Big loop St-Zenon/Mattawin/Shawinigan photo ride report 31january2015

towing

Saturday morning, a beautiful sunny day ahead -26°C ... brrrrrrrrrr !.We are nearly in February in the best of the season so it was the perfect time for another of our classic ride: The big loop Joliette/St-Zenon/Mattawin via #360 trail/Shawinigan and return by the south side. Here’s the final path traveled:

474ba0ab-016f-4eef-b377-65716ff987d2_zps

We had several ride partners: Horsroute that started from Laval and Steph who was leaving L'Assomption both by sled while Snowcruiser came drop his snowmobile at my home. We started our ride all together from our meeting point, the St-Thomas gas station at 8:40

DSC06157_zpsbomkb1pd.jpg

The 4” of new snow we received Thursday evening combined with the deep cold gave us ideal trails conditions, well above the usual for the entire day, from fresh groomed trails to very good condition throughout the ride. My krikri who had a cold was dressed like an onion to face this cold day in backseat and at my request she had limited her pics shots while riding to avoid to voluntarily freeze her hands. The riding report will be a little less colourful but the key information will be there

It was a good day for chance encounter. Here we met Stef40 from cmiq waiting for his riding partner near Notre-Damde de Lourdes. We usually year after year cross our paths a time or two during the season. It was brief Stef but it's still a pleasure to shake your hand!

DSC06159_zpsq1of1pht.jpg

We stopped a few minutes to warm us up at a junction north of St-Felix de Valois and another great meeting for me, TrailBlazer! It was the first time we had the chance to cross our path and it was a real pleasure to talk a bit with you and your group! I hope you had a good ride and enjoy the return path I had suggest you…

DSC06165_zps0sn7yhkw.jpg

We continued on a perfect trail to St-Gabriel de Brandon and then we took the #23 North. I want to say a big BRAVO! to St-Gabriel de Brandon snowmobile club who take care of this trail this year up to the #350 north. They had cut branches and they groom much wider than before. I do not have pictures that do justice to the work done this year, but it gives a trail with better visibility and more space to ride and cross other sledders, really a big improvement ... BRAVO!

DSC06172_zps9z8uv4he.jpg

We had continued on the #23

DSC06177_zpssreepp0z.jpg

And arrived at around 11:15 at Cabanon

DSC06182_zpszdmgk7br.jpg

We had fuel up and took our lunch break. Again, pleasant encounters: ford347 from CMIQ who came to shake my hand and also our friend Bily with whom we rode a few times who was taking a break to warm up with her boy. We left a little past 12:30 going northbound. The snow amount in this sector is very good ...

DSC06188_zps28kn2u7d.jpg

We pass the bridge over the Mattawin river

DSC06203_zpsuwpadckq.jpg

This river has not frozen yet because of high water flow. It’s because they empty the Taureau reservoir via this river in anticipation of spring waters. This gives many beautiful winter views ...

DSC06202_zpsjf35laqb.jpg

The #360 trail is my favourite trail in the area. It is a beautiful trail rather wide with good visibility,groomed on a beautiful forest road of the Zec Chapeau de paille with good stretches and nicely shape curves.

DSC06226_zpswhigvu3w.jpg

In addition, the scenery is complemented in several spots by the river flowing at clear water right next

DSC06233_zpsw26cybfo.jpg

We took a break at my favourite spot ...

DSC06255_zpsvmfzz92y.jpg

DSC06244_zpswfu6hjbp.jpg

Then we continued ... the classic view already somewhat in the shadows

DSC06261_zpsaq9rfwtt.jpg

And we stopped to refuel and take a good break at Marineau at 3:00 p.m.

