River by LaTuque

S pump

Has anyone ridden the river by Latuque that runs from Lac Edouard down to Latuque. The St Maurice, I believe. Looks like great scenery and a good place to cover some miles. Where can you go from that area........I saw miles of it from the flatbed ride I took from Lac Edouard last year and was wondering.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but here goes...I don't know of a river that goes from Lac Edouard to LaTuque. The Maurice comes into LaTuque from the west, then goes south to Trois-Riviere. When going south from Latuque [by truck] on 155 you follow the river the entire way, but wouldn't see a snowmobile trail till a few miles past Riviere Matawin. That snowmobile trail is 347, and is on the river for ~20 miles till it turns off just north of Shawinigan. If thats the trail you're talking about, I ran it on Sunday [1/11/2009] and it was in the best shape I've seen it in a while.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but here goes...I don't know of a river that goes from Lac Edouard to LaTuque. The Maurice comes into LaTuque from the west, then goes south to Trois-Riviere. When going south from Latuque [by truck] on 155 you follow the river the entire way, but wouldn't see a snowmobile trail till a few miles past Riviere Matawin. That snowmobile trail is 347, and is on the river for ~20 miles till it turns off just north of Shawinigan. If thats the trail you're talking about, I ran it on Sunday [1/11/2009] and it was in the best shape I've seen it in a while.

Hey Scorpionbowl, at the end of the river, if you turn right and head inland, is the Cabana Hill relay still there? I haven't been in that area in years and don't see it listed on any of the maps. As for the northern end of that river, I don't recall ever seeing anyone running it. I've seen tracks come off the shoreline out a little ways then head back onto shore, but that's it.

I also have never seen tracks on that part of the river. You can ride the Riviere Cruche(sp) up to the village of La Cruche which is a nice ride if you like a crooked river. If there are no tracks then I don't go. When you see tracks and then broken ice it probably wouldn't make for an enjoyable day, expecially for the person that went through!

Karl

Hey Scorpionbowl, at the end of the river, if you turn right and head inland, is the Cabana Hill relay still there? I haven't been in that area in years and don't see it listed on any of the maps. As for the northern end of that river, I don't recall ever seeing anyone running it. I've seen tracks come off the shoreline out a little ways then head back onto shore, but that's it.

Yes "cabin on the hill"was still there last year.This is the place where alot of cross country skiers go.

First went there in 1985 I think. Always liked the breakfast there. Haven't been there is 10 years or so.

The Cabin on the hill is closed. The trail has been rerouted and doesn't go by it anymore. I think it closed last year. Too bad, always was a nice stop!

Karl

First went there in 1985 I think. Always liked the breakfast there. Haven't been there is 10 years or so.

Too bad. That was a nice pit stop, nice location. We use to like the Lumberjack Special dinner they served.

Bringing up the subject of Cabana Hill reminds me of one of those "I'll never forget this time" stories.

We were running late one night and still had to get back to LaGlacier. One of the sleds blew the rear clutch on the river.

We were able to tow it to Cabana Hill. We went inside, explained what happened and wanted to know if we could leave it.

Long story short, one of the women made a phone call and told us not to worry, help is coming. She tells us to tow it down to

the road and someone will be there with a trailer and will fix the clutch for us. The guy shows up, doesn't speak a word of English,

and motions us to load the sled on the trailer, which we did. The guy, along with the sleds owner go to his house, about a mile

down the road, and the guy proceeds to rebuild the rear clutch, (new spring). While they were gone, we ate the most food 4

people could possibly eat. The ladies working there were laughing at how much food we ate. It was about 10:00pm by the time

we were up and running again. That guy that fixed the sled didn't want a dime for his efforts! My buddy literally forced him

to take a $100.00 bill.

This was just one of the many, unique adventures, good or bad, that we snowmobilers always remember. Funny how 99% of the

time, a resident Canadian or 2 is mentioned in these stories because they went out of their way to help a snowmobiler. Think

this would happen in the states as often?

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, just re-lived an adventure related to Cabin on the Hill.