Registration question for the group

ODog

As a resident of the States, why do the Quebec authorities care if my sled is registered in my home state? They do, because I've been asked for it. I don't ride at home at all, so it's just a wasted fee that goes up each year. This year it's $150. which is not insignificant.

If it's a proof-of-ownership question, which is understandable, can I simply show my passport and the sled's Proof of Origin  -instead of registering in the states? (Of course along with my Quebec Registration)

Thanks everyone.

O

The deal is that we are buying a trail pass in Quebec..and insurance...I think it's a legal issue...if anything happens ...and you are not actually registered somewhere...lawyers and law enforcement will be all over you...kind of like your car....I never ride in Mass...bought my sled in New Hampshire...no sales tax...and I register it there...to cover my ass.

I have never had anyone question my registration in New Hampshire...I have a boat that I use only in New Hampshire...so I also register it there and not in Mass. Seems like the right thing to do if I am using it there...you can always transfer it to a mass registration in the future.

45 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I have never had anyone question my registration in New Hampshire...I have a boat that I use only in New Hampshire...so I also register it there and not in Mass. Seems like the right thing to do if I am using it there...you can always transfer it to a mass registration in the future.

Bob, I think you misunderstood my question.  I'm riding in Quebec and of course have a Quebec registration with included insurance.  Over the course of many years riding in QC, on occasion, unfortunately, we've been stopped on the trail and and they always request to see both my QC reg paperwork as well as a local registration from the state I live in. If I'm NOT going to ride in the state where I live, I prefer not to register. Why do the Quebec officials want to see my NH or MA or CT registration as well as the QC reg? If it's to prove I own the sled can't I simply show my Certificate of Origin? If it's to insure I have insurance, can't I simply show my insurance certificate? 

No I completely understand your question....and I too misunderstood what we were buying in Quebec...we are buying a trail pass...not a registration...so if you are not registered else where...you are operating unregistered....if you have insurance state side ...you can provide that and lower the cost of the trail pass....but they want you registered somewhere....they don't really care where you live...I have used registrations from Ma, NY, and NH over the years...depending on where I have been riding

This is why you must register your sled locally

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/C-24.2, r. 29

DIVISION VI

EXEMPTIONS FROM REGISTRATION

14. The following vehicles are exempt from registration:    (Meaning exempt from having to be registered in quebec.)

(4)  snowmobiles with a net weight of 450 kg or less belonging to persons not resident in Québec provided that such snowmobiles are registered in accordance with the laws governing the place of residence or business of their owner, that they bear valid licence plates of that place, that proof of such registration is provided at the request of the Société or of a peace officer and that the exemption granted under this subparagraph is granted by the government of the said place to a resident of Québec;

This section of another act covers the speed penalty

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cs/V-1.3?&target=

117. Any person who, in contravention of section 36 or 39, operates an off-highway vehicle or a maintenance vehicle at a speed in excess of the prescribed maximum speed is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of $30 plus,

(1)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 1 to 20 km/h, $15 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(2)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 21 to 30 km/h, $20 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(3)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 31 to 45 km/h, $25 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(4)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 46 to 60 km/h, $30 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit; or

(5)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 61 km/h or more, $35 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit.

If the speeding offence occurs at a location where the maximum prescribed speed is 30 km/h or less, the amounts specified in the first paragraph are increased by $5.

one more..  trails are close between 10pm and 6am

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/V-1.2, r. 5

DIVISION 1

OBLIGATIONS OF THE OPERATOR

1. No person may operate an off-highway vehicle at a rate of speed greater than 30 km/h in a place referred to in paragraph 1 of section 12 of the Act respecting off-highway vehicles (chapter V-1.2) or on a trail in places within 30 m of a dwelling, a facility operated by a healthcare institution or an area reserved for cultural, educational, recreational or sports activities.

No person may operate an off-highway vehicle between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. on a trail referred to in paragraph 4 of section 12 of the Act.

The first paragraph applies even where there are no signs or signals to indicate the rate of speed prescribed.

The second paragraph does not apply where a municipal by-law adopted pursuant to paragraph 2 of section 48 of the Act determines a different period during which the operation of off-highway vehicles is prohibited.

O.C. 1222-2004, s. 1.

4 hours ago, quebec bob said:

No I completely understand your question....and I too misunderstood what we were buying in Quebec...we are buying a trail pass...not a registration...so if you are not registered else where...you are operating unregistered....if you have insurance state side ...you can provide that and lower the cost of the trail pass....but they want you registered somewhere....they don't really care where you live...I have used registrations from Ma, NY, and NH over the years...depending on where I have been riding

Exactly, Quebec traill pass is not vehicle registration.

You must have a registration from some state if American or another province if Canadian. If you do not have a Quebec plated sled. 

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

"we are buying a trail pass...not a registration"  Now that makes sense. Thank you QB

2 hours ago, NHsrx701 said:

This is why you must register your sled locally

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/C-24.2, r. 29

DIVISION VI

EXEMPTIONS FROM REGISTRATION

14. The following vehicles are exempt from registration:    (Meaning exempt from having to be registered in quebec.)

(4)  snowmobiles with a net weight of 450 kg or less belonging to persons not resident in Québec provided that such snowmobiles are registered in accordance with the laws governing the place of residence or business of their owner, that they bear valid licence plates of that place, that proof of such registration is provided at the request of the Société or of a peace officer and that the exemption granted under this subparagraph is granted by the government of the said place to a resident of Québec;

This section of another act covers the speed penalty

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cs/V-1.3?&target=

117. Any person who, in contravention of section 36 or 39, operates an off-highway vehicle or a maintenance vehicle at a speed in excess of the prescribed maximum speed is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of $30 plus,

(1)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 1 to 20 km/h, $15 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(2)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 21 to 30 km/h, $20 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(3)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 31 to 45 km/h, $25 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(4)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 46 to 60 km/h, $30 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit; or

(5)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 61 km/h or more, $35 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit.

If the speeding offence occurs at a location where the maximum prescribed speed is 30 km/h or less, the amounts specified in the first paragraph are increased by $5.

one more..  trails are close between 10pm and 6am

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/V-1.2, r. 5

DIVISION 1

OBLIGATIONS OF THE OPERATOR

1. No person may operate an off-highway vehicle at a rate of speed greater than 30 km/h in a place referred to in paragraph 1 of section 12 of the Act respecting off-highway vehicles (chapter V-1.2) or on a trail in places within 30 m of a dwelling, a facility operated by a healthcare institution or an area reserved for cultural, educational, recreational or sports activities.

No person may operate an off-highway vehicle between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. on a trail referred to in paragraph 4 of section 12 of the Act.

The first paragraph applies even where there are no signs or signals to indicate the rate of speed prescribed.

The second paragraph does not apply where a municipal by-law adopted pursuant to paragraph 2 of section 48 of the Act determines a different period during which the operation of off-highway vehicles is prohibited.

O.C. 1222-2004, s. 1.

Thank you