February Loop out of St. Raymond

clarkely

looking for information on conditions ...... specifically on leaving out of St. Raymond - and any conditions reports on the route you want to throw at me is appreciated

Day 1 - looking at leaving there between 16-18th of February and basically riding up 3 and locals to Tadoussac area - havent heard much - i read its passable (before latest storm) - or may have to go up 23 and across 368/383

Day 2 - Tadoussac area through Mt. Valin to St felician - This i know will be good

Day 3 - ride west and south of lake or back into Valin (condition dependent) then into Saguenay for the night

Day 4 - Down 23 stop at Ice hotel and then back to St. Raymond --- if we could go up 3 on day 1 if not then probably over and down 355 and then back to st. raymond

Hi Clarkely,

This is a strange year with the conditions changing daily. We are up at Jonquiere now and it is fine here. The south side of the Lac is supposed to have some thin areas. The rest of the Lac area is good.

Look at our posts for St Raymond in the Quebec area forum.

What we have heard for Tadoussac and trail 3 is that right now it is thin. I think that area received some rain from the last storm.

Make your reservations and a few days before take a look at the forecast and what riders are posting. Make your decision then.

Jack & Sandi

Clarkley, as stated above you will have to wait and see. We rode out of Baie St. Paul left Jan 24th went up to Tadoussac then up through Mt. Valin all good. We then came down to Alma using various regional and local trails and all was good until Alma very very thun around Alma and the whole eastern shore of the lake. Took the regional trail right on the shore through Desbiens and was very low snow but passable. Around Chambord things started getting better snow and was surprisingly good cover around Roberval. Everything North and West of there was good including Chibougamau. We rode to LaTuque via Relay 22 on the 28th and good snow on the 83 and 73 much of it fresh but 73 is poorly marked and there is a logging operation maybe 20 miles south of Relay 22 looks like a new Hydro line to Rapid Blanc and it was very poorly marked. There is also a plowed and sanded (more like rocked) section that has to be over 10 miles until you cross the Barrage at Rapid Blanc. The trail is on the side but was full of frozen plowballs when we passed. The main problem with 73 besides the twisty nature is you are basically running on the summer ATV trail so no specific markings when the snowmobile trail splits off. We came back up the 355 to Lac Edourd and from there up to Lac Bouchette it was really not marked at all and in fresh snow it is a challenge.I think in 80 miles there were 2 signs for 355 and one that said Lac Bouchette. This trail did however have really good snowcover. Keep in mind this was all before the last rain.The last day we rode was Saturday and we went from Chalets and Spa in Chambord (really nice place) and took 83 Jonquiere was snirt to St. Felix down the local to 383 then 83 to 3. 3 was tore up rough and icy they had the Rally poker run and it was bad, can't imagine there is anything left after the rain. If they don't get any decent snow till you go up I would not attempt 3 and I would ride to at least Baie St. Paul

Clarkely

I posted on the quebec/charlevoix site what I saw on one small section of the 3 today. We're headed up to the lake tomorrow and then on Sunday trying to get back to the four seasons to get within cab ride distance of our truck on the south shore. We'll be on the 3 again and I'll post. Remember a lot can change in 10 days.

Jeff

True story. This area needs a significant dump, without more warm ups.

We just rode 4 days between St Raymond & Ice Hotel & www.troududiable.com/

Shawinigan.

Monday after the rain it was like mashed taters, plus some side roads melted to the gravel plus a lake & river roped off, so we made believe we had wheel kits (but we didn't) a rolled thru some Rue Principal.

Then Tuesday wicked cold froze trails solid (the snirt and the snow), so we replaced a slide here and a carbide there and SCRATCHERS for all!

Wednesday SNOW! Nice heavy cream cheese. The frozen base was right under the 3 to 6 inches, but it was way better with than without!

Then afternoon cut short when freezing rain stuck to the (electric) faceshields and windshields and bags and jackets and monkeys.

Thursday! Thursday! Thursday! Great day, much less rain. We had a mix of first tracks breaking the creme brule crust and recent grooms, and not yet groomed or signed.

Pics soon for sure.

post-181-0-37059200-1454737648_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-91030700-1454737690_thumb.jpg

anyone happen to have any updates on through Quebec city area ...... wanting to leave St Raymond Wednesday the 16th up to Tadoussac .....could head up to Le Etape and back down ...... but looking for best route ....

if passable through city ......3 and locals then that is most direct.... if not passable we need to head north first and over .....well may need to change hotel reservations....

any updated/current feed back is appreciated - thanks

Edited by clarkely

We are going up tomorrow, Feb 12th, but we driving all the way to LSJ. We couldn't get reservations at Roquemont because St Raymond is having their antique snowmobile festival this weekend and the Roquemont is sold out.

Sorry we can't help you on this one.

Jack & Sandi