Late season riding

600IQHO

I only get to come north 1 or 2 times per year. My riding partner (wife) has broken her wrist. I have reservations @ the HI in Jonquier. Which I now need to cancell. My question is, how are the trail conditions up there on a typical year in mid March? I am looking at going somplace the week of March 16. Due to her wrist and work obligations I cannot get up there any earlier. I am up in the air about staying there or going to Le Cabanon. Will most places still be open? Or do I have to worry about gas due to places being closed. Will I still be able to ride out of the hotel? Of course if it is an extremely warm march that will answer all my questions, but @ this point I would like to make plans.

I only get to come north 1 or 2 times per year. My riding partner (wife) has broken her wrist. I have reservations @ the HI in Jonquier. Which I now need to cancell. My question is, how are the trail conditions up there on a typical year in mid March? I am looking at going somplace the week of March 16. Due to her wrist and work obligations I cannot get up there any earlier. I am up in the air about staying there or going to Le Cabanon. Will most places still be open? Or do I have to worry about gas due to places being closed. Will I still be able to ride out of the hotel? Of course if it is an extremely warm march that will answer all my questions, but @ this point I would like to make plans.

Chances are that the HI will have better riding conditions than the cabanon in mid March.

I have ridden from the HI in late March and into the first of April. Lots of snow problem is sinage comes down & grooming stops in early April. Mid March you should be good to go.

Chances are that the HI will have better riding conditions than the cabanon in mid March.

that is not always true i have been to both places that time of year and sometimes it is actually better around st. Zenon.But as far as gas and grooming go if they have good conditions they will keep on truckin'.you are going to have to wait and see i would not make a res. for that time of year just wing it. :drinks:

For what it's worth.....I have always found the "Abitibi" region (Val dor, Amos, Rouyn) area to be the best riding in mid-late March.

It takes longer in the season for them to pile up the snow but it seems to last later over there. Traffic is virtualy "nill" and everything is still open groomed and signed. And the trails dont come any flatter or faster than this area too!!!

I think I will just wing it! I will keep looking at posts for different regions & go where ever it sounds best at that time. I may now be able to go one week earlier.

I think I will just wing it! I will keep looking at posts for different regions & go where ever it sounds best at that time. I may now be able to go one week earlier.

I think that is your best bet.A few years ago we had a trip planned for the 2nd week of march to LSJ. It rained 2 days before we left and was warm (50 deg. F).everyone said not to go but all they were looking at was the what the weather had just been.It was to get cold they day we left and stay at or below freezing.I checked a couple websites made some calls to some club presidents and we decided to go.there was 4 of us and my buddy didn't really want to go he said it can't be good.I have to admit i had my doubts but we went,it was one of our best trips ever.There was lots of snow and no one on the trails.Take this advice when in doubt,call someone that is on the ground there,talk to a club president or even the owner of a prominent hotel.These people can't afford to steer you wrong. Good Luck :drinks:

• 1 month later...
I think that is your best bet.A few years ago we had a trip planned for the 2nd week of march to LSJ. It rained 2 days before we left and was warm (50 deg. F).everyone said not to go but all they were looking at was the what the weather had just been.It was to get cold they day we left and stay at or below freezing.I checked a couple websites made some calls to some club presidents and we decided to go.there was 4 of us and my buddy didn't really want to go he said it can't be good.I have to admit i had my doubts but we went,it was one of our best trips ever.There was lots of snow and no one on the trails.Take this advice when in doubt,call someone that is on the ground there,talk to a club president or even the owner of a prominent hotel.These people can't afford to steer you wrong. Good Luck :drinks:

Good news!! Cast is off, she is going to therapy! She said that she wants to ride Mont. Valins again. So it looks like I will be going to the HI! We will be leaving on March 8th. First time we will be staying there, we hope to meet the famous Saguenay Bill. See you then!!