4 days in the Gaspesie

smclelan

Day 1: Four of us (MACDAV, Lawrence05, myself, and a non message board user {Kim})left early Thursday morning from Pointe a la Croix. We traveled east and made our first stop at the New Richmond clubhouse, unfortunately it was closed. We gassed and continued on along the TQ 5. This was the first time I can ever remember going through Pasbebaic and there being good snow cover, it always seems blown clear by the wind there. We stopped at the clubhouse in Chandler for a visit and beer with Patsy and Dale. Kim had forgot to bring oil with him, so we called Dale from New Richmond, he went to the Ski Doo dealer and had the oil waiting for us when we arrived. Great folks. We stayed the night at the Explorateur Motel right across from the gas station in Chandler. The room I stayed in the heater would not work so we had to be moved to another, the food was fair at best, and we asked for a 6am wake up call and got it at 5am. Next time I will try another place. (202 miles)

This may look like a big red barn but it is Lawrence05 as we were getting ready to leave Pointe a la Croix

Day 2: Headed out of Chandler toward Perce, landed there at the gas station and filled up. We walked next door to Rolands for breakfast only to find out he was closed till Monday, they told us at the gas station none of the resturants opened till Jan 7th. We left from the gas station and drove up to the Look Out above the town and got some nice pics. On the way to the Look Out there is a frozen waterfall that is also a must see. From there we went back toward the 597. We stopped at the Les Sentiers du Rocher Perceinc. club for breakfast was it ever tasty. We then started up the 597 which had been plowed for logging the first 20km, not a big deal there was lots of loose snow along the sides of the road for lubrication and there was no explosed gravel (I don't think it would be as good after the thaw). We landed in Murdochville around 2:30 and decided to stay there the night and hit the North shore early in the morning. We stayed at the Hotel Copper. They are doing some renovations but will be ready for business this week. (140 miles)

The Rock from the Look Out

MACDAV at Perce

The Waterfalls behind the Look Out

Kim behind the Waterfalls

Day 3: Pulled out of Murdochville around 7am and headed up the 597. There is a little bit of logging toward the top but nothing serious. From ther we traveled east on the TQ5 to Riviere Madelelne for breakfast at Chez Mamie great meal and hospitality. We contiued on the 5 till we got to the turn off for Grand Sault, if you are an inexperience driver do not go in here if there is no tracks! We went in and got some pictures of the water falls. This is a very pretty spot. We then headed west to Mont Saint Pierre took the tourist type pics and continued along the North Shore and stayed the night in St Anne Des Monts at the Motel Brunate. (208 miles)

Main Street Murdochville at 7am

The bridge at Rivere Madelelne

Grand Sault

Stuck at Grand Sault

Me on the TQ 5

Kim at Site De L'ours

Day 4: Pulled out of the Brunate early and headed to the St Paulin clubhouse for breakfast, it was delicious. From there is was down the 595 to New Richmond and back to the trucks. This was a fairly unaventful day except for the moose and deer we saw along the way. The New Richmond Clubhouse was closed again when we went through, this time however there were a couple of club members in the yard. They told us the lady that has run the club the last several years is sick and they have not found anyone to take the kitchen over. She was a very nice lady, we hope her the best and wish the club luck in finding someone to replace her this season. (250 miles)

Lawrence05 at Cap Chat cable bridge

Trip Summary: The trails on average were 8 out of 10 or better the whole way. The bottom of the 597 was the only exception we hit in 800 miles. There was virtually no traffic, but this is typical the first weekend in January. Signage was good and they were still putting some up. Everyone was very friendly as usual and asked us to come back soon.

awesome pics smclelan !!!

the first one with the percé rock ,like the angle you took your pic . :good:

the one in murdoch ,like the ''light ''

nice water falls too !!!

macdav looks happy with his new sled !!!

groomer !!!

