3 on TQ3

iceman

Day 1

On the move again. Left my house this morning with Playhard and BillD, a nice surprise when we pulled out of the driveway to find Scorpionbowl and NHmoose heading to the house to say hi. We had a nice chat and shared a few laughs then we were off. They were headed back to the barn at Roquemont and we were heading east TQ3 destination St. Simeon.

Trails not bad at all pretty sweet. As expected got much busier and rougher near QC city. Big police check point near the Val Bel Air after the Airport area on TQ3 . Saw more sleds and Quads in the 270 miles run today then all of the Previous 4000 miles this Season. Crazy but what can you do it was Saturday and Quebec City Area nuff said.

After passing Relais Mt St Anne and the int for 304 the trail greatly improved. Smooth sailing to Baie St. Paul then on to gas before Clermont at the Polaris there. Then on we went real nice trail all the way thru Clermont area and up to the 83/3 split. Continued on TQ 3 and found it very very nice. Cruised into St. Simeon and are at Motel l'Horizon. 270 miles.

Baie Comeau Tomorrow.

While gliding along the white-carpet cream-cheesy 3 (after being out of range east of QC) I was playing Scorpionbowl's message in my head about sticking with riding the trails that they groom even if they don't need grooming, and around the next corner was Charlevoix's finest. The young chap had his feet up & shoes off in the groomer cabin and seemed happy as a clam at high tide, as we're we.

Day 2

Saint Simeon to Baie Comeau

260 miles.

Awesome ride saw 8 sleds all day total.

Perfect trails with a little fresh on top.

30 miles to the ferry first thing all great then up an over the escoumins bypass and on to Forestville.

Club was checking passes and sled registrations near town amd we had a nice visit with the gang and they loved the Iceman stickers.

Traded for some club stickers and we were off, cruised into Baie Comeau. First time at Le Manoir nice place very happy.

Off to Sept Isles and Beyond Tomorrow

You say you like big wide open rolling trails? OK!

You say you like small woods trails? Got 'em!

You say you like flat rippin tails? Pas du problem!

You say you like ear-poppin mountain trails? Yup!

You say you like straight/fast trails? WOW!

You say you like the technical/twisties? Definitely!

You say you like groomed trails? OH YEAH BABY!

All of that and all to yourself? Ride the 3 est of Tadusac!

You say you wanna know what it'll be like in 2 weeks? Can't help ya.

Today we ride the "roller coaster" to Sept Iles.

There've been opposite reviews of this trail from very experienced QR's: "Favorite trail ever" and "Hell trail"

Big Bill and I have never been out this way so we don't know what to expect. We will see!

WOW

Super day. The Twisty up and Down from Baie Comeau is just a fun way to warm up for the reward that follows in the form of superb trail all the way to Sept Isles. Surely some of the best trail in the Province and we had it at its best. Great run today from Baie Comeau to Sept Isles.

Just ovef 200 miles. (not sure exactly). But wicked awesome conditions and super fast trails.

Can not post pics but will when I return home.

Holy crap. The first 20mi is all "normal" Quebec riding. Then all hell breaks loose and you're at the amusement park. When I heard "roller coaster" I pictured the La Tuque pipeline. But NOOOOO. It's like the north shore of Gaspésie trail 5 where it makes your butt pucker. But it goes on for 15 miles. Then you're all good and it gets "normal" for a few miles. THEN ANOTHER 15 MILES OF HOLY CRAP! Totally fun. Totally loving the power steering. We would NOT want to push a fresh dump through there. That would be treacherous. Conditions for us were hard base mostly groomed with a few bumps here n there on the steep climbs w/plenty of crumbs, and stretches with a couple of inches of fluff. Then "normal" for another 30, gassed up @ 80mi. Then burned that tank in nothin' flat. HUGE trails to Sept Iles! Real rippers. Made to order for the 3 Apex XTX's. Blue skies and just cold enough all day. There's nuthin' like the chill that the saddle bags puts on a bottle of JD. Ahhhh...

