plans do emerge as winter wears on. :drinks:

Snowbound that is on the list, just need a couple extra days.

I also want to take the 93 to the very end, never been up there... :good: