First run 2017

doonali

Left Maniwaki at 1:30 on Wed. 19th hit devils mountain and on to Mekoos for the night. 

Thur. up 53 to 33- 13 to 83 trails freshly groomed and fast. Saw five different Lynx on 53 pretty amazing! Lunch in Parent and onward across 83. Just before Windigos turn off we saw two moose.. What a day! Windigo for the night.

Fri. 83 to Relais 22 faaaast! fuel and head down 73 -355 -360 -345 to Le Cabanon for the night. Overall trails held up good. Esp. 83-360. LaTuque was wet with water holes.

Sat. 63 groomed to perfection after SMDS through the reserve. Half way through my buddy noticed a bearing race/ring on his foot board.. not good.. Inspection found it to be the jack shaft bearing.. 2017 Pro S Switchback.Decided to try to ride it out hopefully making it out to the west side at Red River a lot closer to our rig than heading back to SMDS luckily he made it to the RR grade and finally she let go shearing the jackshaft completely off!! Dropped a pin and left the sled and onward to Maniwaki on a mushy 53-local-324-63. 1.5 hr trip back up to retrieve sled and back in town by 7:30. Could have let go in a lot worse places.

830mi. 3 days and change.

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by doonali

2 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Hi Doonali,

Nice pics/run! 5 lynx and a moose is a super day.

Those jack shaft bearing's can be a real bummer when they go (Clova). 1.5 hours not bad.

Good to see you were able to finish your run.

Thank you,

Yes I remember your incident very well. You adapted and overcame like a champ.

I'm planning a 1100mi run west /northwest starting Feb 11th with the same guy and sled that let go! he's getting her all stitched up.

On a Polaris you can grease that bearing easily. Just pop off the driven clutch, pull the outer seal with a small screwdriver. push the grease in with finger and replace seal, & Clutch. Its not failsafe but does give me a little piece of mind.

1 hour ago, Snobeeler said:

On a Polaris you can grease that bearing easily. Just pop off the driven clutch, pull the outer seal with a small screwdriver. push the grease in with finger and replace seal, & Clutch. Its not failsafe but does give me a little piece of mind.

Two of my older Polaris have a grease nipple on the jack shaft bearing and a sticker on the air box reminding you to grease it. My Yammie doesn't, guessing it is a few bucks cheaper to manufacture with just a sealed bearing.