Lanaudiere St-Zenon / Mattawin 8 january 2011

towing

I take few minutes to give you an update of Lanaudiere from my last ride from saturday 8 jan. We did La Glaciere to Mattawin round trip via trails #350/345/360 and a loop via M20 on the return.

Around 3 miles from La Glacière, they had to repair an hill and a creek bridge that were damaged by the thaw, with an excavator so there was maybe 500 feets with dirt and rocks

DSC08723.jpg

Other than that, we were on a very hard base with an half inch of new snow. Not much but enought to make the difference for hifax and cooling. On the #345, the trail was just groomed

DSC08729.jpg

There was the last 2 miles of new trail near Cabanon that were less good, tend to brownish...

DSC08731.jpg

On the north side of the Cabanon to the dam, the first 5 miles were pretty thin and tend to brownish by spots

DSC08734.jpg

After that when the trail come back on the reserve road the condition come back pretty good, on the thin side but very hard base groomed.

DSC08743.jpg

to be continued...

The 2 last miles before the dam have few rocks, not really bad. The Taureau reservoir is already lowered a 6 to 8 feet...

DSC01721.jpg

The #360 on the other side is even better. Few isolate rocks visibles and one or two bare curves at start and good after. Recently groomed...

DSC08751.jpg

Mid-way to Mattawin when we leave the St-Zenon grooming limit, the trail had not been groomed after thaw and had some ripple especially in curves than are pretty icy. Personally, I had leave my scratchers down all the day long because my rear flap is very high and my skid have hard time to keep his snow in dry condition but my partner on his polaris had no problem without scatchers and no overheating neither. No dirt or rocks

DSC08758.jpg

DSC08761.jpg

from the junction with the M20 (orange trail on Lanaudiere map) the trail was groomed and very nice up to the ZEC entrance around 6 miles from Mattawin (picture taken from the other side when we came back)

DSC08785.jpg

to be continued...

Those last miles are the less good, few brown snow spots but there's still snow

DSC08767.jpg

Fill up with meal and fuel...

DSC01734.jpg

And went back by the reverse path. To shape up the ride we took the M20 to loop on the #345 (repos trail)and came back to the dam

DSC08792.jpg

It was not recently groomed but very good snow cover. Wide and fast trail, just to be carefull for icy curves here and there..

DSC08796.jpg

We crossed the groomer on the #345 (repos trail),an other between the dam and the Cabanon and also an other before la Glaciere. They do their best with the little snow they have, they even widen the trail to get more snow from the side when they can...

DSC08812.jpg

Got back to the trailer with 210 miles on the dreameter. Trail very hard= 23,8miles/gallons (canadian) in the best my venture is able to do...

To concude, it is possible to ride but not every where for sure. We have to cross less good section to acces good one. The trail condition web site is pretty accurate from what I've seen: the good ride is north from the taureau dam. I also heard that the #318 in the Mastigouche reserve was good

We need more snow asap because the little we have will have hard time to support traffic, and to re-open the rest of the area. The base is still there and a 6" would bring us back to good condition... I hope that the one inch I had home yesterday also fall there at least...

Here the trail condition web site link...

http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/theme/snowmobile/conditions

:drinks:

Alain

The 2 last miles before the dam have few rocks, not really bad. The Taureau reservoir is already lowered a 6 to 8 feet...

on the other side is even better. Few isolate rocks visibles and one or two bare curves at start and good after. Recently groomed...

Mid-way to Mattawin when we leave the St-Zenon grooming limit, the trail had not been groomed after thaw and had some ripple especially in curves than are pretty icy. Personally, I had leave my scratchers down all the day long because my rear flap is very high and my skid have hard time to keep his snow in dry condition but my partner on his polaris had no problem without scatchers and no overheating neither. No dirt or rocks

from the junction with the M20 (orange trail on Lanaudiere map) the trail was groomed and very nice up to the ZEC entrance around 6 miles from Mattawin (picture taken from the other side when we came back)

to be continued...

Fill up with meal and fuel...

And went back by the reverse path. To shape up the ride we took the M20 to loop on the #345 (repos trail)and came back to the dam

It was not recently groomed but very good snow cover. Wide and fast trail, just to be carefull for icy curves here and there..

We crossed the groomer on the #345 (repos trail),an other between the dam and the Cabanon and also an other before la Glaciere. They do their best with the little snow they have, they even widen the trail to get more snow from the side when they can...

Got back to the trailer with 210 miles on the dreameter. Trail very hard= 23,8miles/gallons (canadian) in the best my venture is able to do...

To concude, it is possible to ride but not every where for sure. We have to cross less good section to acces good one. The trail condition web site is pretty accurate from what I've seen: the good ride is north from the taureau dam. I also heard that the #318 in the Mastigouche reserve was good

We need more snow asap because the little we have will have hard time to support traffic, and to re-open the rest of the area. The base is still there and a 6" would bring us back to good condition... I hope that the one inch I had home yesterday also fall there at least...

Here the trail condition web site link...

http://www.lanaudiere.ca/en/theme/snowmobile/conditions

Alain

Thank's Alain! great pics and report. As I told you in my PM some of my freinds and family are at LeCabanon now. I was planning on starting a new post and give day to day updates but I will just add it to your thread. I talked to my dad tonight and he said they received a few inches of snow sat. night into sunday. Today they went for a small ride to Koubek's taking the longer route on the way down and the 318 back. Like I told you there is one first time snowmobiler so they wanted to make an easy first day. He said the trails were surprisingly good. They definitely need snow but not many rocks and everything covered. No lube or overheating problems at all. Tommorrow they will do the same ride you did on Saturday take the 345 to the barrage then 360 down to Mattawin, I will post when I talk to him.

Thanks for the report Alain! Things sure look better than I expected. My next trip is approaching quickly and if the weather remains cold and you get a some snow every once in a while things should shape up real nice till the end of the month.

Glad to hear that they got some snow up there Viper2 :good: and that your family and friends have a good time :drinks:

Thanks for that report Towing, nice to see you're back in the trails once more and filing reports for all the members to follow up on. How about that dream meter of yours, how much have you got on it now?

you're welcome Trailblazer :good: it was our fourth ride of the season for a 665 miles total, not much but the best is to come... B)

Thanks for the report Alain! Things sure look better than I expected. My next trip is approaching quickly and if the weather remains cold and you get a some snow every once in a while things should shape up real nice till the end of the month.

Thanks actionjack and 600IQHO, it was even for me better than I was first expected. A thumb up to the trail condition web site that was spot-on to report accurate trail condition with detailed comments, they do a great job. I'm pretty sure that the conditions will be very good for the end of the month and really hope sooner than that... stay tuned for an other update soon...

Because an image worth a thousand words, left you this map that show the ride path we did (yellow path) easier to figure out the route we did...

carte.jpg

Alain

Edited by towing