Texting in NY FYI

Trailblazer

NY State Police Get Tall SUV to Catch Texting Drivers

It's not easy to catch drivers that are texting on highways. To help them be more effective, state troopers have been given 32 tall SUV's to better peer down at drivers hands.

This move is one of the nation's most aggressive attacks on texting while driving, and also includes "Texting Zones" (rest areas) where motorist can pull over to use their devices.

There are 41 states that ban texting while driving and 12 states that ban using hand held cellphones, New York does both. in 2013 the state increased the demerit points from 3 to 5 and carry a fine of up to $200.

Edited by Trailblazer

I saw somewhere else, I think was in Tennessee, where the troopers use a Tractor trailer with a trooper driving to spot texters and point them out to patrol cars nearby.

I wish vehicles had something in them as soon as the engine starts you are unable to text !! In fact I could care less if the phone didn't work at all in a vehicle then maybe people would watch where the hell they are going and realize the light turned green etc..........Best part is as soon as a plane lands all the people grab their damn phones like a bunch of freeks !!! for Christ sakes ! Don't get me started :shock:

I wish vehicles had something in them as soon as the engine starts you are unable to text !! In fact I could care less if the phone didn't work at all in a vehicle then maybe people would watch where the hell they are going and realize the light turned green etc..........Best part is as soon as a plane lands all the people grab their damn phones like a bunch of freeks !!! for Christ sakes ! Don't get me started :shock:

The quote of our times for anything and everything: "There's an app for that!" Well there is.

You can set your device into a mode so it'll automatically reply to incoming messages saying that you're driving and your response will be delayed.

I've been in the wireless business since "car phones" (that's why I get into the woods at every opportunity), anyway I really appreciate AT&T's lead in this campaign: http://www.itcanwait.com/stories/