Ski Doo 4-tecs starting in extreme cold...

Sled Dog

To you guys that have them, how do they start in the extreme cold of Quebec? I'm talking -30 to -40f. I know they sell the battery heater for them. Any of you guys use that? I've ridden Yamaha's up there for years and I know at -30f my Attak will start...begrudgingly...at -40f it won't. Starter spins the motor but there is not enough spin.

Thanks for any info you have!

Happy New Year!

To you guys that have them, how do they start in the extreme cold of Quebec? I'm talking -30 to -40f. I know they sell the battery heater for them. Any of you guys use that? I've ridden Yamaha's up there for years and I know at -30f my Attak will start...begrudgingly...at -40f it won't. Starter spins the motor but there is not enough spin.

Thanks for any info you have!

Happy New Year!

Last year it was -40F one morning the Saguenay, acording to the local newpaper. My 1200 started up. I have no battery heater. It never got to -40 again but it did get to -30C other nights and I never had any issues.

Bill

Edited by Saguenay Bill

Last year it was -40F one morning the Saguenay, acording to the local newpaper. My 1200 started up. I have no battery heater. It never got to -40 again but it did get to -30C other nights and I never had any issues.

Bill

I agree with Bill, I have had the yamaha 1000 at -40 and one weekend-50, they struggle at those temps, Have not had the 1200s in conditions below -30-40 but they do seem to start easier than the yami.

At those temps its amazing to get anything going without some heat. On the 50 below time with the yamis, we had battery chargers and hair dryers going on the battery and base to get them up and going RR

Yeah at -40f we also had to use a hairdryer and battery charger to get our Yamaha's going. The next night the place we stayed at let us keep them inside a heated garage.

The 2-stroke Ski Doo's next to us started right up! Not a good day for Yamaha!

Good info on the 4-tec, thanks.

Guy I ride with has the GSX 1200 (1st year they came out - 2009?) and it starts fine in the cold temps although I can't say we have experienced -40F

As a sort of 'side note' I believe BRP dealers are using a full synthetic when they do oil changes on the 1200. (I believe this is also the spec?) That makes a big difference. Also, the batteries in any of these sleds may or may not be good enough to start in cold temps after they are just a couple of years old. This depends allot on the care they have gotten, etc.

Personally, I think many of the folks who ride 4 strokes with cold starting issues either have the wrong oil or a marginal battery - and maybe BOTH. Starting any engine when it is below -20F is tricky and requires a strong battery for sufficient crank speed, oil viscosity to allow that (4 strokes), and a fuel blended for the conditions delivered in the correct amount to combust. These days, fuel blend may be our biggest obstacle.

I am a strong supporter of Mobil 1 but Amsoil and others are good too.