iceman

Commencing Countdown....we ride. Trip 1

Recommended Posts

Well the time has arrived. We got the band back together and tomorrow we hit the trails. Myself along with Snohorse, kwiknick and NHmoose are northbound. Sleds are all tucked away in the garage at Chez Ice. Gear is sorted and now we are just enjoying the evening catching up. We have a general direction and no set plan after monday. Tomorrow to Windigo and then Lac Faillon after that we shall see. Feels good to be switched off and getting ready to put on my snowmobile with the Team. 

Cannot wait to get going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senneterre, Val d’Or and Amos have the most snow I have seen in years! Head west from Faillon, we were there last Friday and groomer was on route from Clova; 83 is in great shape! Looking forward to seeing pictures and trail reports we will be back up there Feb. 20th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 1 

 

Sunday Feb 3

 

Up and at it this am at chez Ice. Sleds loaded and off we go albeit not super early, 8:25 we left the driveway. Nice conditions on the TQ3 to Shawinigan not the best I have seen it but very good. M-3? To TQ23 good stuff then up to the 360. Saw yesterday people saying 360 was worse than a rodeo but grooming map showed groomed and it did not disappoint. Beautiful up into St Joseph de Mekinac. Kwiknick having some helmet issues. Freezing up. We get him straightened out and press on. The 355 is fresh groomed too first tracks headed north. What’s with the go arounds on the big hills, on whats left of the pipeline? Taking away all the fun, Tabernac. Tons of sleds southbound but no one headed north but us. It’s good to be us. Nick still having problems so we stop again to de ice his shield. No heated shield and a non existent windshield equal he can’t see sh**.  He cleans it off again and we send the young lad ahead out of our snow dust to see if that helps. Up to jct with LT1 and shield is better but not great. 355 to 73 into La Tuque, gas and a candy bar, small break. Trail has been spectacular. Stll no one going north, few more headed southad. 73 to Relais 22 The best I have seen in a long time, never seen it so wide in so many places really an awesome run. Blessed we are today. Into Relais 22 way to early only 2:40, time for a late lunch, don’t want to arrive at Windigo on an empty stomach to take the Jack. Nice break and conversation at Relais 22. Rolled out of 22 at 4pm blasted out 83 to Windigo and in the door at 4:35. Nick headed out to wheelie it out on the river and play in the deep stuff. We are happy as hell great first day and glad to be with Martine here at Windigo..

 

220 miles today. 

 

Big day tomorrow to Lac Faillon. 

 

Until next time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Carman said:

Any pics from today’s ride?

Nhmoose got a few but flat light today nothing special. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been told that their new dozer with rubber track are not even able to climb those big hills and they want to keep it easier on their dozers by grooming only the bypass... yes the roller coaster ride from one end to the other miss me too!

Ride safe my friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, towing said:

I been told that their new dozer with rubber track are not even able to climb those big hills and they want to keep it easier on their dozers by grooming only the bypass... yes the roller coaster ride from one end to the other miss me too!

Ride safe my friend!

Thanks for the Info on that! Yes it’s not the same with the bypass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carman said:

Senneterre, Val d’Or and Amos have the most snow I have seen in years!

Interesting, according to the forecast they are gonna get quite a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iceman said:

Interesting, according to the forecast they are gonna get quite a bit more.

Echo that-most neige I've seen in over 20 years of riding Val D'Or/Amos/La Sarre/R.-N.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 

 

February 4

 

Great stay as usual ot Windigo, better hosts than Martine and Dan you will not find.

