St-Zenon 13-12-09 photoride report

towing

It was my first ride of the season yesderday (Sunday). It was very cloudy for pictures but it will give you an idea of what it looks like. We first start from the Glacière...

DSC06279Large.jpg

As expected, it was season beginning conditions. The snow base is not big and not very hard yet. The ground ans rocks are not far and mix with the snow on some places. I had installed a set of used carbides so I was not worried about the "klink-Klang" sounds under the skis :thumbsup:

We fisrt head up to the Cabanon on #345 trail. It had pretty much traffic on saturday and the little snow base is not enought strong to groom each day so we deal with a moderate moguls trail... A good opportunity to test the suspention of my new sled. it was a little ruff at start but we get some pretty good streches after...

DSC06284Large.jpg

It is a good thing that we had no river to cross in the St-Zenon area because it just begin to freeze up..

DSC06288Large.jpg

Few setup on the suspention and we open the throttle a little more...

DSC06290Large.jpg

DSC06295Large.jpg

We still need to be very carefull because ther are some "pot hole" and rocks but it is soooooo good to ride again this season...

DSC06296Large.jpg

We stopped to lunch at Cabanon...

DSC06309Large.jpg

After talking with others sledders, we decided to go to the Taureau Dam. The first 5 miles was a little sandy on some places...

DSC06311Large.jpg

But after the trail came back in a Mastigouche park road and became really nice with some near perfect condition streches...

DSC06313Large.jpg

And continue in dam direction....

DSC06321Large.jpg

To be continued...

Alain

So we headed in the dam direction

DSC06324Large.jpg

It become a little more ruff on the last 4 miles before the dam

DSC06328Large.jpg

And the dam...

DSC06338Large.jpg

It had alot of from the lake and the rocks are uncovered on the dam border so we stayed on the top...

DSC06337Large.jpg

We talked a litttle bit and headed back on the same trail in Cabanon direction...

DSC06345Large.jpg

We just talked on how we need some more snow to imrpove conditions that it begin to snow...

DSC06351Large.jpg

More and more...

DSC06348Large.jpg

Just south from the Mastigouche park gate, we took the #318 trail that crossed the park. we immediately see that there were very low traffic and we ride around 10 miles of near just grommed trail...

DSC06355Large.jpg

DSC06358Large.jpg

We decided to come back in Cabanon direction because we are alone and not really 100% sure to have enought gaz or deal with unexpected.. so we took back the #345 in Cabanon direction...

DSC06362Large.jpg

The sandy part is all whitened with this new snow...

DSC06368Large.jpg

And put some gaz at Cabanon and headed back to Glaciere

DSC06372Large.jpg

It was snowing pretty much...

DSC06378Large.jpg

It become to be pretty dark but with this new snow it is really beautifull

DSC06383Large.jpg

And we came back at the starting point whit a good 110 miles on the meter

DSC06385Large.jpg

DSC06387Large.jpg

In conclusion, it is not perfects conditions. Yes there are some rocks and the base is still thin. In riding carefully we had a great ride. There was around 2 more inches of new snow on the car when we leaved St-Zenon and it was still snowing. I hope we will get more this week... I go back there next week-end...

Bye

Alain

Edited by towing