What is it?

scorpionbowl

I just returned from my annual labor day trip to the PQ, and the sites were amazing as always, but I ran into something unusual and figured someone on here would know the answer. This picture was taken North of 93, to the West of St. Honore. I have no idea what these blue things are. They are a little smaller than the white domes farmers use for calves and each has a small arched opening. Any ideas?

Groomer,

Thanks for the reply. They didn't seem like bee hives, at least like the ones in the USA. They were more like an igloo with a little arched opening, it didn't look like anything was inside. I wish I took some closer pics.

These are bee hives I've seen:

They were more like this, but taller and narrower:

I was going to say what I thought they were but couldn't get a good look at them. Now that Groomer says they are for bees, I know what they are for sure. They are not bees, they are leaf cutters. They are used for industrial pollenating on agricultural jobs. I dont think they produce honey and the don't sting. They are used in Nova Sccotia for blueberries.

I was going to say what I thought they were but couldn't get a good look at them. Now that Groomer says they are for bees, I know what they are for sure. They are not bees, they are leaf cutters. They are used for industrial pollenating on agricultural jobs. I dont think they produce honey and the don't sting. They are used in Nova Sccotia for blueberries.

That makes sense, they were definitely in blueberry country.

i went back to check the reply of the guy on the french forum ,looks like he knew what he was talking about because he used a french word that i never heard of ,butinage...means collecting nectar.

i forgot a little something yesterday ,the guy said ,they put them in blueberries fields.

so smclelan ,you must be right .

funny that thing for calves !!

close to 0 c this morning.

groomer !!!