Security Precautions

scorpionbowl

Everyone talks about the crime rates in Canada and what to do about it. I get asked the question often, so maybe we can pin this thread, and people can add to the list. Here's what we usually do...

1. When you cross the border, don't tell them where you're going, make up a bogus place. If I'm going to Shawinigan I tell them I'm going to Chicoutimi and vice-versa.

2a. Park at a Hotel with secure parking for trucks.

2b. or stay at a smaller place out of town.

3. Cover your VIN number.

4. Pull the fuel pump relay and others like it.

5. Run a chain through a tire and frame.

6. Chain the trailer to the truck.

7. Chain the truck to a neighbors truck or light pole.

8. If you have a high-target setup, also install a hidden kill-switch to the starter.

We also carry a 6' chain and lock in the saddle bags for the sleds. We always lock them up.

Of course, the only chain to use is this...

Chain

a few from me

instead of leaving your rig in quebec start out in jackmen of fort fent maine its only a short ride to quebec from there

very safe place to leave your truck

2 try to stay out of the big towns say like rimouski find a nice small village or camps

Everyone talks about the crime rates in Canada and what to do about it. I get asked the question often, so maybe we can pin this thread, and people can add to the list. Here's what we usually do...

1. When you cross the border, don't tell them where you're going, make up a bogus place. If I'm going to Shawinigan I tell them I'm going to Chicoutimi and vice-versa.

8. If you have a high-target setup, also install a hidden kill-switch to the starter.

We also carry a 6' chain and lock in the saddle bags for the sleds. We always lock them up.

I'm not too sure I agree with item no. 1 One could be asking for trouble giving false info at the border.

Do you really think Canada Customs are involved in theft of vehicles?

Chain

Chain

Great list! :good:

Talk to your insurance agent to be sure all your items are covered.

X2 on the parking in Jackman or other close border towns.

I'm thinking about finding a '74 Suburban & steel open trailer that way almost anybody else would be a higher profile target.

Talk to your insurance agent to be sure all your items are covered.

X2 on the parking in Jackman or other close border towns.

I'm thinking about finding a '74 Suburban & steel open trailer that way almost anybody else would be a higher profile target.

I heard a guy tell once that he ties fishing line around his front ski and then through the window and tied to a coffee cup next to his bed. There is all sorts of cooky concoctions out there to try i guess :good:

tip

staying at table a roland in perce if you ever here a noise out side your room do NOT go out side to check things out in your undys with no key with winds to slam door shut

not good thing lmao 4 men standing outside room in undys 10below and key in locked room the worst thing is at roland to get 2nd key i had to walk across streat in to restaurant to get key in just undys mind ya lmao lmao

ooooooooooooooo riddin memorizes priceless

tip

staying at table a roland in perce if you ever here a noise out side your room do NOT go out side to check things out in your undys with no key with winds to slam door shut

not good thing lmao 4 men standing outside room in undys 10below and key in locked room the worst thing is at roland to get 2nd key i had to walk across streat in to restaurant to get key in just undys mind ya lmao lmao

ooooooooooooooo riddin memorizes priceless

Thats funny stuff right there LMFAO your junk shrivles up like a stack of dimes at that temp

• 1 year later...

How does lying to border security keep you safer?

100 percent can be fixed by staying in safe hotels. There are a lot of hotels that look great but aren't safe. I've always stayed at the hotel colibri and they never have a problem, but just across the street at the quebec inn they have had everything stolen.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

I have never had any problems with thefts. But I do as already stated here. Fuel pump relay, chain the sleds, ect. One morning I woke up and found out that 2 artic cats had been stolen. Some people came in late checked in, went to bed. They left the keys in the sleds and the trailer unlocked!! GOOD BYE SLEDS! I guess they never did there homework.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

awhile back i met a guy that owned a used car lot out on 125 in rochester nh he was a avid if not a retired ice oval racer from the late sixties to early 70,s but hw only rides in canada there was a hotel he heard of that stored all the guest sledds in a metal garage with a guard outside in a jeep well the story gets weard at the time polaris american made engines were all the rage in the 90,s and there were at least 4or 5 in this garage the nest day when the people went to warm them up they ranked on the rope and it come out with just a frayed short end so they opened the hood and no motors all taken out of the frames and the gard saw or heard nothing but when the mounty,s came they looked up on the roof and there was a hole cut and covered up with a board very clever .

