Border crossing with a DUI

doonali

Decade old things will come up at a border crossing if you are there long enough.A few years ago we went thru a small crossing in Vermont on sleds, 2 guards with nothing to do on a Sunday AM. One of our riders had a non felony offence with alcohol involved on his record about 8 years old. After about 1 hour inside he came out shaking his head, no word whether he was going across or not ,next was me, went in and was handed a phone, on the other end was a woman who started asking questions about my past. I have never been arrested, but was asked about a car theft and arson that I, and all of the people I worked with were questioned about, they caught the people who did it. She asked me if there was anything else that I was not telling her. WTF? The guard said go outside and wait. They brought in our last rider and they all came out about 15 min later. The rider with the alcohol related offence was not let in, he had to file with the Canadian govt for a formal pardon, same with a DUI under 10 years old. Dont lie at the crossing, they know everything. He had crossed every year after the offence with no problem before this, so I think the guards in the booth have limited access to info, but if they want to check they can. Also went on a trip with a few people a few years back and 1 of the riders had a pending DUI but had not been to court, he was turned back. If you have a DUI under 10 years old, contact the Canadian Govt, they will let you know what to do to get in.

The 10 year rule that has been brought up in previous posts is related to the amount of time that needs to pass before a person with a DUI can apply for a permanent pardon for that 1 offense only. If your DUI was 11 or 31 years ago you can still be denied entry but have a SLIGHTLY better chance of getting let in than if it was 10 years or less. I know all this because I helped a buddy go through it. Its not easy either.

When my friend applied for the pardon it was 8 years after offence, no problem, but alot of paperwork. They told him after 10 years the govt considered you rehabilitated if no other offenses. Either way if they dont want you in there country you are going home.

Snow farmer pretty much hits the nail on the head. I was denied entry once because I had some horseshoes in my car at crossing time once and they thought I was going to sell them so they denied me entry sent me back stated to get rid of the shoes.They allowed me in after but I was flagged so ever time I went they sent me into immigrations for questioning and I was always allowed entry but very annoying. This lasted 87 visits until the famous Sno beeler invited me on one of his trips to Quebec where we were detained per usual finally one of the officers reviewed my case and removed the flag and said after 87 crossings I think your ok that's was a big relief because everyone in our party were sweating bullets thinking Thier going to jail haha. My advice when crossing A - know exactly where your going and what your doing . B - be terse in your explanation c- don't offer any side bar conversation. They have the right to do whatever they see fit to do there job.

The dog food thing is no joke when going into the States! When they ask if you have food to declare, dog food counts. Spent over an hour at the border one night for unknowingly trying to smuggle lamb dog food into the country. Complete vehicle search & seizure of the food. Also, they were upset to the point of refusal that our dogs were growling at them while they searched our van without us. They certainly are Judge, Jury and Executioner for those few hundred feet.

Edited by P Hardy