Bad news..

rob

I just received a short email from Bernard's wife Jocelyne only saying that Bernard passed away, July 02. 2008

I don't know more than that.

Terrible news, this is a loss to our sport.. He will be missed.

What a huge loss to snowmobiling in that area and even for Quebec as a whole. A great and colorful embassador to say the least. He always went the extra mile to make sure his customer had a great experience.

My condolences to his wife and family.

Bad news indeed. I don't know of anyone who has done so much for his customers and colleagues, in an effort to promote and maintain the snowmobiling industry in Quebec.

The first time I met Bernard was on my first snowmobiling trip [ever] to Canada, on December 18, 2004. I was amazed at the trails, the snow, and hospitality. Over the years since, I've looked forward to his contributions online and talking to him over the phone. Knowing his knowledge and influence in the snowmobiling industry, I started buying my trail pass from him, knowing that if something came up on the trail, he would only be a satellite phone call away. It's almost ironic, that I haven't stayed at Bernard's since my first trip, until my last trip of this year, on March 29. On that day, Bernard, Motel Safari, and Jocelyne, were just as I had remembered them, almost four years earlier, and I swore that I needed to return more often...

My condolences to Jocelyne and their family.

Unfortunately I never met him- I was planning on stopping by the Hotel last season, but we never got around to it. Very sad- He was a real promoter to our sport and wasn't shy to speak his mind. Very sad.

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Bernard several years ago. A fellow staying at his Motel had broken down and was at the Holiday Inn Saguenay. He called Bernard to comeand get him. Bernard arrived around 8PM that night and drove him back to his place. Bernard came into the HI and that is when we met. How many motel owners would do that, not many that's for sure. Class guy. He's surely be missed. RIP Bernard.

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Bernard several years ago. A fellow staying at his Motel had broken down and was at the Holiday Inn Saguenay. He called Bernard to comeand get him. Bernard arrived around 8PM that night and drove him back to his place. Bernard came into the HI and that is when we met. How many motel owners would do that, not many that's for sure. Class guy. He's surely be missed. RIP Bernard.

Bernard we had a couple of business dealings and you delivered just like you promised. I was not your biggest fan but I did respect you and no one can take away your passion for our sport and or your love of your wife and your family.

Andyman

Very sad news,just heard. I loved Bernard, known him 15 years. My first trip to Quebec I stayed at his motel.We talked on the phone every few weeks, I just spoke with him last week and he was telling me about an electric car he was going to buy. He came down to CT about seven years ago and stayed at my house and I took him and Jocelyn into NYC and went sightseeing. I will truly miss him. As Rob said, He really was an ambassador to the sport.

Rest in peace Bernard!!! I love Ya Man!!!!!!!!

Your friend Stan

I turned to Bernard 6 years ago after a bad experiance (theft). I needed security to enable myself to continue with the sport. He gave that to me and some good advise to boot. He got me a bigass chain that does wonders for my nerves. I will think of him everytime I use that chain in the future. What a character we knew EH!

Bernard, this ones for you! :drinks::drinks::drinks:

I just received a short email from Bernard's wife Jocelyne only saying that Bernard passed away, July 02. 2008

Bernard was passionate! About his business. About snowmobiling. About his involvement with his local club. Constantly promoting security and common sense practices to avoid.theft of sled or truck.

His joie-de-vie was infectious and many is the american rider who enjoyed his unusual sense of humor, his ability to call it the way he saw it, and his willingness to go out of his way to aid a customer or friend.

Though at times it appeared a little self serving, he was alway there for trail or conditions info and was one of the few hospitality proprietors who was not afraid to tell you to "stay home" if he thought the riding experience was really horrible.

I'll miss my "free beers", Bernard. They broke the mold the day that you were born. RIP, amigo.

Oh Man, what a loss. This man bent over backward to lend a hand. He represented what we all know Quebec riding is all about. His contributions to the sport, and to this forum will surely be missed. I just hope his memory lives on in whoever takes over overseeing the sport in that area. I stayed there once years ago, and try to stop in once in a while for a pitstop, if you know what I mean :drinks: and always had a good time. RIP Bernard and keep the snow gods working hard every winter for us.