Full house as a gang of 14 arrived albeit around 8pm but they made it. Not sure what was up but was a group of tourists from France and 2 guides. One guide they said was the boss had his arm in a sling. Surely he didn’t ride one handed all day? I didn’t ask. Superbowl was anything but super, who cares. Sleepy gang woke up at 7am, had breakfast and checked out the fox having the chicken bones, very cool. Locked and loaded and off at 8:30am. The driveway to Windigo is way to much fun. Backtracked the necessary trail to hit the 83 west. Beautiful is an understatement to Wemotachi. Caught up to another group who left Windigo 30 minutes before us halfway to Wemo. Gas at Wemo and off to the next run on 83 west. Wow! is all I can say. Ripped it to Parent at the Gas Bar in Parent at 11:15. Good time ... this was about to change. This trip starting yesterday I have been giving Kwiknick a chance to lead. All of yesterday afternoon and all morning to date no problems. He rides like the wind but is all the way right like his old man trimming the bush on the right. Every intersection and stop he has been looking for me to give him a head nod or point the next direction. Well up until we arrived at Jct TQ13 and TQ83. I pull up after leaving Parent and he is not there. I am disappointed, he just failed his training. Inspection of ski prints yields not much to go on, my gut tells me he went down TQ 13. We stop and  wait 15 minutes then 20. Oh boy. We decide he went on 83 we go 20km and another sled headed east stops us to ask if we have seen 2 of his group 6 left Parent now they are 4. We have seen no one. We ask if he has seen the blue Freeride, NHmoose even provides a photo of the wanted subject. Big No. Obviously he went down 13 with the other 2 missing. Well we spin around. Now I am fuming mad, this kid knows better. Back to Jct 13 on the way we find the other 2 missing from the other group. I tell them their buddy is 12 km that way waiting. We ask did you see this blue Freeride? Yes headed down 13. Just great. Arrive at Jct 13-83. Now question is did he come back and go back to Parent? Or is he still headed south on the 13. Like i said before this kid knows better but obviously that is out the window. Funtime is over, this is not how we roll...spending time looking for runaways. Team got no time for nonsense. We decide he is still headed south and hopefully will be at Fer a Cheval. Off we go on a beautiful TQ13 no wonder he kept going and going. Well we get as far as the bridge there not far from 83 and here he comes back across. I let his old man lay into him as it’s not my place and I really think he now understands what he did wrong. One... did not stop at intersection (he claimed was notan intersection but he don’t know) Two....he continues over 50km before thinking about us behind him. (He was sure was only one trail and claims did not want to waste gas coming back) this youngster got plenty to learn. All back together and now it’s 1:30pm. Well lets get to Clova. We burn it to Clova, Kwiknick has had his wings clipped, I am back in front and he is in the rocking chair with Snohorse behind followed by NHmoose he won’t get away Again. Into Clova at 3:05pm gas and a soda small break. Trail has been awesome. All good. 3:30 departure for Lac Faillon,

Hammer Down now this section is good but with just recently being opened has not been groomed as much and you can tell. Right side is soft wants to suck you right over into the bush. Some big ruts and just not as fine tuned but like I said has not been groomed that many times like the rest of 83 has been. Just before Balbazard is a open water hole. Across the whole trail.  Very dangerous not marked at all. More dangerous headed west as you arrive at speed. Headed east its just after a turn so you would see it better before. Trust me...bad spot. Just after Balbazard it starts freezing rain heavy. Instant frozen shields we are stopped cold. Never seen it that bad...go a bit then need a bare hand (glove from handwarmer on bar won’t do it.) remove ice go a bit and repeat 30 minutes like that. It was shaping up to bea long ride to Faillon. After 30 minutes then it changed to ice pellets. All good. Hammered it out and arrived at Lac Faillon at 5:50pm. Good time. Full house. Bunch of off trail guys staying doing day trips, and one gang from Ontario with yet another group of Quebeckers from Royaun Noranda we met earlier were missing their 2 riders. Happy to get inside. Had a great chat with Patrick the new owner here since November. Super nice guy. Good dinner and happy to be here finally. 

 

Snowing like crazy now. 

 

525km

326miles with the bonus miles searching for Kwiknick.

 

Until next time. 

 

No plan for tomorrow as to where. West yes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakfast wings for the fox. I’m jealous we were not here for wing night.

Kwik Nick free Freeriding in the fluff

Iceman tagging a sign at the spot Kwik Nick tool the wrong trail, we had plenty of time there.

Cool antique military truck rolled in and out of the gas station while we were there

7EF824AF-88C4-45F0-8BF7-6EEED5D421E4.jpeg

51605221-057A-4937-A79F-D2C4BED25185.jpeg

57252384-E490-421E-A87B-69C616EB77BF.jpeg

5832964D-63B2-47FB-98BA-FA291E33E86E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report and pics guys! No more freezing rain and ice pellets in the forecast, a little snow and then blue skies, enjoy the ride to Senneterre. Trail 83 Senneterre-Louvicourt-Val d’Or was just groomer last night.

