Whats best place to stay for first time riding in QC? Why?

actionjack

Capt. Storm inspired this topic in Rob's Come On guys thread.

For a first time snowmobiling in Quebec, where is the best place to stay and why? Not a poll, post your thoughts.

Motel Safari - free beer (1), secure parking, speaks english, lots of trail tips.

L'Esterel - great service, secure parking, english speaking, pool, spa, great trails, lots of activity options, Wanda.

St Michel des Saints - many lodging options, nightlife, lots of trails.

Saguenay (my first time in QC) many lodging options, the most snow usually, lots of nightlife, Mt Valin! (a must do at least once for sledders), long drive and less english speakers (imo).

IMO, St. Michel-des-Saints/St. Zenon area has the best area for accommodations, snowmobile service, gas stops and restaurants. Only problem is also the most traffic.

For shear riding, it's a toss up between Saguenay and Gaspe', check for reservations in Gaspe', though. Again, IMO.

Just spent a week in SMDS and I would say traffic was NOT a problem at all this year while we were there (25 Jan - 01 Feb). If anyone disagrees, sorry that was US, I brought up 11 sledders.

So, that was you hogging the trail. eh? Just kidding, actually, I never made it there this year yet. I just know from past years, as a general rule, usually that area has the most traffic. I call it the Old Forge of Canada. This year, seems to be light all over, I think due to the escalating cost with the exchange rate where it's at right now. The days of 1.5 to 1 are gone. :sad:

We can't ignore the Holiday Inn here in Jonquiere. The trails can't be beat, the service and atmosphere are the tops, and where else can you share a beer and conversation with Saguenay Bill and even the infamous Rob, LOL :good::hi::shok:

We can't ignore the Holiday Inn here in Jonquiere. The trails can't be beat, the service and atmosphere are the tops, and where else can you share a beer and conversation with Saguenay Bill and even the infamous Rob, LOL :good::hi::shok:

Not mention one of Bath,ME finest, Mikerider!!!

Bills right theres hot women in the Sagueney but fortunately thats a common occurance all over the Province. My first trip to Canada was Chaudierre/BSL saddlebag, we rode out to Rimouski from St Georges. Great riding well marked and close to those of us in ME, southeastern NH and Eastern MA. I''ve also taken the 9-10 hour ride 4 times to the Sagueney to ride. Driving to Sagueney is good early or late season but in the middle I'd stop closer to Quebec City or Shawinigan and ride up there for the best of both worlds. HI is a good place to stay and it's nice that Bills there to help the American riders out.

There is plenty of great riding all over Quebec. This year is one of the better years. :yahoo: The snow came early and so far it is still here.

There are not a lot of Americans due to the exchange rate, the fear of passports and there is plenty of snow in the States. This has cut down on snowmobile traffic and has made getting reservations easier. For those of us that still make the trek, we are being rewarded even though it is costing us a few more U.S. dollars.

The great volunteers. our hats off to them :drinks: , that groom day and night are still geared up from the previous years when it was difficult to keep up with the snowmobile traffic. This year with less traffic, the trails have stayed in good / great condition for a longer period of time. :good:

Most anywhere in Quebec is great riding. If this is a first time trip, then it would make sense to pick an area that a variety of day trips can be done out of a nice hotel of your choice. You probably wouldn't want to be saddle bagging on a first trip and you don't want to be traveling the same trail day after day. Hence, it should have many interconnecting trails to do day loops. It should also be an area with plenty of gas and pit stops.

Most of the hotels have bilingual staff. At the more popular hotels you will find english speaking snowmobilers. They may be Americans but don't forget about the riders from Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. These are also english speaking.

With that said;

If you are coming up thru VT, there is good riding south of Quebec City (which is south of the river). This area is Chaudiere-Appalaches. Plenty of good places to stay. There are many interconnecting trails that you can do day loops out of your hotel. :clapping:

If you are coming up thru NY State, then the St Gabriel / St Zenon / Esterel area is great. This overlaps the Mauricie / Lanaudiere / Laurentides regions. Like Greasemonkey and Actionjack said, there hasn't been the normal over population of sleds this year, there or anywhere. Again, many interconnecting trails. :D

If you want to travel a little further in the truck, the Lac St Jean area is fantastic. You may have to pay a little more attention to gas stops here especially as you get away from the Lac but it isn't really a problem as long as you pay attention. Saguenay Bill (and the infamous Rob :rofl: ) can give you plenty of pointers. :yahoo:

Western Quebec is the Abitibi region. If you are coming from the States, it is a very long haul by truck. It is not a day trip by sled either. There is great riding in the area but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time trip. This is an area that is made for touring.

Finally the eastern part of Quebec is the Gaspesie region. This has some beautiful scenery and more ups and downs than most, literally. This area is really set up more for touring than for day trippping. The perimeter trail, trail 5, is a must do but you need 5 days to really enjoy it. :good:

Happy trails to you. :D

• 2 weeks later...