Western Loop Mar1-6

800steve

Shawinigan-Mont Laurier- Val D Or- Chibougamau- Jonquire- Shawinigan

Three for the ride this week, one of our normal group has to work, sorry Andy, but winter wont wait. Blue skies and fresh groomed trail out on 23 Tues am. 23 first tracks all the way to Cabanon, beautiful. Over to St Michel for lunch, not so good, but a short ride. Next 33-63 sud, The worst trail I have ever ridden in Quebec. 25 miles of mine field. It had me wishing I was on 93 from Km 31 and the ski area on Sat afternoon.Hit 63 west at cafateria and better but not great. About 10 miles out we see 3 sleds stopped with cowl open and stop to see if we can help. They dont speak much english, but our new third man speaks french, great to have on a log trip.They have the belt off on the 800 skidoo,and say the starter is not working. Hit the key and a big clunk. I try to move the front clutch and no go, Its going to be a long tow to town for them. No more 2 strokes for me. Onward on 63 meet the groomer heading our way and its good going to the rail bed at L Ascenion. Great all the way to Mont Laurier.Gas up and head over to Comfort Inn, rookie move here, no rooms on a Tues night? Had no idea its so busy here. Nice gal at the desk calls around and finds us some room at Quality inn, they will hold for 15 min so get going. Nice place full of sledders, Time to get some rest for its starting to snow and tommorrow is a big day. Meet 2 guys at the Hotel that came this way and they were told that there is a new trail 5 km west of the 33 that was so bad, but not marked. Why?

Wed- Mont Laurier- Val D Or

Big snow last night, weather channel said we would see 10-15 cm, wrong, more like 20-40 and the wind is blowing and still snowing.Go out after breakfast to brush off sleds and talk to 2 guys that came in from the west last night. They said they would not go back that way after this snow, Last 100 miles in has not been groomed in a long time. Back to the room and rethink the day. Head back east. First tracks out of Mont Laurier. A few more red stakes would be nice, but we find our way back to the rail trail and a single track out east. Get to the intersection of 53-63 and have to flip the coin, 53 nord it is, a foot to 18 inches of new with no tracks. Almost to Mekoos before we see any sleds heading our way, change off breaking trail all the way up and very happy seeing that single track in front of us, way easier than no track at all. Hit Mekoos at noon. Boots full of snow and wet, strip down and dry off by the fire. Head nord on 53 and have to flip coin again at 53- 33 intersection, one track on 33 nord so its off to Parent. Not bad, lots of snow but smooth. Hotel Central for the night. What a place!!! If you have not been to this GEM of a resort you need to get up here. If you have been here you know what I mean, if not put it on your list of have to see places.

Thurs Parent- Roberval

-24f morning, clear and calm and cold. Not as much new snow up here so easy going to Gouin turn off where we pick up alot more tracks to Casey turn off. Stop at Wemotaci for gas, new gas station, easy in and out. Big fields are drifted out this way, stop to help a guy who got off a little and was stuck pretty bad. Whats up with this picture, Towing saw the same thing, Three of us jump in the snow to get him out and his friend stands there and watches? He is out and we are gone.Meet the groomer by the Windigo turn off, perfect to Relais 22 for lunch. Easy on the eyes in resteraunt. Groomed last night on 83 to the bridge, perfect. After the bridge not so good, but meet the groomer about 10 miles out. Alot of traffic, so the trail does not hold up well,but ok to 373 turn off. Ruff up to Roberval, groomer has been off trail in a few places. Get to hotel and the drag is sitting there but no tractor? Good day, met up with Trail Blazer and his group at the hotel, nice bunch. Hot tub tonite, big day coming up.

Roberval- Jonquire

-1f in the tent at hotel, blue sky, looks good. Out on trail, not so good, groomer broken? 5 miles up 373 pick up fresh groomed, but temp down to -20f, and some long runs today. All good up to 93, not a cloud in the sky and first tracks, like Bill says, Paradise. Take the long way up thru Girardville, no sleds and perfect grooming, one of my favorite rides in Quebec on a nice day. Up 367 to Mt Valain for lunch, fresh trail, 185 miles before lunch, Great. Trail Blazer and crew in the parking lot, heading for the monts, look very happy. After lunch head over the mont to Onachiway, best I have ever seen this trail, awesome. At the relay, we give the new guy a choise of which way to go back, Bras Lois or 476, he picks 476, his ankle is sore and ready to get back. Good trail all the way to the Delta. At the Delta have never seen so many sleds, parked everywhere. Bill, and wife and Pepper in the lobby when we get in, Trail Blazer and crew heading to dinner. 285 miles of the best trails all year. This is what we come here for.

Jonquire- Shawinigan

Have to make a fast get away this morning, Trail Blazer says they are not coming back so there might not be much snow left on the trail south, lol. We are leaving the parking lot and they are in front of us, But to our luck they head to the gas pumps, good for us. 83-383-368 all pretty good, stop at hut at 23 intersection, trail looks good south, but alot of traffic. Quick gas at Mt Apica and off we go. Good to about 5 miles of L Etape, always beat around intersection there, 23 south to St Raymond club house perfect, want to go orange trail across to 73, but talk to some locals at clubhouse and they say no. 23 to 73 awful, 73 north to 353 awful, groomer is broken in St raymond. 353 pretty good to 23. About a 10 mile stretch is horrible, Back on 353 to St Ubalde better. Meet up with 2 of our group that is up for the weekend at the Cavro in St Ubalde. Iceman, I dont know if you have been there this year, but all redone under new owner, very nice, they need a new sticker. 302 to St Severin, good, St Severin to the river, Saturday afternoon bad. Met some guys at the river bank trying to get to Auberge Trapper having a hard time getting across in the dark, follow us across and we are back to the hotel.

Local

Do 65 miles with the guys heading out 23 today this morning, Warm today and trails are getting mushy for the first time this week. Say goodbye at intersction and head back to load up for home, 1300 miles for the week, with no problems, hope to get back up one more time before the end, warm temps coming for the next 2 weeks.

Nice run Steve, you found some nice stuff. 93 up and Through Girardville oh yes one of my favorites. Will make a note for St Ubalde, thanks for the heads up.

You are correct about Hotel Central Parent.We were warned it was a pretty tough place but the people couldn't have been nicer from the employees to the lumber crew staying there,The rooms above the bar are "interesting".Can't beat a place to sleep for $25.

You are correct about Hotel Central Parent.We were warned it was a pretty tough place but the people couldn't have been nicer from the employees to the lumber crew staying there,The rooms above the bar are "interesting".Can't beat a place to sleep for $25.

Really had a good time there, but first impressions could make you run and hide.

• 5 weeks later...

Really had a good time there, but first impressions could make you run and hide.

Saturday 3/5/16 Central had a Hawaiian Luau night with a band. Place all decorated, packed with "locals". Would have been fun bumping into you and Snow Farmer Dave. Just happened upon this party. :drinks:

post-318-0-80564800-1460031331_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-18460100-1460031364_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-65427500-1460031397_thumb.jpg