Day 1: Four of us (MACDAV, Lawrence05, myself, and a non message board user {Kim})left early Thursday morning from Pointe a la Croix. We traveled east and made our first stop at the New Richmond clubhouse, unfortunately it was closed. We gassed and continued on along the TQ 5. This was the first time I can ever remember going through Pasbebaic and there being good snow cover, it always seems blown clear by the wind there. We stopped at the clubhouse in Chandler for a visit and beer with Patsy and Dale. Kim had forgot to bring oil with him, so we called Dale from New Richmond, he went to the Ski Doo dealer and had the oil waiting for us when we arrived. Great folks. We stayed the night at the Explorateur Motel right across from the gas station in Chandler. The room I stayed in the heater would not work so we had to be moved to another, the food was fair at best, and we asked for a 6am wake up call and got it at 5am. Next time I will try another place.

This may look like a big red truck but it is Lawrence05 as we were getting ready to leave Pointe a la Croix

Day 2: Headed out of Chandler toward Perce, landed there at the gas station and filled up. We walked next door to Rolands for breakfast only to find out he was closed till Monday, they told us at the gas station none of the resturants opened till Jan 7th. We left from the gas station and drove up to the Look Out above the town and got some nice pics. On the way to the Look Out there is a frozen waterfall that is also a must see. From there we went back toward the 597. We stopped at the Les Sentiers du Rocher Perceinc. club for breakfast was it ever tasty. We then started up the 597 which had been plowed for logging the first 20km, not a big deal there was lots of loose snow along the sides of the road for lubrication and there was no explosed gravel (I don't think it would be as good after the thaw). We landed in Murdochville around 2:30 and decided to stay there the night and hit the North shore early in the morning. We stayed at the Hotel Copper. They are doing some renovations but will be ready for business this week.

The Rock from the Look Out

MACDAV at Perce

The Waterfalls behind the Look Out

Kim behind the Waterfalls

Day 3: Pulled out of Murdochville around 7am and headed up the 597. There is a little bit of logging toward the top but nothing serious. From ther we traveled east on the TQ5 to Riviere Madelelne for breakfast at Chez Mamie great meal and hospitality. We contiued on the 5 till we got to the turn off for Grand Sault, if you are an inexperience driver do not go in here if there is no tracks! We went in and got some pictures of the water falls. This is a very pretty spot. We then headed west to Mont Saint Pierre took the tourist type pics and continued along the North Shore and stayed the night in St Anne Des Monts at the Motel Brunate.

Main Street Murdochville at 7am

The bridge at Rivere Madelelne

Grand Sault

Stuck at Grand Sault

Me on the TQ 5

Kim at Site De L'ours

Day 4: Pulled out of the Brunate early and headed to the St Paulin clubhouse for breakfast, it was delicious. From there is was down the 595 to New Richmond and back to the trucks. This was a fairly unaventful day except for the moose and deer we saw along the way. The New Richmond Clubhouse was closed again when we went through, this time however there were a couple of club members in the yard. They told us the lady that has run the club the last several years is sick and they have not found anyone to take the kitchen over. She was a very nice lady, we hope her the best and wish the club luck in finding someone to replace her this season.

Lawrence05 at Cap Chat cable bridge

Trip Summary: The trails on average were 8 out of 10 or better the whole way. The bottom of the 597 was the only exception we hit in 800 miles. There was virtually no traffic, but this is typical the first weekend in January. Signage was good and they were still putting some up. Everyone was very friendly as usual and asked us to come back soon.

Excellent report Steven wish I was there.

Andy

Excellent report, excellent pictures, and nice to put in where you stayed and ate. Reports like this make it real easy for people to plan trips like you just did. Just one thing that would heve been nice to add in is the mileage you did each day. For people that do not have a map in front of them they wouldn't have a clue. Looks like the weather was real nice as well.

Excellent report, excellent pictures, and nice to put in where you stayed and ate. Reports like this make it real easy for people to plan trips like you just did. Just one thing that would heve been nice to add in is the mileage you did each day. For people that do not have a map in front of them they wouldn't have a clue. Looks like the weather was real nice as well.

I edited my post to give daily mileage traveled. I hope this helps. We leave early in the morning and try to travel steady, that leaves time for pics and a break at lunchtime.

• 2 weeks later...