If border stays closed going to try Maine

If border stays closed i'll be spending my 3 weeks i usually spend in Qc on the beach in Negril. Haven't even opened the trailer since i parked it in the trailer after the last trip end of March. Maine will be packed and I personally have no patients for crowds and whopped trails.  Maybe March riding when everyone is done and the best riding is to be found

Going to try and make a early run up to Fort Kent Maine ( snow permitting) between Xmas / New years. 

Going back to Maine ( Millinocket) mid Jan for a 7 day Bag ride.

Mid February, heading to the west side of the UP Michigan for a 8 day ride. 

Hopefully I'll be in Canada for the start of the 21/22 season but not this season.

If anyone wants to make a run After Xmas (26) ill be up at the NORTHERN DOOR ( Fort Kent).

All depends on the SNOW!!!!! and Negative Covid test before leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update on Covid and Maine.

Maine has been one of the safest states during the pandemic. However, like the rest of the country, we have seen a huge upswing of cases, posativety rate going up from .4 to almost 3, and cases going from a couple dozen a day to the mid 200's per day.  Another surge is expected in a week or so due to people gathering for Thanksgiving.

Most Maine testing sites need an appointment and are generally now booked several days out.

Out of state folks entering Maine (except currently Vt & NH) need to quarantine 14 days upon entering Maine or get a negative Covid test.

To get a lodging room, people from out of state need to show the lodge a certificate of compliance form.

Masking is now expanded to cover even when outdoors.

• 1 month later...

Landed in Jackman (Maine) today to get a couple days in on the new sled. Seems to be about 10-12 inches of snow, trails are groomed. Got a few hours of riding in.

Granted I only rode a few of the many trails, but for serious riding I would hold off until more snow. Some sections were quite good, then suddenly there would be a washout or ice jam across the trail or a section of gravel showing or brush growing up thru the trail.  For a couple days of riding just to get warmed up or try out the sled, it is not bad.  Other then that, wait!

mike

The new one is exactly like the old one, but, just doesn't feel to be as strong a runner as the old one. It is pulling about 500  rpm's less than the old one.

The softer rear torsion  springs I had installed made a nice difference. Much smoother ride. Hate the new guage,  Old school, don't like the digital readout of tach and speedo.  

A place next door to the hotel rents out the new Polaris Matryx sleds. I was at his door at opening hour only to learn from someone he is only open Fri-Sun.

Left to go south trails, but so bad quickly turned around and went north. These had been groomed again overnight and were pretty good. Lots of restaurants either closed up or open only a few days a week. It will be hard to get a meal here when they get snow and the crowds come.

mike

Yes on Bishops.  Place is well run. Cleanest hotel room I have probably ever stayed in. 

The place diagnolly across the street is open as is Moose River.  Not sure about the motel north of town, now called Taps, is open. Sally Mtn Camps open. Not sure about the cabins on the left a few miles north of town. More sleds in town today, but still very quiet compared to a winter with lots of snow. Maybe only six rigs at the hotel tonight.

Used to be a decent bar/restaurant just north of Bishops on same side of road, ate there a few times. Have stayed at Sally mountain before also, he's a good customer of mine, name is Corey. I can leave on my sled from camp in VT and be in Jackman in about 180 miles, maybe we can get together this winter to share a Vino! Is George along for the ride?

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Jackman for a few days. Got to ride a few hours this afternoon. First five miles out of town a little snirty and the groomer pulled up plenty of small rocks to cover the trail, but pretty good after that. Big question will be if there is enough snow on the trails to do any big loops.  gkw coming up tomorrow afternoon to join me. Storm in the forecast starting Tuesday, more coastal but maybe 6 to 8 here in the mountains.

mike

IMG_0004.JPG

6 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Hey Mike

Is it true there is a 2 week quarantine for out of stater's, other then NH, VT and maine?

What I understand is yes, quarantine or negative test within 72 hours before arrival.  However, I was in the office of this hotel and heard them on the phone telling someone they had to sign a document upon arrival that they quarantined before arrival or got the test results, but the hotel takes their word for it and does not require any proof. Not sure if that is how all hotels are doing this or not.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, mikerider said:

Hi Terry,   I didn't realize it was that short a trip.   Thru NH or thru Quebec?

And I know the restaurant, looks closed for business now. 
———————————————————

It was called Schmoose’s. Great atmosphere they had.

Moose River Lodge just up past that is open and has a small restaurant Ive had a good Prime Rib at. 🙂

Enjoy Jackman Mike !

Edited by EastMark

13 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Hey Mike

Is it true there is a 2 week quarantine for out of stater's, other then NH, VT and maine?

As of today its Quarantine for 10 days OR have a negative test result within 72 hours before entering Maine. You must fill out a Certificate of Compliance form at each lodging place you go to (No biggie). All info at link below. None of this a big deal to us. We want to saddlebag. Starting in Millinocket Saturday.

COVID-19: Travel | Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | Airborne Disease Surveillance Epidemiology Program | MeCDC | Maine DHHS

Edited by Snobeeler

On 1/31/2021 at 3:35 PM, mikerider said:

Back in Jackman for a few days. Got to ride a few hours this afternoon. First five miles out of town a little snirty and the groomer pulled up plenty of small rocks to cover the trail, but pretty good after that. Big question will be if there is enough snow on the trails to do any big loops.  gkw coming up tomorrow afternoon to join me. Storm in the forecast starting Tuesday, more coastal but maybe 6 to 8 here in the mountains.

mike

IMG_0004.JPG

Your sled looks lonely next to the light post out front of Bishop’s. 🤣. Enjoy your ride and be safe my friend!!!!!!