Did you guys notice if 2-stroke oil was available at any of your stops?

Edited by Carman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Carman said:

Great report and pics guys! No more freezing rain and ice pellets in the forecast, a little snow and then blue skies, enjoy the ride to Senneterre. Trail 83 Senneterre-Louvicourt-Val d’Or was just groomer last night.

Did you guys notice if 2-stroke oil was available at any of your stops?

A.B. Sports is 'doo dealer in Senneterre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Muskoka2 said:

A.B. Sports is 'doo dealer in Senneterre

I know Senneterre is good for oil. I want to know if anywhere along 83 from Lac Faillon to Roberval has bombo 2-stroke oil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Carman said:

I know Senneterre is good for oil. I want to know if anywhere along 83 from Lac Faillon to Roberval has bombo 2-stroke oil. 

Clova and Parent have it and I believe Relay 22

Edited by doonali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iceman said:

Day 2 

 

February 4

 

Great stay as usual ot Windigo, better hosts than Martine and Dan you will not find.

Full house as a gang of 14 arrived albeit around 8pm but they made it. Not sure what was up but was a group of tourists from France and 2 guides. One guide they said was the boss had his arm in a sling. Surely he didn’t ride one handed all day? I didn’t ask. Superbowl was anything but super, who cares. Sleepy gang woke up at 7am, had breakfast and checked out the fox having the chicken bones, very cool. Locked and loaded and off at 8:30am. The driveway to Windigo is way to much fun. Backtracked the necessary trail to hit the 83 west. Beautiful is an understatement to Wemotachi. Caught up to another group who left Windigo 30 minutes before us halfway to Wemo. Gas at Wemo and off to the next run on 83 west. Wow! is all I can say. Ripped it to Parent at the Gas Bar in Parent at 11:15. Good time ... this was about to change. This trip starting yesterday I have been giving Kwiknick a chance to lead. All of yesterday afternoon and all morning to date no problems. He rides like the wind but is all the way right like his old man trimming the bush on the right. Every intersection and stop he has been looking for me to give him a head nod or point the next direction. Well up until we arrived at Jct TQ13 and TQ83. I pull up after leaving Parent and he is not there. I am disappointed, he just failed his training. Inspection of ski prints yields not much to go on, my gut tells me he went down TQ 13. We stop and  wait 15 minutes then 20. Oh boy. We decide he went on 83 we go 20km and another sled headed east stops us to ask if we have seen 2 of his group 6 left Parent now they are 4. We have seen no one. We ask if he has seen the blue Freeride, NHmoose even provides a photo of the wanted subject. Big No. Obviously he went down 13 with the other 2 missing. Well we spin around. Now I am fuming mad, this kid knows better. Back to Jct 13 on the way we find the other 2 missing from the other group. I tell them their buddy is 12 km that way waiting. We ask did you see this blue Freeride? Yes headed down 13. Just great. Arrive at Jct 13-83. Now question is did he come back and go back to Parent? Or is he still headed south on the 13. Like i said before this kid knows better but obviously that is out the window. Funtime is over, this is not how we roll...spending time looking for runaways. Team got no time for nonsense. We decide he is still headed south and hopefully will be at Fer a Cheval. Off we go on a beautiful TQ13 no wonder he kept going and going. Well we get as far as the bridge there not far from 83 and here he comes back across. I let his old man lay into him as it’s not my place and I really think he now understands what he did wrong. One... did not stop at intersection (he claimed was notan intersection but he don’t know) Two....he continues over 50km before thinking about us behind him. (He was sure was only one trail and claims did not want to waste gas coming back) this youngster got plenty to learn. All back together and now it’s 1:30pm. Well lets get to Clova. We burn it to Clova, Kwiknick has had his wings clipped, I am back in front and he is in the rocking chair with Snohorse behind followed by NHmoose he won’t get away Again. Into Clova at 3:05pm gas and a soda small break. Trail has been awesome. All good. 3:30 departure for Lac Faillon,

