Taking a Borrowed Sled Into Canada

SRSchang

I am planning a trip with my father and brother to Abitibi Temiscaming in February. I have two sleds, and will borrow a friend's sled for my brother to ride. Is there any problem bringing his sled across the border? I will have the NY registration, insurance card, etc.

Will I have a problem getting a 7 day Quebec sticker in Quebec without my friend (the sled owner) being there?

Thanks,

Scott

I am planning a trip with my father and brother to Abitibi Temiscaming in February. I have two sleds, and will borrow a friend's sled for my brother to ride. Is there any problem bringing his sled across the border? I will have the NY registration, insurance card, etc.

Will I have a problem getting a 7 day Quebec sticker in Quebec without my friend (the sled owner) being there?

Thanks,

Scott

I have done it no problem. Just make sure there are the same number of humans in the vehicle as there are sleds.

Here's the official rule from the Canada Border Services Agency:

An individual is permitted to borrow another person’s snowmobile and bring it across the border into Canada. To expedite the process at the border it is recommended that the owner(s) of the vehicle provides the person borrowing the vehicle a letter authorizing them to bring the snowmobile across the border.

The letter should include the name and contact phone numbers of the legal owner(s), the description of the snowmobile (year make, model, and serial number), the name of the person(s) borrowing the conveyance, and the length of time during which they are allowed to use the conveyance. It is also recommended to have the vehicle registration and insurance documents accompany this consent letter.

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.