Vermont ride into Quebec 2-28-14 Friday-Sun am

davemod04

We just had the most perfect little 500 mile ride from home into Quebec this past week-end.

We really love it when we can ride from our house, no trailering!! The ride plan was modest, Dana in the middle of a Winter cold, but she's a trooper and our friend Bob from Ct... Rode from Holland (Derby Line) Vermont on Friday mid morning, crossed border in Norton, Vt. We rode up the 521 to Sam's Turnpike, one of our favorite little yellow trail crossovers to trail 521 North to Sawyerville. Stopped for lunch in Sawyerville, great little restaurant run by english speaking Tina. Scooted on up to the 55 to Weedon, picked up the 65 to 540 to the 25 in Thetford Mines. Comfort inn was our home for the night, we were in at 4:00 o'clock, early but good time for an early beer and dinner at St Hubert's next door. Trails were all fresh groomed and perfect, almost no traffic and weather was perfect. Felt like we wanted to keep ridiing but didn't want to overdo 1st day. Nice easy 150 miles-perfect.

Saturday plan was to head East and loop back around to Lac Megantic. Headed out east on the 25 out of town, fresh groomed and super fast, super fast, did I say super fast. nice. Took the 55 east in Adstock, tricky intersection, easy to take 55/25, but we'd been here before, so we headed 55 towards Notre dame-des-pins. Again trails perfect to the big red bridge crossing the Riviere Chaudiere in Nd de Pins. Gas and go to the 75 north to the Beauce clubhouse 55/75. Early lunch, great clubhouse there. This area gets a lot of traffic north-south on 75 from Jackman and east-west on the 55, and was a bit bumpy and traffic a few miles either side of clubhouse, but not bad. Once headed east on the 55 it was great power line riding on perfect trails, with just enough snow dust to keep things cool and speed in check. Just past Lac Etchemin took the 545 South towards St Cyprien. Almost no traffic, fresh groomed, perfect trails-God is great! We took the 545 down to short yellow trail cut off to trail 75 to grab some gas. Turns out trails were so smooth and running so much in the 50-75 mph speed range our fuel burn was super good, 6 gallons/87 miles. But, better safe than sorry. Continued on down the 75 to clubhouse in Armstrong. Trail 75 was remarkably good through this section. Time for Dessert! Stopped at the clubhouse in Armstrong. Nice place, had some sugar pie, hot chocolate, some conversation and ready to make our dash to our next home at the Hotel Le Quiet in Lac Megantic. Took the bullet trail 25 west out of clubhouse (watch for deer) to 580 west to Lac Megantic. All super good, with almost no traffic. Arrived invigorated and enjoying life at 4:30 with an all good 202 mi.

Sunday am took the 65 north/west towards Weedon, power lines-awesome, some woods-very good, some road trails-super. From Weedon we retraced our ride back thru Sawyerville-back into Vermont. The few inches of snow that fell overnight Saturday helped with road crossings/ road trails making for no issues there. Border crossing uneventful, very polite welcome to US from customs, nice change. Vermont 15 miles to home were all good, showing signs of a busy week-end in Vermont. 150 mile dash to home, in at 2:30. 500 mile for the week end. Yeah Winter. South shore is sometimes as good as the north shore.

If I knew how to post pictures, we have some. later freinds.

post-773-0-31022100-1393880252_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-47412400-1393880290_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-14668400-1393880329_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-63895400-1393880352_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-41723300-1393882085_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-54080900-1393882100_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-60296000-1393882122_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-87885800-1393882137_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemod04

Nice report, My old stomping grounds, since I used to ride of of Pittsburg NH for yrs. Just wondering what down town of Lac Megantic looks like since the fire? And if anybody knows anything about Hotel sur de Lac in - on Lac Megantic. I dont think it was affected by the fire Owners name was Michel Provost. Last I knew, his daughter was running the place, but its been awhile.

Is the old hotel Sawyerville still open? Place was fun.

Edited by momojohnny

we didn't see downtown from where we stayed Lac Megantic. also, not sure about Sawyerville hotel, trail doesn't go thru downtown anymore, goes straight on road back to rr bed, just cut up 1st side street to restaurant and last side street to gas.

we didn't see downtown from where we stayed Lac Megantic. also, not sure about Sawyerville hotel, trail doesn't go thru downtown anymore, goes straight on road back to rr bed, just cut up 1st side street to restaurant and last side street to gas.

Okie Doke, Thanks

Awesome trip. Love to do that one day. Really like the Lac Megantic La

Patrie area. Bar Massiwippi - fun bartenders. FBI friends in VT. Think my truck would be safe there. As for deer they really mean it in that area. When you see a deer warning sign look out. Took out a coyote or something similar in size at night in that area. Talk about freaky. Other then the hair remaining on my sled and saddlebags only saw a vague form rocketing at me from the dark periphery followed by the physical and audible thud.