Hammer Down now this section is good but with just recently being opened has not been groomed as much and you can tell. Right side is soft wants to suck you right over into the bush. Some big ruts and just not as fine tuned but like I said has not been groomed that many times like the rest of 83 has been. Just before Balbazard is a open water hole. Across the whole trail.  Very dangerous not marked at all. More dangerous headed west as you arrive at speed. Headed east its just after a turn so you would see it better before. Trust me...bad spot. Just after Balbazard it starts freezing rain heavy. Instant frozen shields we are stopped cold. Never seen it that bad...go a bit then need a bare hand (glove from handwarmer on bar won’t do it.) remove ice go a bit and repeat 30 minutes like that. It was shaping up to bea long ride to Faillon. After 30 minutes then it changed to ice pellets. All good. Hammered it out and arrived at Lac Faillon at 5:50pm. Good time. Full house. Bunch of off trail guys staying doing day trips, and one gang from Ontario with yet another group of Quebeckers from Royaun Noranda we met earlier were missing their 2 riders. Happy to get inside. Had a great chat with Patrick the new owner here since November. Super nice guy. Good dinner and happy to be here finally. 

 

Snowing like crazy now. 

 

525km

326miles with the bonus miles searching for Kwiknick.

 

Until next time. 

 

No plan for tomorrow as to where. West yes. 

 

ice does suck

No photo description available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 3

February 5

 

After a great night at Lac Faillon, not in a super hurry this AM. We leave when we feel like it, no issues pounding out the miles and no reason to leave early. Had no real plan today other than get Kwiknick a new shield for his helmet. 3-4” new snow not the 15-20cm predicted, that’s ok. 83 west has tracks from the group from Royaun Noranda headed out ahead of us. Glad I am behind these guys and not headed east. They are using all the trail, well middle and left. Right side clean no tracks. Scary. Trail is great from Lac Faillon. Just before warming hut on 83 we see the groomer headed west. Too bad all his work was torn to hell by the gang ahead of us. Stop at warming hut and we will probably arrive in Seneterre around noon. Decide that it’s gas and go at Seneterre on to Val d’or. 83 leaving Seneterre is dreamy. We see another groomer headed east but all 83 here is Freshly groomed and fast. Wow. This is what I think of when I think Abitibi. Nice ride to Louvincourt and again not far from Louvincourt another groomer headed east. Down to Val d’or. I stop at Forestel while the team heads for ski doo dealer. I get 2 rooms and all the keys and stuff, then go to Beric Sport. I find NHmoose waiting there. Turns out the Arctic Cat dealer has the shield for Kwiknick as they sell that brand helmet. Snohorse and Kwiknick have gone to gather it up. All back together now as he has his new shield. We head out and take the tour de ville. Then it’s time to bonus ride to rack up the miles. 83 west to Malarctic, junk junk junk all the way from Val d’or, not happy. Gas in Malarctic. 83 west better here but not great. Up to Rivere Heva and then Local orange to Lamotte. No tracks on this we ride on. Nice run across to the 309. This trail has been groomed and is beautiful really fast. We are putting first tracks on this groomed trail. 20km from Val d’or I notice the trail is roughed up, very strange, I back it down a bit. Good choice. 2 very large moose together on trail just ahead. I scared them as much as they did me.. one jumps right off into the deep snow on left and gone. The other goes  about 40 yards then does the same move. Perfect as, i got to be moving on. Dark now and ice need jack. Did I mention it’s pretty cold out here? more so now that it’s dark. 309 down and in front of me now a fox running up middle of trail. This guy i slow to a crawl he is just running on ahead. We move ahead and he finds a place to bail off trail. Skinny fox here, no chicken wing diet for this one. 309 to 83 back to local orange to gas and then back to Forestel. Good day, hoping to see more grooming activity on I Motoneige tomorrow morning or we are out of here. Probably Matagami tomorrow night but no set route yet. 

 

240 miles. 

 

Until next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carman, i’ll keep an eye out, but for me I have not burned 2-stroke oil since buying the Ace in 2015. Snohorse and Kwik Nick carry their trips worth in a stacked jerry cans, 1 for gas, 1 for Amsoil for the 850’s.

No doubt you can find it, but prepare to pay through the nose for trail oil, the one time i had to buy some Doo oil or a belt up here years ago, i had sticker shock and carried my own spares. Not to mention the taxes.

My 600 SDI’s always had a rack i could carry 3 jugs if necessary, usually 2 gallons, plus a coiple quarts got me through a weeks riding. I dont miss those days a bit, but i can see the allure of the power/weight ratio for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now