Trail report Monteregie/Laurentides

Trailblazer

Well after several phone calls to fello riders everybody copped out because of the cold brrrr boo hoo....rookies! So I decided to go solo(got the time got the sled sunny skys trails are at their best for this time of year) and burn some gas around the block.

Left the house at 3 took local to 306, 306 to 301 and 33 east/north to the Lake(Lac des deux Montagnes) all flat hard and with a little snow. Decided to take the 312 to the 317 but no stakes on the lake so I followed an already beaten path from others saw a fisherman he sad ice was 12" I guess the club is a little behind. Lake was sketching with bare spots and snowy spots but with my new Ice Attack track I never felt the slip on the ice. 317 across the lake was staked so i went for it, took the 333 east to the 33 then south back to the lake, this side of the lake the trails are a lot different, a lot more snow on the surface but still have a hard packed flat base just beautiful. 33 back to 301 then 306 to my local and back to Chez JG by 7 with 210klms for the round trip.

Sorry no pics was enjoying the ride too much.

Tomorrow going with a group to Lacolle, looking for a trail to cross the Richelieu without shuttle service.

Well after several phone calls to fello riders everybody copped out because of the cold brrrr boo hoo....rookies! So I decided to go solo(got the time got the sled sunny skys trails are at their best for this time of year) and burn some gas around the block.

Left the house at 3 took local to 306, 306 to 301 and 33 east/north to the Lake(Lac des deux Montagnes) all flat hard and with a little snow. Decided to take the 312 to the 317 but no stakes on the lake so I followed an already beaten path from others saw a fisherman he sad ice was 12" I guess the club is a little behind. Lake was sketching with bare spots and snowy spots but with my new Ice Attack track I never felt the slip on the ice. 317 across the lake was staked so i went for it, took the 333 east to the 33 then south back to the lake, this side of the lake the trails are a lot different, a lot more snow on the surface but still have a hard packed flat base just beautiful. 33 back to 301 then 306 to my local and back to Chez JG by 7 with 210klms for the round trip.

Sorry no pics was enjoying the ride too much.

Tomorrow going with a group to Lacolle, looking for a trail to cross the Richelieu without shuttle service.

Trailblazer

How did your quest to find a trail across the Richelieu turn out???

timbo

Ooops....sorry Timbo for not getting back on that, we had two obstacles that got in our way, crossing the water to Valleyfield which was not staked and if it's not you don't go! That water is very unpredictable, there is also another passage over water bringing you to Beauharnois 306 that the locals call the fisherman trail, it was not staked but I knew it was ready to cross but the rest of the crew didn't want to go.

Once you've gotten to the Valleyfield/ Beauharnois side we still have to cross the Seaway/shipping lane, to cross this there is a steel grated draw bridge that stretches for about a kilometre long and the guys do not like crossing that bridge because it damages the carbides. Ideally the guys suggested that we should've trailered to the other side but that was not the point.

I got not problem crossing that bridge Carbides is a tougher metal than steel and can cut steel. In fact it should be the sleds kept off the bridge.

So we ending up riding to Mirabel St.Jerome Lachute Rigaud . 306 301 33 local to 312 317 333 33 3 317 312 33 local to 306 left at 10 back by 4, 5 in the group 285klms and all was flat hard and well groomed we were so spoiled. Crossing the lake on 317 coming back was very slushy I thought for sure up river at Point Fortune/Carillon dam they must have opened up it up a little.

Pouring rain now so much for leaving from the yard until we get more snow

JG

It was a shot in the dark to find a trail to cross the Richelieu, the latest Quebec trail map shows no signs of a trail crossing it. However, I am fortunate to have a Monteregie Regional trail map that dates back a couple years, I say fortunate because earlier this season I was in touch with Tourism Quebec for an up to date one( I didn't see them at the shows) and they told me they no longer make them for Monteregie and that the one I have was the last year they produced them because of the lack of snow and trails in the past years for this region and told me to hang on to it.

In any case on my old Monteregie Regional trail map it does show a crossing at Lacolle probably cross on a side walk over a bridge. I will have to explore more this area to find out, we usually go north of Montreal to head east it would interesting to try heading east on the south side.

After the rain we're having here today not so sure I'll get that chance again this year, south side deterates quickly.

Neat to hear of someone riding south of the St. Lawrence.

It looks like 5 crosses up by Sorel. and some others between Sorel and Chambly, but nothing south of that...per the on-line map.

Way down in Lacolle, it doesn't look like any snowmobile trails cross. But, do believe that the VTT/ATV trail crosses the Highway 202 bridge.

I'm about 30 miles east of Lacolle. We are getting hammered hard.

NW_Vermont.

JG

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like your weather is as soupy as it is here in PA. Appears you have jumbo cold on the way so everything should knit-up pretty well. All you need is snow, LOL.

I, too, have often though (in good snow years) about riding south of the river. Doesn't seem like this will be the year to try it.

timbo

JG

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like your weather is as soupy as it is here in PA. Appears you have jumbo cold on the way so everything should knit-up pretty well. All you need is snow, LOL.

I, too, have often though (in good snow years) about riding south of the river. Doesn't seem like this will be the year to try it.

timbo

So January 6th and your calling the season over ?

Right now RDL could go either way. Got about 3 inches of snow overnight, then few hours of sleet, then few hours of very light rain.

Started to clear a short time ago and now back to very dark clouds. If no more rain it might be okay in a day or so, after groomers mix up this top layer, stay tuned.

mike