Trail signs

Shore1066

I know this happens and really don't understand why people steal or acquire trail signs. It just seem that every year there is less signage and the posts are still there.

Anyway an idea that might work is if the clubs were to have some plastic inexpensive signs made up that look the same and size made and sell them in there club houses at a much larger price. I'm thinking  something that cost 2 dollar and sell for 10. The profit could then be used to buy the regular signs that are put out on the trails. They could also offer them when the trail passes are purchased. Personally I like signs. Just a thought.

What a brilliant idea , love it.

10 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

I know this happens and really don't understand why people steal or acquire trail signs. It just seem that every year there is less signage and the posts are still there.

Anyway an idea that might work is if the clubs were to have some plastic inexpensive signs made up that look the same and size made and sell them in there club houses at a much larger price. I'm thinking  something that cost 2 dollar and sell for 10. The profit could then be used to buy the regular signs that are put out on the trails. They could also offer them when the trail passes are purchased. Personally I like signs. Just a thought.

I heard years ago that the signs were stolen and sold for scrap aluminum.  I've noticed on the back of some of the signs that they are stamped with the letters FCMQ now.  They could even make the signs out of a thinner gauge aluminum to sell and stamp the back "resale" or something to the like.  You may be onto something Shore 1066.

Jack & Sandi

I think the sign issue is less about theft and more about volunteers. In recent years the ATV clubs have gotten stronger and get more riders in the winter. Maybe it makes more sense economically for the local riders to own an ATV they can use all year than to own a snowmobile they can only ride 4 months. All of that coupled with the fact that more people are using a GPS seems to be making the signs disappear.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Shore1066 said:

For whatever reason, people like to have "souvenirs" to put on their walls. This is an illegal act and there is a fine for taking them. I am not sure if the plastic replicas would satisfy the demand but it might be worth trying.

8 hours ago, viper2 said:

I think the sign issue is less about theft and more about volunteers. In recent years the ATV clubs have gotten stronger and get more riders in the winter. Maybe it makes more sense economically for the local riders to own an ATV they can use all year than to own a snowmobile they can only ride 4 months. All of that coupled with the fact that more people are using a GPS seems to be making the signs disappear.

I DO think it is about theft when you see the post/stake still there but a sign is missing. Groomer operators usually get tasked with putting signage out and taking it in but signs in some areas remain out all year - either for shared use trails (ATV) or because the local club and/or landowner decides its OK. Obviously, open fields are always picked up but woods trails may be left depending on the local decision. Left out, signs become targets for bored hunters and anyone else who doesn't understand that the sign they deface or steal may mean the difference between someone spending a night in the woods and getting to their destination.

I for one, would hate to see a decision to have less signage because someone believed it wasn't necessary due to "everyone using GPS". Things happen and sometimes having a sign with a town's name is a great navigation aid in an unfamiliar area.

Also, directional signage is decided by the local  association but safety/caution signage (and its placement) is dictated by the International Association of Snowmobile Administrators.

I don't want anyone to think I started this conversation to call anyone a thief.  If you think of the numbers of signs compared to snowmobiles the snowmobiles out weight the signs. The veterans of quebec snowmobiling know the trails and really don't depend on the signs in my opinion.  I think it's the new riders that come to quebec that have the problems.  At least I do on new trails.  Everything I said is just ideas and I'm sure there are better one out there. Be safe everyone.  Got to go. On my way to quebec. 

Could very well be people stealing signs IDK but I rode 1400 miles last week and can count on one hand the posts I saw with no sign on. I have been riding Quebec every year since 1989 and can say without a doubt there are not signs for whatever reason like there used to be