The sign should be here at Sept Isles.

Just got Intel from a group who rode to

Havre St Pierre then it was so bad to get there they took a trailer back to Sept Isles cause they would not ride it back.

Decisions made back to the west.

Havre St. Pierre and beyond remains out of reach. Oh well a good reason to come back again.

Bummer, did they say what the issue was for them? I can assume no snow, but maybe poor signing, poor grooming or no gas too......

They report zero signs or trail markings(that does not bother me) but the condition of trail was totally rough and they said they beat themselves to get partway to Havre St. Pierre then pulled the plug not sure how far from Sept Isles but they hired a truck to take them back to Sept Isles. Poor or more like no Grooming. It shows red on trail conditions.

I want to go but not into torture just to say I was there.

Ran from Sept Isles to Forestville today. 298 miles. Sweet conditions and i do believe the Godbout to Baie Comeau is more fun headed west. Trails were super and weather just fine. Not sure exactly where to for tomorrow maybe Baie St. Paul. Sled is Dialed in nicely and life is good. Great trails with good friends.

Ran from Sept Isles to Forestville today. 298 miles. Sweet conditions and i do believe the Godbout to Baie Comeau is more fun headed west. Trails were super and weather just fine. Not sure exactly where to for tomorrow maybe Baie St. Paul. Sled is Dialed in nicely and life is good. Great trails with good friends.

The snow seemed more pillowy today, and the 30 miles of hills seemed more rollercoastery today, maybe I was just in "the zone". 500 Kilometers never felt sooooo good.

Edited by PLAYHARD

The snow seemed more pillowy today, and the 30 miles of hills seemed more rollercoastery today, maybe I was just in "the zone". 500 Kilometers never felt sooooo good.

There's just something to be said about being in "the zone" of things and listening to that Yammy singing that tune.

Back at the house.

Wed we rode from Forestville to Baie St. Paul with a bonus ride on the Isle de Courdes. Very cool. Trails were excellent the entire day the 377 up into Baie St. Paul was a bit roughed up right toward the end.

263 miles

Thurs was down 3 to trail 300 which we found un marked and ungroomed but took it anyway to Isle d'Orleans after negotiating the ice crossing following the other tracks(no sticks) some little trees in some places. We were rewarded with and awesome loop around the island groomed to perfection. Big thanks to Markusvt for the heads up. (I owe you one buddy) tgen back thru Qc city on 3 then 302 to 351 back to 3 to the house.

267 miles.

I will post some pics tmmrw. 1560 miles for the 6 day run.

Edited by iceman

Princess always tells me she prefers to go to "the islands" in the winter, so now we know what she's talking about! The Isle de Courdes was cozy with a 12 mile loop, after a 20 minute ferry ride that runs on the hour, and Isle d'Orleans was more substantial with 46 miles of perimeter trail, after the short 2 mile ice-heaves crossing. Both felt like mini "vacations", since we allotted time to just goof off, instead of the usual mission to get to a far off destination.

All in all spending 6 days on one trail was really an awesome mixed bag of everything you could want. The trails between Mauricie and Quebec center have just enough snow on the frozen base and could use a dump. But the further east we went the better it got. Charlevoix was deelish. Then up from Tadussac along Cote Nord to Sept Iles kicked major ass. Tons of snow and lots of effort to keep it nice, and a HUGE amount of well traveled local trails criss-crossing #3. One could definitely spend a bunch of time around there exploring.

I've always appreciated that a trail in the reverse direction is totally different. 'Cuz the lefts are then rights and the up hills are then down hills! But seriously, it felt even better on the return since we had familiarity AND it was all 180 degrees different. I don't know if that makes sense. I may still be in the zone.

Oh, sorry for the lack of action photos. Maybe Towing would loan us KriKri?!

Thanks for the reports guys my last time in Baie Comeau was '98 had to get trailered in from Forestville lack of snow, love to get back up tiger some day.

It was fun and educative following you guys........it kept me in the "ZONE" of things.