Very sad news for sure. :sad:

I never met Bernard, but did talk to him on the phone a couple of different times.

Once, me and my wife was headed to PQ for a few days, I called him on the way there to book a room, and he told me there was very limited riding in his area and suggested to go to Valins. He was looking out for the best interest for us, (Sledders) not his business.

"Bernard is his name and sledding will allways be his game" :drinks:

Our condolences to his family and freinds.

with the magic of internet and for those who might be interested here's the death notice of our friend Bernard.Obviously it's in french

COURNOYER BERNARD

COURNOYER, M. BERNARD 1939-2008 Au CSSS de l'Énergie de Shawinigan-Sud, le 2 juillet 2008, est décédé à l'âge de 69 ans, M. Bernard Cournoyer, époux de Jocelyne Paquin, demeurant à Shawinigan-Sud. La famille accueillera parents et ami(e)s à la : Coopérative funéraire de la Mauricie 2280, 5e Avenue Shawinigan-Sud Heures d'accueil : lundi de 14 h à 17 h et de 19 h à 22 h, mardi, jour des funérailles, à partir de 11 h Les funérailles auront lieu le mardi 8 juillet 2008 à 14 h en l'église Saint-Sauveur L'inhumation aura lieu au cimetière Saint-Paul (Grand-Mère) Le défunt laisse dans le deuil son épouse Jocelyne Paquin; ses enfants : Eric et Pascal; son beau-frère Decky Paquin (Irène Duval); sa belle-soeur Marlène Paquin (Maurice Dargy); son oncle Albert Bernard (Thérèse Bédard); ainsi que plusieurs neveux, nièces, cousins, cousines et ami(e)s. Renseignements: (819) 537-8828. Télécopieur: (819) 537-8829. Courriel: funjcarbo@qc.aira.com Membre de la Fédération des coopératives funéraires du Québec.

internet magic again:

COURNOYER, Mr. BERNARD 1939-2008 With the CSSS of l' Energy of Shawinigan-South, on July 2, 2008, is deceased with l' 69 years age, Mr. Bernard Cournoyer, husband of Jocelyne Paquin, resident in Shawinigan-South. The family will accomodate parents and friend (E) S with: Funerary co-operative of Mauricie 2280, 5th Avenue Shawinigan-South Hours d' reception: Monday of 14:00 to 17:00 and 19:00 at 22:00, Tuesday, day of the funeral, starting from 11:00 the funeral will take place on Tuesday July 8, 2008 with 14:00 in l' church L' Saint-Saver; burial will take place with the cemetery Saint-Paul (Grandmother) the late one leaves in mourning his wife Jocelyne Paquin; his/her children: Eric and Pascal; his/her brother-in-law Decky Paquin (Irene Duval); his/her sister-in-law Marlène Paquin (Maurice Dargy); his/her uncle Albert Bernard (Therese Bédard); like several nephews, nieces, cousins, cousins and friend (E) S. Renseignements: (819) 537-8828. Telecopier: (819) 537-8829. Email: funjcarbo@qc.aira.com Member of the Federation of the funerary co-operatives of Quebec

I just found out today about Bernard and I am very sad. I met Bernard three years ago and I made sure I stopped by his place once or twice a year. As all of you said, he was a great ambassador to snowmobiling when it has been getting tougher on us on trail closings, theft and other factors. I hope Motel Safari will live on and he will be missed. Keep the hecks cold up there, cheers to you!

I met Bernard for the first time in early 2004. It was my first trip snowmobiling in Quebec ever, and we started at his place.

Since that time, I'd stayed at his place, or at least passed through, perhaps 15 or 20 times. Bernard was always a character, as I best could describe. Even at 10pm at night, -20F, he'd come outside and help us unload into the garage with a beer in hand.

It was only my last trip up there this past season, in March, where I finally sat down with Bernard for about 20 or 30 minutes and talked about something other than snowmobiling. He had an interesting life story to tell. Did you know he was a miner, and a truck driver (among other things)? He had an interesting life.

I for one will miss him, and I suspect the local snowmobile club will suffer. My condolences and thoughts go out to Jocelyn, I hope she is coping alright with this.