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb/useless information: When out & about saddlebagging at different places we chain the sleds to each other facing opposite directions, because we'd heard stories of a pick-up truck coming by and throwing a hook on the chain and driving off dragging the sleds. So anything we can do to make it look like a hassle we do.

I have a GPS tracking device hidden in my truck and sled, you can track the location of your vehicle on line, hard to believe this technology has not led to some arrests or at least a few good beatings, god knows the guys that are doing this deserve it.

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

I have a GPS tracking device hidden in my truck and sled, you can track the location of your vehicle on line, hard to believe this technology has not led to some arrests or at least a few good beatings, god knows the guys that are doing this deserve it.

Hey Bob,

Tracking devices don’t work once a truck has been put in a cargo box shipping container.  That leaves much less time to track stolen vehicles.  

1 hour ago, Florida Snowman said:

Hey Bob,

Tracking devices don’t work once a truck has been put in a cargo box shipping container.  That leaves much less time to track stolen vehicles.  

Never knew that, but I do know that when you are 2 or 3 hours away from the shipping lanes you do have a chance with a phone call or a tablet to try and locate it and hope like hell you can beat them there. Also there are a lot of wanna bees out there that are not connected to organized crime that you could probably locate and today a lot of newer vehicle can be located, just like a cell phone. You have to at least try to either prevent these guys from targeting you or at least try to catch them, do not give them a free pass, it hurts everyone, the sport, the lodges and us.

Years ago, the thieves used to walk up to your vehicle and take a picture of your VIN number through your windshield and go to the local dealer and have a key made. Then they would walk up to your car and get in like they owned it and just drive it away but now law enforcement and the dealerships have partnered and you cannot get the key made unless you have one to copy. Otherwise you have to have your driver's license and or proof of the vehicle ownership.

16 hours ago, zeusand said:

Years ago, the thieves used to walk up to your vehicle and take a picture of your VIN number through your windshield and go to the local dealer and have a key made. Then they would walk up to your car and get in like they owned it and just drive it away but now law enforcement and the dealerships have partnered and you cannot get the key made unless you have one to copy. Otherwise you have to have your driver's license and or proof of the vehicle ownership.

I was always a little worried that anyone at the border crossing could send your info to some one in Montreal and they could be following you 40 minutes later with a key and just hop in your truck when you went to a restaurant and drive away with everything in a second. I work in the auto industry and I know this has happened because it is just not possible to get in a newer vehicle and get around all the software and drive away, some of this theft is by very organized, connected groups, like others here have said, they are shipping this stuff over seas .

• 3 weeks later...

http://lanauweb.info/nord/index.php/faits-divers/55-autres/5892-il-aurait-vole-neuf-motoneiges.html?fbclid=IwAR1_oRGTj1cEEQqGr9IzX8D8e7EyPh03htC4FYh9u91z9bC6KQXaISGYHvE

He allegedly stole nine snowmobiles

GUY LATOUR 

MARCH 11, 2019
01_800x600.jpg

Photo courtesy

OTHER

A 24-year-old man from Saint-Alphonse-Rodriguez was arrested on March 8 in connection with the theft of nine snowmobiles at an outfitter in Saint-Damien.

Police officers from the Sûreté du Québec, the Matawinie MRC station, were informed of this flight at around 10 pm on March 7. "The next day, SQ patrol boats intercepted a cube truck in Joliette. One of the stolen snowmobiles was in it, "explained Sergeant Eloise Cossette, spokesperson for the SQ.

The investigation linked these suspects to two other snowmobiles stolen in the same area. The driver was arrested, as well as the passenger of the cube truck for concealment.

The 24-year-old was detained and was scheduled to appear in person at the Joliette courthouse on March 11. The 24-year-old woman from Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines has been released and could face charges at a later date.

10 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

If those sleds were the ones they rent to big fleets of tourists who go up the middle of the trail 2-up with everyone flapping their arms like the wanna fly... I'm OK with the theft. Sorry. Just sayin'. 

It’s not only the tourists who run the middle of the trail or corner on the left, seems like at least half the sleds I meet are guilty of this. 

As for catching a sled thief, what ever punishment he gets will not be enough IMO.