Joliette/St-Tite/ St-Alexis des Monts #3#23 trails 26feb 2012

towing

Sunday morning sunny sky -13C , Krikri and I started our ride from the home near Joliette. With the new snow on last friday (about 8” at home) and the cold weather we were hopeful that trails conditions would be nice in the south of our regions so we chose this route for our ride (south path to go on the morning and norther path to come back in th afternoon)

map-1.jpg

We had delayed our ride one day to allow time for the groomers to work with colder temperatures, well we have not been disappointed!

DSC01691.jpg

Incredible trails, just cold enough, very sunny ... the top!

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

The trails were very fast, the visibility was perfect, very easy to ride ... a true ride of lazy-boy!

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

We went through Charette ...

DSC01719.jpg

And crossed the St-Maurice river near the Gabelle bridge on #3 trail

DSC01730.jpg

It seems to have fallen a little more snow to the east of St-Maurice river, very nice conditions and we were riding on powder

DSC01734-1.jpg

We passed the Dozer north from Mt-Carmel

DSC01741.jpg

If you look on the map(first pic), south from Grand-Mere on #3 trail, there is a long very straight line, well it's really like that ...

DSC01745.jpg

Once at St-Stanislas on Batiscan river, we quit the #3 trail and have turned northward towards St-Tite

DSC01751.jpg

We rode up to St-Severe de Prouxville (6 miles south from St-Tite) where we stopped to lunch at the restaurant l’Incontournable

DSC01756-1.jpg

After a good meal, we continued to St-Tite

DSC01761-1.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

and took the #23 trail westbound

DSC01776-1.jpg

DSC01779.jpg

We re-crossed the St-Maurice river in Grand-Mere

DSC01782.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

And continued on #23 trail

DSC01792.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

We then turned on #349 trail south

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

Then we took the trail on the Lac a l’eau Claire. A few years ago, I had the fright of my life on this lake, passing over a windswept section free of snow, the ice of 18 "or more was transparent like glass and I really felt for a moment that it was clear water ... I think about it every time I pass there.

DSC01838.jpg

And here the beautiful Auberge du Lac à l’eau Claire

DSC01840.jpg

We went down south to St-Alexis des Monts. Their ice bridge look rather strange but do the job...

DSC01851.jpg

The river on left side

DSC01853.jpg

After having fueled up at the village, we continued again to the south

DSC01858.jpg

We stopped at Pourvoirie du Lac Blanc to take a small break

DSC01860.jpg

I would not trade my Venture for this but ...

DSC01865.jpg

admit they are charming ...

DSC01870.jpg

We continued to Mandeville

DSC01884.jpg

The trails were beat a bit but very soft, so we were cruising at good speed over the powder. We took the trail #345 and continued south. Here a little south of St-Gabriel de Brandon

DSC01897.jpg

We were back home at 18:00 with 242 miles on the dreammeter.

In summary, the new snow really revived the trail conditions all over the south and handed the icing on the cake over the north where the conditions were already very good. We have an impressive snow cover up north, enought to expect still many weeks of good riding there. If the cold weather and snow expected this week can materialize, we will still be able to even enjoy the south side for few rides... look good by now monday evening, snowing and an inch more to the ground !!!!

:drinks:

Alain

Thank you all guys :drinks:

That second photo is AWESOME with the shadow on the snow of the photographer and her chauffer on that limousine!

It's even more special to know that Krikri snapped that when we were cruising in the 60s mph, it's a very nice shot B)

DSC01692.jpg

It was also special to see the snow cloud shadow behind us...

DSC01700.jpg

Nice report and pics. We love the pics of the Huskies. Here is a pic of Maya, Sharon and Apache. Sharon is the one with 2 legs.

Very nice dogs... and girl ;)

Those at Lac Blanc were surely used to deep cold with their thick and dense fur. Those husky are all specials with their sharp blue eyes...

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing