Planning for this season's trips

Yamaha Jim

Hello folks,

I have not been sledding in Quebec since 2004, lost my riding partner of 20 years of terrific trips and friendship in the fall of 2004. From 1984 through 2004 we would tale 3 to 4 saddlebag trips, usually 10 days long, through various destinations in Quebec. Work has been crazy also for the past few years so getting away for local trips has been tough. Anyway, I am planning on taking at least two 8 day saddlebag trips alone this year. I've done a few 1500 - 1700 mile trips alone, not nearly as much fun as riding with a good friend but certainly better than no riding at all. I plan of one trip starting in Shawinagan a looping north and west, the second trip around the Gaspe penninsula starting in Montmagny. The US to Canadian dollar exchange rate has changed significantly since my last trips and I betthe price of gas is also significantly higher.

What do you folks budget for the daily cost of a trip: hotel, meals, gas?

Is the hotel Safari in Shawinagan still open? We started from that hotel many times, Bernard was a terrific person, he will be greatly missed.

Sledding in Quebec is the absolute best, I really miss it. Lot;s of magnificent trails and scenery, great people, great food and the ability to ride thousands of miles. I really miss it!!!!

Thanks, Jim.

Hi Yamaha Jim

Twas once upon ago i could budget at trip at 150 bucks a day but today with prices of fuel and in town hotels and outfitters at 125 a night one must budget 250 a day to make for a comfortable budget on a trip.

Good luck

JG

Jim,

There are a few mutterings of people putting trips together...if you don't want to ride alone, hook up with one of the rides in here!

I had the privalege to ride with some of the guys in QR last year and I think its a great group!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Great idea. I see if I can link up with anyone on this site. Thanks!!

Jim,

The Gathering would be a great place to meet some of the Characters in QR but as well there will be lots of people wanting to do a back pack trip. I am working on one with some Ontario riders and the first order of business is the 'translator' lol.

Email me if you like, I will give you some details!

Linda

Jim I usually bring a c.c with a high limit and 1k cash. For a 8 day ride. The amt structure of the us and Canada work very well no need to bring more. With regards to the riding Like Linda stated many do rides you can jump in on.

I will be out on the peninsula late Feb just 2 of us. Myself and a French Canadian Friend that lives in Florida as well. We will be Flying into Plattsburgh . I keep a truck and trailer there so your more then welcome to finish that leg with us.

I will also be doing a loop around the lac st jean area 2 or 3 week Jan.

Welcome aboard Jim. Since you have ridden in Quebec, you know how good it is. Check out the winter gathering in January like Linda suggested. It will be a great place to meet other sledders with the same passion.

Sandi and I start ridding the week from Christmas to New Year's. We day trip out of the hotel since the trails usually aren't connected that early. It isn't a high mileage week but it gets us back in shape.

Feel free to post if you have any questions. From what I have found, the Quebec Riders are always ready to help.

Happy riding.

Jack and Sandi

Thanks for all the responses and information! This truly is a terrific site with terrific people. $250 per day is not too bad if you consider the cost daily costs of other forms of recreation. I have to get my trail maps out and start planning!!!! I'll check out the winter gathering thread.

Many Thanks!!

Jim

The rule of thumb I use for cost is: $1-$1.10/mile. With the price of gas where it is, you might have to add another $0.10/ mile Canadian. The exchange ratte is staying within a few cwnts of pare this last year.

Snowmobiling never has been a good sport for saving money LOL That said, it is always money well spent!

Welcome back to Quebec snowmobiling. :drinks: