Driving to the HI next friday.

Bill

Was going to leave from the HI and do Gaspe but looks like no snow over there :sad:

Now I am thinking of doing the Chibougamau loop. Is it 93 that goes way west out of Chibougamau and then back east counter clockwise is how I was thinking of doing it? How are things that way?? I have been to Chibougamau before but did not have the time to do the hole loop but hear gas is tough to find west of Chibougamau??

Thanks

Hi Bill,

With 8 days you have plenty of time to do a loop thru the Abitibi region. I think that is your best option looking at the snow and upcoming temps.

Going out trail 93 to the northwest side of the lake you can top off the gas at La Dore. Then there was a gas stop at the logging camp halfway to Chibougamau. If you search in the forum, there have been comments regarding this stop this year. The last stop if you need it is Relais du Nord which is closer to Chibougamau.

On the west side of Chibougamau, top off at Chapais. It isn’t too far outside of Chibougamau and you won’t really be very low on gas but it is a long way to the next stop. This is where you run the railroad bed for many, many miles. Towards the end of the rail bed there is a gas stop but I have heard comments of it not always being open. I don’t remember the name of the town. It may show it on a local map.

Once you get to Senneterre and beyond there is plenty of gas, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Amosphere Hotel in Amos is a very nice hotel with two outside hot tubs. Good place to stay.

The western part of Quebec is more bi-lingual.

We like coming back trail 83 thru Clova, Parent and Relais 22.

Sandi and I are planning on being at the HI Friday, Jan 22nd mid-afternoon. We are staying there for a long weekend. Be glad to chat with you if you’d like.

Jack & Sandi :D

Hi Sled Dog,

We arrive at the HI Friday Jan 22 in the afternoon. We are staying there over the weekend and are leaving to return home Tuesday Jan 26 in the morning. We are day tripping out of the HI this weekend.

Are you arriving Monday Jan 25 afternoon?

If you are, we can give you some info then. We have rode in the Abitibi region a few times. Not experts but some knowledge. It is a great place to ride.

Jack & Sandi :D

Or if you have a Better loop let me know. I am open for Ideas. There is 5 of us and we all ride good and our trip will be for 8 days of riding so lets hear some Ideas. :drinks:

You have plenty of time Bill, HI to Chibougamau to Senneterre to Parent and back to HI, i predict this will take you 3 1/2 days. I have done the Chibougamau run 5 times leaving from and returning to my house just west of Montreal clockwise and counterclockwise and 4 occasions did it in 7 days and the last time did it in 5. I aswell, suggest to include in your itinerary a tour of Abitabi on your trip, you won't regret it.

You have plenty of time Bill, HI to Chibougamau to Senneterre to Parent and back to HI, i predict this will take you 3 1/2 days. I have done the Chibougamau run 5 times leaving from and returning to my house just west of Montreal clockwise and counterclockwise and 4 occasions did it in 7 days and the last time did it in 5. I aswell, suggest to include in your itinerary a tour of Abitabi on your trip, you won't regret it.

Abitabi???

Abitabi???

I,ve been on quebec rider for years as a guest and decided to join to put in my 2 cent,s worth. Bill i am a member of abitibi region, so can give you some guidlines. Went last thursday and started in temiscaming, the start of the abitibi region.Rode friday up the 83 through royan noranda west on the 83 to just west of valdor. Took the 307 north to amos. First day. Second day amos to senneterre, on to quevillion. quevillion is the last major town before chibuagamou. The gas stop after the 160kms railbed going south out of chiuagamou is called miquelen, on the hwy. It is an indian outpost. I,ve never been there when it wasn,t open. Should not be a problem.We rode south back through senneterre to louvarcourt on the east side of valdor. Rode back west through valdor to royn noranda. Last day back to temiscaming. Total mileage 2 1\2 days. 1255kms. Saw approx. 25 snowmobilers the whole time. Trail system? 8-10 sustained high speed hwys. Low traffic. Atmosphere hotel in amos,,, 4 snowmobilers total. Unbelievable. Trails were golden. You should take the time to ride the abitibi excellent trails service hotels people. I ride approx 5.000 miles in a year there. never been dissapointed. They are 1 to 1\2 feet less snow this year so far, but still ample. Lakes are staked above valdor when i went. go and enjoy

Hi Reraut,

Welcome to QuebecRider.

Sandi and I have been to the Abitibi region a few times and have not been disappointed. Fantastic trails with low traffic. What else could a snowmobiler ask for. We thank the groomers for doing such a good job.

Happy trails to you. :drinks:

Jack & Sandi

better check the snow out west is not alot

chibougamu is probably an option but not much beyond there

just my 2 cents

not sure i believe that earlier post for the abitibi area sorry

Edited by iceman

better check the snow out west is not alot

chibougamu is probably an option but not much beyond there

just my 2 cents

not sure i believe that earlier post for the abitibi area sorry

Wide open, super highway region of the whole province for sure. Might as well go to Matagami while your up there. Have fun

Wide open, super highway region of the whole province for sure. Might as well go to Matagami while your up there. Have fun

[/quote

so momo you are saying everything is wide open meaning exactly what???

all trails are open right now??? or in general trails are wide and open???

I agree is supehighway region been there lots of times

is no record snow year for sure and the conditions are what is in question here.

I hope I am wrong cause I have not been out west yet this year and maybe you have.

so if so please elaborate on how good the conditions were for you and where you rode when out there.(this season 2010)

Not yet for 2010, see post #8 for conditions. Ive spent the last 2 yrs exploring this area. Widest, fastest part of the province

I agree with you for sure on the area

for sure is some of Quebecs finest trails

Iceman, i am not associated with the abitibi region it were i ride approx 5,000 miles a year. I,m from Toronto area and the drive here is only 4 hrs for me. Heres the straight goods, take them as you wish. Rode out of temiscamming friday jan 15. Temiscamming to amos. approx 400 kms. Other than 5 kms bad hydro line. 8-10 smooth fast no traffic. Jan 16 Amos to senneterre. Approx 110 kms. We rode this at 90mph. pretty much the whole way. Fast smooth no traffic. Seneterre to quevillion 120 kms. Ridden at approx 90mph. Smooth fast no traffic Quevillion to louvercourt 175kms. Smooth fast 80 mph. No traffic. Louvercourt to royan noranda 210 kms. 5 kms rough between valdor and malarctic other then that excellent. Lakes above valdor are staked ice huts trucks etc. Below valdor or east is all land based trail. Royan to temiscamming is mostly railbed, excellent fast no traffic. All my business cards are still in the heated huts from last year. I think i saw more groomers then sleds on friday. Approx mileage 1255 kms. By the way this area is the superspeedways of quebec hands down. The railline from chibougamau to miqulen 100 mph if you wish One stop sign. It is truly incredible. Watch your gas. I would like to keep this jewel of an area to myself it,s just not right. Maybe will see you there weather permitting jan 28-29-30-31.

I agree with you for sure on the area

for sure is some of Quebecs finest trails

That the funny thing about Quebec, Its all good. I have ridden most of the major TQ in PQ, except 3 north of the Taddossic ferry up towards baie come and sept isles. Last year this section was shut down with the rain. If I won a free 5 day trip in PQ. I would really have to think about where Id spend it. Its all good. My normal riding partner has opened a sled repair shop and is trying to get the shop of the ground this winter. With the economy being the way it is (I build composite canoes for a living) Money alittle tight this winter. Id like to do one nice trip and might have to hook up with some folks here......... I was in maine last week and TOOK a beating.