St-Gabriel Brandon/ St-Zenon/ Mastigouche park 19/12/09

towing

Yesterday, -15C, beautiful sunny day my wife and me started our ride a little more south at St-Gabriel de Brandon on #345 trail

DSC06392Large.jpg

It was the first gromming so it is not perfect but it's a beginning. I make my effort and removed some branchs

DSC06393Large.jpg

The first field trail was nearly perfect

DSC06396Large.jpg

A view of this new portion of trail near St-Damien

DSC06400Large.jpg

We rode carefully in St-Zenon direction. There was a little ruff segment of 1 miles near pourvoirie St-Damien but it was very good after.

DSC06408Large.jpg

The trail was beautiful and we ride at good speed. We still need to be carefull because there were still little surprises sometimes but it was pretty fine

DSC06420Large.jpg

There is still some lumberjack activity in this area (should end very soon) so we need to do around 1 mile on the border of this road just before...

DSC06423Large.jpg

pouvoirie Réal Massé...

DSC06424Large.jpg

Trail become even better after. The 345 between la Glacière and the Cabanon was freshly groommed

DSC06433Large.jpg

DSC06435Large.jpg

to be continued

Alain

and very good and fast...

DSC06440Large.jpg

action shot ...

DSC06442Large.jpg

and we arrived at Cabanon

DSC06443Large.jpg

The cold week hard froze the Stanislas lake that is ready for drags

DSC06444Large.jpg

After the lunch, we continue on the #345 in the direction to take the #318 trail that we just tried a little last week-end. It was a little bumpy at first but ride fine

DSC06450Large.jpg

And we took the #318 est direction. Freshly groomed and near no traffic since = near perfect conditions

DSC06456Large.jpg

This trail is groomed on a park road, perfect condition on long strechs...

DSC06461Large.jpg

It's a forgotten area from alot of people so there is very low traffic...

DSC06462Large.jpg

Some strechs are pretty fast

DSC06474Large.jpg

to be continued

Alain

Edited by towing

and the scenic was very nice

DSC06478Large.jpg

DSC06480Large.jpg

We took a little break at Maubèche falls

DSC06499Large.jpg

A little walk and we took a break on the river border

DSC06491Large.jpg

And we continued

DSC06500Large.jpg

I stopped to remove some rocks from this beautiful trail

DSC06501Large.jpg

And we took the #350 trail to go to Koubec. Trail condition was a little less good on the last 5 miles before we arrivied there..

DSC06509Large.jpg

We took back the #350 trail in Glacière direction. This trail was'nt recently grommed and was pretty much bumpy.

DSC06511Large.jpg

We continu and conditions improved a little until we go cross and took the #345 trail that we used in the morning that was still in very good conditions

DSC06514Large.jpg

We took a brake at Real Massé

DSC06521Large.jpg

And we go back to our starting point with a total of 165 miles on the dream meter

To conclude, trail conditions improved from last weekend with the snow and the cold weather. Groomers do miracles with the snow they have. The snow base is still thin and there are few rocks in some area. The south of Lanaudiere begin to open their trails, the one near my home was groomed today so the traffic will divide throught more large area and will help trails to hold...

Next ride on the chritmas week-end for me...

Bye

Alain

:clapping: Great report Alain! You have my blood pumping now, I am planning a week at LeCabanon starting the 17th of Jan. We will for sure hit Parc Mt. Tremblant (maybe for last time ever) and also our favorite ride up to Kanawata. Probably also go to Matawin by way of the side trail through the burn. Can't wait keep the posts coming. :yahoo:

I have a delema, I was going to go to NY after x-mas for my 1st ride, but it is looking bleek up there. NY is only 5 hrs north, or do I make the 10 1/2 hr drive to St. Zenon. I guess this question is for Alain, Is it worth the drive? I definately want to go somewhere I have 2 weeks with no work. I feel I have to go somewhere. The drive does not bother me, but there are a lot of extra fuel cost. I plan on leaving on the 28th. I been up there in the past before New Years and it was decent.

Thank you guys :good:

I have a delema, I was going to go to NY after x-mas for my 1st ride, but it is looking bleek up there. NY is only 5 hrs north, or do I make the 10 1/2 hr drive to St. Zenon. I guess this question is for Alain, Is it worth the drive? I definately want to go somewhere I have 2 weeks with no work. I feel I have to go somewhere. The drive does not bother me, but there are a lot of extra fuel cost. I plan on leaving on the 28th. I been up there in the past before New Years and it was decent.

Big delema :unknw:... I really think the answer is yes it worth it :good: . It still need some snow to give very good condition but it is snowing right now and if we get the 6" to 8 " they preview on next saturday we will have great conditions on a very large area of trails. You can PM artcat900 that was in the area last week, he will give you an other advise opinion.

I will ride next saturday (26 ) and report the conditions to you...

Bye :drinks:

Alain

Thank you guys :good:

Big delema :unknw:... I really think the answer is yes it worth it :good: . It still need some snow to give very good condition but it is snowing right now and if we get the 6" to 8 " they preview on next saturday we will have great conditions on a very large area of trails. You can PM artcat900 that was in the area last week, he will give you an other advise opinion.

I will ride next saturday (26 ) and report the conditions to you...

Bye :drinks:

Alain

I am already leaning that direction after todays weather report for NY. Sleet, freezing rain and then rain for NY. and the trails are already marginal there. That weather could really destroy what they already have. I am probably going to make up my mind Saturday afternoon. That will mean 3 trips to Quebec this year. That is not a bad thing at all. After all I skipped NY 3 years in a row for a reason! Thanks for your reply, I will look for your next post this weekend.

• 2 months later...