RWS Custom GPS Trail Maps

rws

My custom Garmin maps install into Mapsource where you then can select it for upload to your Garmin GPSr. All my maps are created with a transparent background so your basemap or any Garmin detailed maps (Topo, City Navigator etc) you upload along with the trail maps will show through. The trail maps can be toggled on/off in your GPSr just like any other Garmin map. A READ_ME_FIRST.txt file is included with installation/use instructions.

Screenshot from a Garmin GPS showing how trails will appear when uploaded along with Topo

GPSScreenshot-2.jpg

Michigan State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map with floating trail numbers

New York State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map with trail numbers

Minnesota State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map

Quebec Province-wide Snowmobile Trail Map color coded trails with floating trail numbers

Lake of the Woods Area Snowmobile Trail Map MN, Ontario and Manitoba

North Dakota State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map

PM me for this map

Custom Map Making Tutorial

I have created a video tutorial that uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit and genTYP...very nice front ends for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps with custom color trails into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper, MapsetToolkit and genTYP. Included in the zip file is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps

Here's a video tutorial that plays in Windows Media player to get you started making basic maps by tracing map features in Google Earth and then making and installing the map into your Garmin GPS. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps II

Tutorial 2....adding more detail to the previous Tutorial map....roads, airstrip, resort and parking lots. Once you learn the basics you can add all the detail you want to your maps. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

Thanks RWS. I think I figured a work around to get a basic routing using the Quebec map. I used Mapsource to create a route by picking the intersections where I want to go. I think it will alert me as the intersection gets close with the new trail number. The trail numbers show up in the turn list so I am hoping it works......

Thanks again...

rws,

Thank you very much for ALL that time you've put into this to help us "new to gps" :unknw: folks out. Also I showed my 8 and 9 year daughters, now they want to use it. :yahoo:

Just wanted to let you know how much it's helping.

Thanks again,

Bob

My custom Garmin maps install into Mapsource where you then can select it for upload to your Garmin GPSr. All my maps are created with a transparent background so your basemap or any Garmin detailed maps (Topo, City Navigator etc) you upload along with the trail maps will show through. The trail maps can be toggled on/off in your GPSr just like any other Garmin map. A READ_ME_FIRST.txt file is included with installation/use instructions.

Screenshot from a Garmin GPS showing how trails will appear when uploaded along with Topo

GPSScreenshot-2.jpg

Michigan State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map with floating trail numbers

New York State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map with trail numbers

Minnesota State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map

Quebec Province-wide Snowmobile Trail Map color coded trails with floating trail numbers

Lake of the Woods Area Snowmobile Trail Map MN, Ontario and Manitoba

North Dakota State-wide Snowmobile Trail Map

PM me for this map

Custom Map Making Tutorial

I have created a video tutorial that uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit and genTYP...very nice front ends for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps with custom color trails into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper, MapsetToolkit and genTYP. Included in the zip file is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps

Here's a video tutorial that plays in Windows Media player to get you started making basic maps by tracing map features in Google Earth and then making and installing the map into your Garmin GPS. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps II

Tutorial 2....adding more detail to the previous Tutorial map....roads, airstrip, resort and parking lots. Once you learn the basics you can add all the detail you want to your maps. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

rws,Do you if I could load Quebec trail maps into my Lowrance XOG gps?It uses SD cards for optional maps.

RWS, Thanks again for the Quebec maps. I have put on 2600 miles so far and find your maps very accurate and helpful especially at night and in bad visibility. I looked over your tutorial on map making and my head hurts.......how did you learn this stuff. I have a question.........I'd like to create a route to follow on my next trip north. Is it possible to create a route with turn by turn nav with your maps and a 60 CS? I have tried to do it but I don't want to destroy any maps or tracks I already have. Any guidance would be appreciated. I don't know how we got along before these devices. Rode 880 miles this weekend and knew where I was at all times. Thanks in advance.

RWS, Thanks again for the Quebec maps. I have put on 2600 miles so far and find your maps very accurate and helpful especially at night and in bad visibility. I looked over your tutorial on map making and my head hurts.......how did you learn this stuff. I have a question.........I'd like to create a route to follow on my next trip north. Is it possible to create a route with turn by turn nav with your maps and a 60 CS? I have tried to do it but I don't want to destroy any maps or tracks I already have. Any guidance would be appreciated. I don't know how we got along before these devices. Rode 880 miles this weekend and knew where I was at all times. Thanks in advance.

I'd doo like doobraap mentioned above...create a route in Mapsource with the Route Tool clicking on points of the trail map where you want to go...then upload to your GPS and navigate the route.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...