DSC06275_zpspcykrr9p.jpg

We then left southbound to get on the St-Maurice river. The 20milesof river was good overall but with some snow blades which limited my speed with my passenger but not my friends who have gone ahead to enjoy the powder

DSC06287_zpsxkqorich.jpg

DSC06308_zps4xztc8jj.jpg

We joined them back at the #23 junction

DSC06310_zpsbt0gkmgr.jpg

We had continue down, picked up the #3 trail and rode until next refuel at the gas station near the Gabelle dam in St-Étienne des Grès. We continued and kept the #3 trail (instead of taking the #63) to stop supper at Portes de la Mauricie in Yamachiche. I was a little worried to ride as down south along #40 Highway about snow issue but it was okay. Good hard packed trail, no earth and despite we saw less well with the dark I would say almost no brownish snow.

After a good big meal break where we talked a lot and we had well warmed up, we were ready for the final stretch via trail #3/local St-Norbert St-Elizabeth+/#43. The cold was come back, and I kept it easy on the throttle to avoid to froze my Krikri on the back but we still got back to our morning meeting spot near home at 8:50pm with 297miles for us .... plus l’Assomption round trip for Steph and Laval round trip for Horsroute!

A good ride mileage but so nice and easy to ride through this path that consists of easy and fast trails in the majority. I recommend it without hesitation to all lover of good rides or those less ambitious who would like to relax and ride it in 2 days.

This was my best ride this season and the new venture ride like a charm!

It's really the best time to ride

beer_cheers.gif

Alain

It was a real pleasure meeting up with you and KriKri, when I arrived at the inetersection where you and your group was taking a break i saw that very noticeable Venture of yours from all your internet pics. I had to stop and say hello.

Thanks very much for the return suggestion of yours, I did take you up on it and was indeed a quick return, it took us the better part of the day to get to Shawinagan although we did not make our lunch destination as we took a wrong turn, instead of taking the 349 North to the 23 we took the 345 then 350, had lunch at Koubecs. We arrive in Shawinigan at 3:30 took gas and your route took us 3 hours to return. All trails were hard flat and very very fast. 385 Klms not as big as your ride Alain, your still the king of day loops.

All your pics do Justine for everyone looking, keep up the good work.

JG

It was a real pleasure meeting up with you and KriKri, when I arrived at the inetersection where you and your group was taking a break i saw that very noticeable Venture of yours from all your internet pics. I had to stop and say hello.

Thanks very much for the return suggestion of yours, I did take you up on it and was indeed a quick return, it took us the better part of the day to get to Shawinagan although we did not make our lunch destination as we took a wrong turn, instead of taking the 349 North to the 23 we took the 345 then 350, had lunch at Koubecs. We arrive in Shawinigan at 3:30 took gas and your route took us 3 hours to return. All trails were hard flat and very very fast. 385 Klms not as big as your ride Alain, your still the king of day loops.

All your pics do Justine for everyone looking, keep up the good work.

JG

I'm really glad you had took the time to stop for us :good: finally, your wrong turn lead you on a easier trail path less twisty overall, longer in mileage a bit but the Koubec is a nice spot to bring a group that have not seen it before. Glad you had enjoy your south side return, always nice to end a ride on a good note!

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT RIDE . great pics . I bet you were glad to have that BIG WINDSHIELD on that sled . go big or go home .. in the cold..

Thanks Grumpy! this huge and ugly thing that I had want to replace had won his ticket to stay there! the more I look at it and the more it look nice now!!!!!!!!!!

Nice run, some of our favorite trails.

a nice one for sure!

Nice report & great pics Alain & Krikri. Looks like you had a good day to ride.

I recognized you in that pic right away Jean-Guy! Hope to catch up with you this winter.

Have fun,

Tom

Thanks Tom, it was one of the best days to ride of the whole season

Great story and pictures. I think you like looking at water: rivers, as much as I do. They are beautiful and I always think there must be big trout in those rivers.

Thank you for sharing.

mike

Thank you Mike! Yes, I love all rivers scenery even i'm not really a fisher. Looking at those turbulent water waves flowing in a winter scenery had always fascinate me, so much nice :rolleyes: