friends

sledneck800

i have a friend that is in his 40s when he was 18 got caught dui, i no from experience that they turn u home for that how does he go about getting across so we dont all get turned around and waste time ?trying to get resolved before season starts i have been going over for 18 years never a problem dont want one now!

Two years ago we were interviewed pretty extensively as we crossed going into Canada. Two of the party of four had DUI's in the past, though a long time ago. We were honest about it to them and nothing more was said, we went on our way. Now we are all older 50's!!!

I believe in being honest to the border patrol, they know more about you than you know about yourself.

This was just our experience, I have heard horror stories also.

same general thing for my brothers and I, one of my brothers was involved in something a little more serious, it has taken forever and is still not sorted out.

DUI is usually a quick one. If you want I may have a # for a service that can handle it for you. Might be pricey.

Canadian Website with Info:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_y...=258&menu=L

Later

Gutz

i have a friend that is in his 40s when he was 18 got caught dui, i no from experience that they turn u home for that how does he go about getting across so we dont all get turned around and waste time ?trying to get resolved before season starts i have been going over for 18 years never a problem dont want one now!

If it's more then 10 yrs. ago, don't worry about it. :drinks:

It does not matter how long ago it was. If it comes up on the computer they can and will refuse entry most of the time! You can get a pardon from the canandian govt, I believe it is around $300. I know someone that has done this and I will try to get more exact info but I wont see him for a couple weeks. I know last winter he didnt have his pardon paper with him and they refused him entry even though it came up on their computer that he had the pardon!!! Thats how I know about this.

It does not matter how long ago it was. If it comes up on the computer they can and will refuse entry most of the time! You can get a pardon from the canandian govt, I believe it is around $300. I know someone that has done this and I will try to get more exact info but I wont see him for a couple weeks. I know last winter he didnt have his pardon paper with him and they refused him entry even though it came up on their computer that he had the pardon!!! Thats how I know about this.

Last year crossing the border they asked us if we where ever arrested and I said yes. he asked for what and I said DWI 13 years ago. He asked if anything since, nope, then said have a good trip! Another time we got brought inside and searched along with the truck, my buddy got hassled for stealing a yellow blinking construction light when he was 18, 25 years ago. They never brought up the DWI and we where on our way again. I'm not worried crossing the border anymore.

They told us, at the border, that even childhood records were examined. This was the one and only time we've had issues at the border. Had my brother been in my car, we would have gone straight through, they never ask me anything about arrests or anything beyond ,"where you going?"

GutZ

Yeah we all have issues at the Border too. Not so much with just two of us in the truck but when there's the four of us we get yanked in all the time. Thing is you can't lie to anyone of those guys/girls there tougher than owl soup when it comes to protecting their country.

The one and only time that I had to go "inside" and get checked out, a prior DWI that happened 15 years ago, at the time, showed up. That resulted in a big u turn. I was told I had to go to the Canadian Embassy in NYC to get a pardon. That was 13 years ago. I never got the pardon and have crossed at least 2 times every year since. I believe when you hand them a Passport and act like you want them to see you in the vehicle, they are more lenient. I also believe that some crossings are rougher than others. Good Luck.

Yeah we all have issues at the Border too. Not so much with just two of us in the truck but when there's the four of us we get yanked in all the time. Thing is you can't lie to anyone of those guys/girls there tougher than owl soup when it comes to protecting their country.

You typically need a pardon for a DWI. Why even risk the chance of being turned away. My feeling is, if you are willing to take the risk of being turned away knowing that you can apply for a pardon but choose not too, then you better have alternate means to get yourself home because I would leave you right there. I am not going to ruin my trip because you are an ignoramous!

Edited by Shane

I too had a DUI in 1992, my first border crossing was in 1998. I have never been asked any questions about committing any type of crime. Since then I have crossed 1 to 3 times a winter no problems. You need to have a passport, I think that really helps as far as the questions that are asked. You also need to be quick and precise with your answers. You need to know where you are going, how long are you staying, do you have alcohol or tobacco, ect. You need to know the answers to all of the questions before you get there. You also need to be nice and respectful, that goes a long way!

When were you EVER pulled inside? Why would you lie? You typically need a pardon for a DWI. Why even risk the chance of being turned away. My feeling is, if you are willing to take the risk of being turned away knowing that you can apply for a pardon but choose not too, then you better have alternate means to get yourself home because I would leave you right there. I am not going to ruin my trip because you are an ignoramous
Edited by TILEPRO

We had a guy with us who had a pending DUI and he was not allowed to cross. He had not been to court yet and they would not let him in. Luckily we had another truck at a friends not far from the border so all turned out well, but it can ruin a trip if you are not prepared. We had a guy who went with us years ago that had a DUI. we always told him to make sure his wife was ok to pick him up because we were not turning back. He always got thru with no problems.