2023 Riviere-du-Loup Trail Conditions

revct1

Thanks  Steven.  I like the looks of the one piece molded windshield over the multi piece SkiDoo wiindshield.  Right  now a cheap mirror taped & velcroed on until I figure out something different.  I am trying to avoid mirrors that stick out beyond the windshield and cause air turbulence around my upper body.  

And isn't it time for you to come visit?  What's your big trip this year?

mike

Love following this thread very good info. I might be coming up to RDL within the next 2 weeks staying at universal of course would I be able to tag along with a group I have never been to this area but have ridden lots of Quebec. My father who I usually go with will not be able to join me anymore this year due to chemotherapy treatments. I really don’t want to ride a lone but really want to explore the area and learn it from people who know it well. I’ve been riding for 20+ years and am happy riding fast of just cruising around enjoying the sights. Thank you!

Thanks  Steven.  I like the looks of the one piece molded windshield over the multi piece SkiDoo wiindshield.  Right  now a cheap mirror taped & velcroed on until I figure out something different.  I am trying to avoid mirrors that stick out beyond the windshield and cause air turbulence around my upper body.  

mike

21 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Thanks  Steven. 

mike

Big trip will be Feb 14-25 We will be in your area at least once on that trip.  The trail now open above Forestville gives us the option of doing a loop, crossing on the ferry one way and the shuttle on the other.

How long are you in RDL this trip?

Until Friday, but may re-enlist for another week if weather is favorable.

When I drove thru New Brunswick on Saturday, saw good snow and lots of groomed trails.

Sounds like a good trip ahead. Years ago I did that trip solo. I must have been crazy.

Today was sunny and cold.  The Gutz brothers headed home and so JAK and I  are empty nesters.  Trails were perfect tens start to finish. Coffee at Tois Pistoles club house and lunch at Squatec. Over the mountain on #35 to Canano was as scenic as it gets with good snow and great views.

JAK's Oxygen helmet shield started to fail. I have never seen one sign for a SkiDoo dealer in cabano but once using an ATV trail to get gas I thought I saw a SkiDoo dealer sign down a side street that is residential. We checked it out and sure enough, hidden amongst houses was a dealer. New shield installed by dealer and on our way,  

#85 rail bed we came to the construction area where Quebec is turning a section of the road into a four lane: the road coming up from New Brunswick. We got stopped to wait out while they used some TNT to take out a hill. Quite a sight to see. Mother earth was angry about this as the hill rose into the air.

Got off the RR bed onto some side trails to finish out the day.  8* F when we got back to the hotel.

mike

( To get to the Doo dealer, going S on #85;  just before entering downtown Cabano and just after passing the groomer barn, bear right onto the ATV trail marked for Tim Hortons and a Shell gas station. About half mile start watching side streets on left side until you see a Doo dealer sign a few hundred yards down the side street.

My guess about the Cabano Doo dealer not having signs on the trail is due to the fact he is in  residential neighborhood and his neighbors don't want sleds riding by their houses all day long.   It is an easy ride by sled to the dealer, if you can find him.

Here in RDL it snowed all night, about 6 inches on the ground of fluff, another 4 or 5 inches expected and blowing winds. Going to be some good drifting. With the winds tonight, not sure they will bother to groom.

I had heard the St. Pamphile club house at the golf course has been closed the past couple years.

We stopped there today and it was open. Did not see a sign saying what days or hours it is open. Food was good.

mike

Hi Mark,      Is Hiboux the first one about 50 miles out going west on #5?  Couple times this past week it was closed when I went by in the morning, but was open yesterday morning..  The next one going west on #5 by the covered bridge,  I have not been by that one.

The big club house on the power line just before Rimouski   looks like it did not open this year.  

Even the RDL club house is not open all the time.

Going east on #5 I have only seen the one at Tois Pistoles open.

In Squatec, the only restaurant open is the very small one in town just past where they park the groomer.

In Cabano I heard the good pizza place is open a few evenings plus lunch on weekends.

There is a restaurant  in St. Cyprien (between Squatec and RDL.

The Cabano Pizza is closed Mon - Tue, opens at 4 pm Wed - Fri and opens at 11 am Sat - Sun if I remember correctly.  When we stopped on a Saturday, there was only one waitress taking care of the dinning area and the bar.  It was almost an hour wait but the pizza is good!

Jack & Sandi

Mike,

Sounds like everything is shaping up good up to RDL.  Should be up there around 02/08/23. Will be snowmobiling from my house in St Agatha Maine up to Universal for a couple nights. Looks good everywhere. New snow and cold in the long range! 

Oilman

Would be great to see you Oilman. I go home this Friday and might be back around the 12th. Picked up quite a bit of snow this week. Riding is great. Been riding with Joe, who rode with us to Squatec a few years ago.

Past 10 days of riding the trails have been amazing. About a foot of snow since my arrival. Yesterday;s run to Moose Valley epic. Trails are very quiet weekdays.

Got to try Jack's new G5 850. I am love struck. Maybe G5 600R short track in my future.

Good to return to RDL after the Covid lockdown. 

mike

Sandi and I are back at the Universal.  The ride to Moose Valley was my first trip.  240 miles and a very nice ride.  All but 10 miles was groomed the night before.  Like Mike said, low traffic during the week.

Yesterday we did a ride to Tourville.  Again, most of the trails were groomed the night before.  What wasn't groomed only had a day's worth of traffic.  Tourville had one room open.  Not packed like on a weekend.

Today should be a nice day of riding.  I'm waiting for the grooming map to be updated.  Tomorrow and Saturday are forecast to be cold days.  Those may end up being shorter rides.

Jack & Sandi

I am fine and home. . When I left, Jack was going for a ride in the bitter cold with PaDragon.

And NEK; you me and TrailBlazer need to do a re enactment of the infamous night of the Levesque. If you remember the name of the wine that night, I owe you a free drink